Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NYT Wirecutter

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-24, 04:29 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
NYT Wirecutter

The New York Times Wirecutter mentioned bicycles today in their article saying that the most expensive items are not always the best. Here is what they wrote about bicycles:

And our cyclists on staff caution that almost everybody is likely to do just as well with a midrange bike as with something lightweight and top-of-the-line that boasts expensive components such as carbon-fiber wheels since higher-end bikes are designed for speed rather than durability. “Modern components like gear shifters, brakes, derailleurs, and hubs are all solid, and the high-end stuff is not functionally much better than midrange,” says senior staff writer and cyclist Tim Heffernan. You’ll still have to keep buying the parts that degrade over time, and high-end bikes are magnets for thieves.

“And as a general word on buying bikes right now, the pandemic boom is over, and many suppliers overshot on inventory, so deals can be found, both new old stock in bike stores and on the used market,” Tim adds. “Stores need to dump stock, and lots of people who bought a new bike during the pandemic have given up the hobby.”"

Last edited by Lucillle; 02-23-24 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-23-24, 05:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-23-24, 08:22 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I think in general, including with bikes, you get what you pay for. I agree that "mid-range" stuff is fine. I don't think you can go wrong with 105 v. Dura Ace.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-23-24, 08:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
"Best" doesn't seem to be defined here. Best in what way? Obviously the most expensive bikes aren't the best bikes for a low budget. And if best includes more than one criteria, then as with most things, there's a bell curve where you have lousy on one side and marginal gains on the other.
Old 02-23-24, 08:55 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
All things engineering are compromise.

and "better" is subjective.

queue 100 pages of the same tired arguments
Old 02-23-24, 09:05 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Lies! all lies! you absolutelly CAN buy speed, now let me show you this bike, and why it's a bargain at $16k...
Old 02-23-24, 09:10 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
A house with tens of thousands of dollars of custom trim isn't the best choice if you are moving in with seven little kids. An electric pickup truck with all the bells and whistles isn't the best choice to take into the wilderness. A high performance jet plane isn't the best choice for a novice pilot. The most expensive choice isn't necessarily the right choice for a certain individual, but it might be the right choice for someone else.

I find nothing to disagree with in the quote from the article.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-23-24, 09:13 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
By the way, not being a learned type, I read "NYT Wirecutter" and assumed it was a tool.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-23-24, 09:30 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I will certainly concur that the most expensive item isn’t always the best. It really comes down to what you’re doing with the bike, or component/gear. Unless you’re looking to just spend money unnecessarily, a bicycle used to run errands around town doesn’t need to be CF, and have top-of-the-line components. Obviously a bike used for racing is different. And of course I’ve encountered cyclists who insist “I have a certain reputation to uphold so my errand bike has to be top of the line.” If that’s you, and it’s how you want to spend your money…that’s your prerogative. In regard to apparel and other bike-related gear…I try to think outside the bicycling box. Some of my best cycling gear isn’t produced by the usual bicycling-related manufacturers, nor was it even intended to be used for cycling. But it works well for my purposes. Conversely, I’ve purchase high-end, name brand cycling gear that promised ‘this or that’ and didn’t come close to doing what it was supposed to do. — Dan
Old 02-23-24, 03:45 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
For road bikes there are 4 key technologies that came along in the last dozen years: Tubeless tires, hydraulic disc brakes, power meters and electronic shifting. If your new bike has all of these 4 things, you are golden. With that in mind I think the new 105 Di2 groupset would be a good stopping point for 'good enough'. Above this level I consider 'nice to have' but non-essential. Below this level you are not getting the full benefits of the latest technologies.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-23-24, 06:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
No thanks, don't need the NYT or their wirecutter to tell me what is good or bad, they rate bikes with tourney as good and their locks were all from Kryptonite. I trust them about as much as I trust a broken ladder.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-23-24, 07:39 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
The quoted part of the article is very good advice for people who are looking to Wire Cutter for what bike to get.

As a general rule, if you don’t already know why a high end bike might be better than a midrange one, you are probably wasting your money buying it.

Full disclosure: I ride midrange Road and Fat bikes and a high end FS MTB.

Last edited by Kapusta; 02-23-24 at 07:45 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-24-24, 11:01 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Heh. "I asked around the office" is kind of a tell.

