Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Difference between Tiagra and 105 FDR

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-03, 08:44 AM
talkdj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was cleaning up the C'dale this morning and I noticed that the FDR on the R800 was a Tiagra and NOT a 105 as speced on the Cannondale web site for the R800. It's brand new, a 2003 model.

Should I be concerned? Would I really notice a difference? I guess I am just a little miffed that it's not full 105 like the web site said it should be.

I hope I'm not being a big baby!

Happy 4th to all of you too!

-Wynn
Old 07-04-03, 08:54 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
If it works, it works..... In a year or two, the upgrade bug will bite; and you'll be debating Ultegra,Durace, and Campy....hehehe
Old 07-04-03, 09:18 AM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally posted by talkdj
I was cleaning up the C'dale this morning and I noticed that the FDR on the R800 was a Tiagra and NOT a 105 as speced on the Cannondale web site for the R800. It's brand new, a 2003 model.

Should I be concerned? Would I really notice a difference? I guess I am just a little miffed that it's not full 105 like the web site said it should be.

I hope I'm not being a big baby!

Happy 4th to all of you too!

-Wynn
We do our best to ensure web content accurately reflects exact product spec, however, as changes occur there may be brief delays in site updates. We reserve the right to make spec changes to improve products without prior notification, which may cause short-term differences in the information listed on the web.
However, their website does (currently) indicate that the FD is Tiagra. If however the literature you have says it should be 105, I'd be a little miffed since it's new and all. I'm not sure you'd notice the difference although the 105 front derailleur might shift a little smoother/cleaner and with a lighter action.
Old 07-04-03, 09:24 AM
talkdj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by khuon
However, their website does (currently) indicate that the FD is Tiagra. If however the literature you have says it should be 105, I'd be a little miffed since it's new and all. I'm not sure you'd notice the difference although the 105 front derailleur might shift a little smoother/cleaner and with a lighter action.
Interesting. Before I posted this thread I went up to the site and checked and it said the FDR was/is 105. I didn't see any reference to Tiagra for the R800 Triple.

I'm sure that all I have to do is take the bike over to my LBS and ask them. These guy's are so cool that they'll most likely change it out to 105 for me. I have to take it in for the 30 day tighten up the stuff check-up. I'm off to Seattle next week for a few weeks and I want to make sure the bike is ready to go.

-Wynn
Old 07-04-03, 09:30 AM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally posted by talkdj
I'm off to Seattle next week for a few weeks and I want to make sure the bike is ready to go.
If you want to do a ride while you're up here, let me know. However, I'm out of town next week but will be back on Friday and then I'm doing the STP that weekend but since you say you'll be here for a few weeks, we can probably come up with a mutually agreeable time for a ride.
Old 07-04-03, 02:17 PM
Rich Clark
A Heart Needs a Home

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently there's the "R800 Triple" which has a 105 FD, and an "R800 Sport," also a triple, which has a Tiagra FD.

FWIW.

RichC
Old 07-04-03, 05:12 PM
danr

Bikes: Trek 8000 (I'm testing a prototype).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All FDRs suck. If anything, I'd fight it just for the principle.
Old 07-07-03, 10:19 AM
meltable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front derailleurs are very simple and I doubt if there would be a noticeable difference from Tiagra to Dura-ace, except maybe weight and the idea that you've got "the best". However, the R800 should come with full 105 and you should either get it changed over to 105 or maybe an additional discount if you don't mind the difference.

Are you going for the double or triple? I originally ordered my R800 in a double, but there was some confusion and it was built as a triple. I rode it for several days before taking it in for the conversion to double, and I found the shifting performance increased greatly with the granny ring out of there.

Unless you live in a *very* hilly area I would suggest the double. I'm thinking about changing over to a larger cassette, so that I will still run two rings up front but have lower ratios. Even on downhill sprints I rarely use some of the really large ratios, but there are times where it would be nice to have a little lower gearing. ;-)

The R800 is an amazing bike, congratulations on an excellent choice!

Good luck!
Mike
Old 07-07-03, 12:22 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally posted by meltable
Front derailleurs are very simple and I doubt if there would be a noticeable difference from Tiagra to Dura-ace, except maybe weight and the idea that you've got "the best".
The only front derailleur that I've seen that is quite different from the rest of the others in the lineup is the XTR (pre-2003 FD-M952) one with the multi-linkage differential-plate cage that does give quite a bit smoother shifting.

https://bike.shimano.com/mtb/XTR/comp...number=FD-M952

I actually consider it a superior FD than my D-A FD.
Old 07-08-03, 06:08 PM
klb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi!

The exact same thing happened to me with the R800 feminine I purchased in May. I called Cannondale and was told that they have the right to substitute any part without warning and without a changing the price. This fact is indeed stated on their webpage . I asked my local dealer to call Cannondale to see if he could do anything about it, but he was told the same thing. The dealer offered to ask my area's Cannondale rep to replace the FDR because he thinks the rep will want to keep up good customer relations. I am still waiting for the results. I've read about this happening to four other people who recently purchased the R800. I guess the best advice I can give is to see what your dealer can do because Cannondale won't budge. (Other than all of that trouble, I absolutely LOVE the bike!! )

Kimberly
Old 07-08-03, 06:29 PM
talkdj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Kimberly! I just got the bike back from it's 30 day check up and as I thought my LBS said they would change out the DR to 105 for no charge. One of the guy's there told me that mid year Cannondale started hanging Tiagra FDR's instead of the 105's.

I was told that there is no real difference between the two. I came in today to pick the bike up and I noticed that they had changed the FDR to 105.

As you say, they didn't have to do it for me, but they take great care of their customers!

-Wynn
Old 07-08-03, 08:11 PM
KennethToronto
Go Go Fassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There really isn't a difference....well, maybe a few grams and a different label.
Old 08-30-03, 09:30 AM
madness7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with the 2003 R800 I bought.
One mail to the shop and they replaced the Tiagra. Must have been my lucky day - I found that they had replaced it with an Ultegra mech.
The R800 is a superb bike in either case though.
Old 08-30-03, 10:02 AM
~LongRider~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's very cool that they replaced it that easily. That's good customer service. It doesnt matter if they are the same thing with different decals, it made you happy, and more comfortable with it. That is the way it should be. Cannondale should put a statement on their website, instead of dumping it on their dealers.
Old 08-30-03, 07:51 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe a letter to the editor about devious business practices by Cannondale will get them to stop. If you're lucky, it would get a little space somewhere else in the paper, causing dealers to complain to the company.
Old 09-02-03, 03:36 PM
talkdj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In reality there is a disclosure on the Cannondale web site that say's they can change equipment at their choosing.

-Wynn
Old 09-02-03, 03:41 PM
~LongRider~

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dont think they are intentionally duping customers. I do think they should make it a point to post it on the site, if it is a know and repetitive problem(question) for customers. It's not cool, to make the dealers take the responsibility of explaining why Cannondale is falsely listing things on their site.
Old 09-03-03, 09:14 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, personally, I avoid front derailler shifts. So as long as the front derailler does its job, I could care what I have.

As far as components go, the front derailler is not a real "key" item. I would bet that no one in the world can tell the difference between a tiagra FD and a 105 FD if ya stick them on the bike blindfoldeded and have them shift the FD.

Of course, there is an aesthetic thing for having ALL 105 so maybe Cannondale might go for swapping over. I don't know if I would even bother myself.