Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who has more than 1 road bike and how do you justify it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Who has more than 1 road bike and how do you justify it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-03, 02:53 AM
trmcgeehan

Bikes: 1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You definitely need two road bikes. When one is in the shop, you can keep riding and not get depressed. And you don't have to pressure your LBS guy to hurry up with the repairs.
Old 06-27-03, 05:01 AM
TimB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 bikes:
2Mtb: 1 race and one for trail and touring.

2Road: 1 for racing and 1 for time trials, triathlon and training

simple really. I still need one for commuting....
Old 06-27-03, 06:28 AM
caadman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I justify my 3 road bikes, because I use them and they go with the clothes that I have for riding them..I like making the colors of my clothes go with the color and design of the bike I'm riding.....Plus when one bike needs service I have another bike to ride and don't have to worry about that..But I also agree with some of the other comments on this post, about having different bikes for different types of riding..One of the three road bikes I have is geared for climbing and has a triple front on it, the other two have double chainrings cause they're for faster riding..

So it's pretty easy to justify having more than one or two bikes for me, and I would think that if you're really into cycling, you would want to have more than one..

Just my two cents worth..

Benjamin
Old 06-27-03, 06:38 AM
WoodyUpstate
xc AND road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 mtbs - hardtail and dualie.
1 road bike.

Justification . . . I quit that a long time ago. Accept that you are human and you lust. This doesn't mean that we act on every impulse or desire. However, sometimes, in my life I say, "what the heck" and go buy it. Yeah, I'm married, have a mortgage, two kids, and a business, etc., etc. But sometimes, lust overcomes and there is no justification. You have to have for the sake of having. Then again, sometimes you simply cannot have no matter the intensity of your desire.

Finally, if you can't afford it, don't do it, and beware of the credit card. If you're trying to justify it, you probably can't afford it.
Old 06-27-03, 06:54 AM
cyclemonkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got 5 in my garage. I have so many because I when I get a new one I can't bear to throw out the old one. All of them get used, I make sure of that.

One MTB
1 good road bike
1 spare road bike
1 tourer
1 fixie
and
1 very understanding girlfriend!
Old 06-27-03, 07:51 AM
FOG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have three cars and five pairs of skis(six if youwant to count the cross country), excluding skis for my kids, in which case there are well over a dozen more. why would I have to justify owning a few bikes? Only one of my bikes costs more than a new pair of skis.
Old 06-27-03, 09:11 AM
talkdj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new C'dale is my everyday bike....The Trek is for when my wife wants to "bless" the Fresno asphalt as she doesn't really like to ride anymore and gets very angry at me for not staying with her when we are doing the bike riding in the park thing. I also like riding the Trek when I feel the urge, but now that I have the R800 I ride that almost all of the time.

Though my LBS is taking bets on when I get bike #3...more carbon roadie (5500 or maybe R2000/3000?). Frankly, I'm done with buying any more bikes till I get the rest of the weight off. Well than maybe I'll do the Project One or something else...but tha'ts another thread!

-Wynn
Old 06-27-03, 11:25 AM
mrfix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
7 here, no justification, I just want them, in fact, I want more.
Old 06-27-03, 04:58 PM
Chasbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it is french for riding until your ass turns purple

LMAO....that is PRICELESS.

Chuck
Old 06-27-03, 05:15 PM
KnightWhoSaysNi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep riding my cheap road bike, makes me appreciate the expensive one more.
Old 06-27-03, 11:10 PM
don d.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hello, my names Don, and I have a problem. I have more than 1 bicycle. In fact, I have more bicycles than I could ride in a week. I have a Colnago Oval Master, a Klein Stage Comp, a Ti Sport Ti road bike, a Bianchi Pista, a Trek 440, a Novara Ponderosa mtb, a Bike Friday folder, and a Cannondale r400 that's never been ridden and I'm trying to sell.

You want me to list all the bikes I've had in my life? To bad, I can't stop now. I've had 3 Allegros, a Raleigh pro, a Campania, a Motobecane mirage, a Fuji track bike, a Tim Isaac, a Bianchi Superleggera, a Dave Moulton Fuso, 2 more Cannondales, a Legnano track bike, a Lejeune track bike, a Schwinn V'ger(anybody get that?), a Motobecane Grand Record, an Angel Rodriguez, 2 Gitane Tandems, a very high heeled British racing bike, the name of which I forget, that I bought, rode once, and the thing pretty much bucked me off on the first bumpy road, so I sold it after one ride, a Masi Gran Criterium Cyclocross bike, a Colnago Mexico, a Colnago Super, and I can't think of any more right now.

My favorite descender was far and away the Bianchi, my favorite all day bike was either the Isaac or the Rodriguez, my favorite training bike was the V'ger, my favorite criterium bike was any Cannondale, and my favorite track bike was, well I guess it was the Fuji.

What is that, 30 bikes? I'm sick. I need help. Am I in the right Place?

Old 06-27-03, 11:51 PM
The Terminator
Bike for life.

Bikes: KHS Alite 1000 mtb, Bianchi Celeste Campione, all Campy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Markedoc
1 road bike (just bought - Lemond Victoire) and 1 mountain bike (Trek 700 or something) ... road bike is for daily riding, mountain bike is for riding with the kids and some off road.