The judges would also accept "My colleagues, in a rare consensus, assert the Garmin Forerunner keeps more accurate time than a Patek Philippe."
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 02-24-24, 05:57 PM
Lamont Cobb

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
The only publication for bicycles that I trust is Bicycling! magazine. The NY Times often has a hidden agenda. Just sayin'.
Old 02-25-24, 07:57 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
The only publication for bicycles that I trust is Bicycling! magazine. The NY Times often has a hidden agenda. Just sayin'.
Absolutely ! ! For decades Bicycling! has been the fount of truth, justice, and the American Way ! ! !
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 02-25-24, 08:54 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
This has been my preferred wirecutter (cables and housings, too) since I got it over forty years ago. Unfortunately, the manufacturer has long since abandoned operations. There does seem to be at least one domestic manufacturer of quality fence pliers still operating in the state of Texas.

Otto
Old 02-25-24, 09:29 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
one should review the concept of "marginal diminishing returns" in which 50% more spend gets you 5% more functionality.

in the shimano line, the difference between the DA item and the comparable Ultegra is (mostly) cosmetic. Mostly.

but at the low end the difference is larger because you're further down the spend vs benefit curve.

it is hard to believe how crappy a $500 ebike can be, at least in my view. An unrepairable.

Remember Wirecutter's staff evaluate bikes the same way they evaluate toasters. they are not enthusiasts.

/markp
Old 02-25-24, 09:32 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

The Garmin does keep better time than a Patek, as long as the satellites are in view.

my Garmin Fenix watch will drift a minute or so out sync with the official time if I don't put it in GPS mode every couple of weeks.

just sayin

/markp
Old 02-25-24, 09:45 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
They're telling people that they don't need to spend as much on a bike as Bicycling! magazine often hints that they should. Would you mind explaining what the NYT's hidden agenda might be here? Just askin'.
Old 02-25-24, 11:31 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Originally Posted by Trakhak
They're telling people that they don't need to spend as much on a bike as Bicycling! magazine often hints that they should. Would you mind explaining what the NYT's hidden agenda might be here? Just askin'.
It's because they evaluate bikes in the same way they evaluate toasters. They are not enthusiasts.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 02-25-24, 01:03 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
They are not enthusiasts.
Neither are 99% of the people who will be looking to them for bike buying advice.

And for those people the advice quoted (stick with midrange) is spot on.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-25-24, 08:57 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
The New York Times Wirecutter mentioned bicycles today in their article saying that the most expensive items are not always the best. Here is what they wrote about bicycles:

And our cyclists on staff caution that almost everybody is likely to do just as well with a midrange bike as with something lightweight and top-of-the-line that boasts expensive components such as carbon-fiber wheels since higher-end bikes are designed for speed rather than durability. “Modern components like gear shifters, brakes, derailleurs, and hubs are all solid, and the high-end stuff is not functionally much better than midrange,” says senior staff writer and cyclist Tim Heffernan. You’ll still have to keep buying the parts that degrade over time, and high-end bikes are magnets for thieves.

“And as a general word on buying bikes right now, the pandemic boom is over, and many suppliers overshot on inventory, so deals can be found, both new old stock in bike stores and on the used market,” Tim adds. “Stores need to dump stock, and lots of people who bought a new bike during the pandemic have given up the hobby.”"
It's fun being able to afford and enjoy top of the line stuff - as long as it fits.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 02-25-24, 08:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
For road bikes there are 4 key technologies that came along in the last dozen years: Tubeless tires, hydraulic disc brakes, power meters and electronic shifting. If your new bike has all of these 4 things, you are golden. With that in mind I think the new 105 Di2 groupset would be a good stopping point for 'good enough'. Above this level I consider 'nice to have' but non-essential. Below this level you are not getting the full benefits of the latest technologies.
None are needed to have a top performing and/or really enjoyable fast bike.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-25-24 at 10:52 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 02-26-24, 07:56 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
It's because they evaluate bikes in the same way they evaluate toasters. They are not enthusiasts.

/markp
You might be thinking of Consumer Reports. The NYT article refers to "our cyclists on staff." Contra your offhand guess, The NYT staffers cited likely fit the cycling enthusiast profile, probably skewing upmarket in bikes and equipment.
Old 02-26-24, 11:46 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
They know their audience, and that's a good thing. They wouldn't recommomend a Ferrari to a Soccer Mom, and that makes sense. Does anyone need a Ferrari? Yeah. Me.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.