Mark,
That is exactly what I do with my two bikes. One for knocking around town, and one for serious riding. I could not be happier. I do have one goal, when I drop to 180 lbs or so weight wise, I am going to buy a titanium something or another, and maybe put some Shimano 105 or better on it.
Old 06-29-03, 05:16 PM
masertidoes185

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, Im amused when I hear of all the high priced bikes one person owns. When I was a little tyke (about 12/13 yrs old) I always got mountain or bmx bikes for presents. Problem was I wanted road bikes after fixing one up from the dump and finding out how much faster they were. So I enlisted a few of my freinds to help me get more from the dump reasoning that we could sell some after fixing them. Little did I realize most of those bikes were there for a reason haha. After a few days of swapping parts and banging hammers on rims too bent to adjust traditionally we had one motley road bike so hideous none of my freinds would ride it around publicly. We still tried to sell the other three at a grand yard sale filled with other garbage nobody else wanted. When that failed we decided to have some fun with them by riding the bikes off cliffs, bridges, and waterfalls. This was the beginning of my affair with road bikes.
Old 06-29-03, 06:39 PM
pinerider
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 4 roaders, (had 5, gave one away) and I need them all! My justification is I just can't turn down a bargain - these are all mid 80's, max price 40 bucks. So far, I've just bought tubes and tires and rode them! I need 1 for "the cottage", 1 for a summer commuter (still working on that one) 1 for road rides and 1 just in case. 2 Bianchis, a Raleigh and a Cambio-Rino. I also have a mid 80's Nishiki sans front wheel that I fished out of a scrap bin with a slightly bent seat stay that would like nice restored or just might end up as parts.

I'm planning on buying something new next year
Old 06-30-03, 02:14 AM
trmcgeehan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read that Lance's buddy, Robin Williams, has multiple bikes valued at $100,000 in his San Francisco garage. Must be nice!
Old 06-30-03, 01:33 PM
caroljm36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually my good light bike, a Lemond, was my first road bike in years, then a year later I bought a less expensive Bianchi Volpe. The Lemond is nice for summer riding, but too flashy to take to work, and I didn't want to put fenders on it or wear my clipless shoes to work and all that. Plus, no rack eyelets. So the Volpe is my workhorse--it came with knobby tires which I use for early spring training rides. Then I switch out to regular 28s in April. It has fenders, a rack and a lock hanging on it. The paint job is more conservative and I love it for commuting. So it's my commuter, rain bike and touring bike.

At times though I am very torn between them and wish I had just one bike to Love.
Old 06-30-03, 02:58 PM
caadman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mrfix, I love your way of putting it, plain and simple, keep it up..Very good way of putting it, and I agree with you when I really get down to it..

Benjamin
Old 06-30-03, 03:59 PM
mnppunky
Indiana roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 road bikes: 1 is up to date & the other is retro. MY wife doesnt mind because it keeps me happy and she says i am easier to get along with if I am riding frequently!
Old 06-30-03, 07:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have two road bikes. REI Novara roadie that's for commuting, riding to River Cats games, taking a spin with my wife. Not a great bike but good value.

And then there's my rocket: Trek 5200. Super fast, super responsive, super smooth.

(I'm thinking I'd also like to get a hardtail mtb for trips to Tahoe and out to the coast.)
Old 07-03-03, 11:54 PM
ClevelandGuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Litespeed Veneto, love the ride,,, a Giant OCR1 that i cant stand now that I have the Litespeed. A full suspension mountain bike and my first bike a hybred that I dont ride anymore either...... sure beats smoking!
Old 07-03-03, 11:56 PM
don d.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally posted by ClevelandGuy
..... sure beats smoking!
I don't know, Camel non-filters are pretty tasty!

Old 07-04-03, 03:56 AM
trmcgeehan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don D.: You're right about Camel non-filters. Years ago, when I was in Marine Corps boot camp, they didn't let us smoke for the first 8weeks. Then one day, the DI said: "Who wants a cigarette?" We all said: "We do, sir!" He put us into formation and had us take one cigarette out and light it. Then he told us to inhale and hold it. The whole platoon just about fell to the ground, and the DI got a great kick out of it. We were really realing! The cigarettes were C-ration -- packed during world war II, which made them about 15 years old. Back then, a carton of Camels was $2 at the PX. You could get a mixed drink at the enlisted club for 25 cents. So you could smoke yourself to oblivion and get roaring drunk for about $2. I don't think the military services encourage smoking and drinking any more, but they sure did in the late 1950's!
Old 07-27-03, 07:39 PM
johnnyk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with mrfix also. One can never have too many bikes. Yah, I know, you can only ride one at a time, but it's neat to have multiple rides to choose from.

My stable includes a Trek OCLV, a Serotta CSi, a Trek 830 mtb, a FUJI track with flip-flop hub, and my beater-bike, a Shogun equipped with RSX 7-spd stuff with a flat bar, and an older Schwinn in the process of converting to a SS.
Old 07-27-03, 10:28 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Why do you have to justify having more than one bike? If the money is available after the necessities have been taken care of, there in no justification necessary. I like having more than one bike, it makes riding all that more interesting. Plus it gives you more experience in choosing the next bike. You are getting another, bike aren't you?
Old 07-28-03, 06:15 AM
BikingCT

Bikes: 2002 Cannondale R3000 Si Triple; 2003 Cannondale R900 Si

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have three bikes:

Cannondale R3000 -- primary road bike
Cannondale R900 -- permanently attached to the trainer for winter, night and bad weather days
Connondale Silk Trail -- collecting dust

How to justify it....well, the first two make sense...I mean, it's a pain bringing the bike from the garage to the basement to put it on the trainer, right? And I don't want to have to swap tires everytime I mount it on the trainer. Definitely need two bikes.

The trail...well, that was a mistake...an old girlfriend who wanted to bike with me on a "casual ride" basis, so we both bought Silk Trails. "Casual" was also how she felt about our relationship, but that's another story...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.