Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First century today (solo)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-03, 08:56 PM
rhafe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd never ridden more than 62 miles until today. I signed up for the Solvang Century in a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd better try a fairly long ride Didn't plan to ride 100, but I sometimes pick my route impulsively on the fly, and one thing led to another. I ended up 50 miles from home and had to ride back.. The last hard hill at 75 miles kicked my butt, but all in all, it felt pretty good. However, I will be going to bed early tonight....
Old 02-22-03, 09:16 PM
Coppi51

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
congrats doood! 100 solo is a tough ride...i've done a few centuries but never alone
Old 02-22-03, 10:13 PM
pcsanity1
Censorship Stinks!

Bikes: Three

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great Job-

I am still trying to build up to my first english century in late March. Though I am not a social person, I think that I would go bonkers doing a solo century.

Job well done!
Old 02-22-03, 10:32 PM
amerpie
On yer' left

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is an accomplishment you can savor for the rest of your life. You are now one of the elite. What was your time?
Old 02-23-03, 09:01 AM
rhafe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It took me six hours and forty-five minutes. Averaged just under fifteen mph, assuming my computer is accurate. I think it's pretty close. Yeah, feels pretty good to have made it.
Old 02-23-03, 07:51 PM
midijunky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember my first solo century starting from Dennis, Ma. Up the Cape Cod rail trail, then to Provincetown and then back to Dennis Again. I felt fine the first 65 miles or so, then my left knee started hurting. Then my hands started hurting, then my right knee, then my elbows. Well let's just say EVERYTHING hurt. But it was my knees that were in massive pain. I felt lucky to be moving forward in 1st or 2nd gear on that mountain bike!

I really felt as if I was in a survival situation at that point. As I was along way from home with no cell phone, and no one to come to my rescue. It never felt so good to finally get back to my truck and try to nurse my aching body.

Then, of course, I had to drive back home another 70 miles or so on top of all that!

Lesson learned? Make sure you have your clipless pedals adjusted perfectly before you under take a long solo ride, your knees will take a beating and you might not make it back no matter how fit you are.

Looking on the bright side, it was a fun ride before the pain kicked in. Cape Cod is a wonderful area to bike around.

So, Congrats! rhafe on your trip! Glad you made it ok.
Old 02-23-03, 08:11 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Congratulations

Your hooked for sure now.

Blake
Old 02-24-03, 12:45 PM
maraxis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inspires me to give it a try once the weather gets a bit better.
Old 02-24-03, 03:00 PM
easyrider
Donating member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to do a lot of solo centuries. Sometimes up to 5-6 per month during "serious training" times. Take it from me: Your perspective on the act of training will change forever after doing some solo centuries. Riding for a few hours will seem like much less of a commitment. An hour ride will seem like it ends before it begins. A century with a group will be an absolute pleasure because the company makes the time fly by and your body will still feel good.

Congratulations!

FantasyBikeRace is now FREE to play!
Old 02-24-03, 05:51 PM
rhafe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking forward to Solvang in March. It's not such a scary deal, now. I know what you mean about shorter distances. I rode only about 15 miles on Sunday and it seemed like I barely got started.
Old 06-27-03, 12:23 PM
IowaParamedic
Velolutionary

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did my first solo century yesterday. It was a great ride. Temps of 76F, and a WNW wind of 15. I covered the towns of Swisher, Sheuyville, Ely, Solon, Morse, West Branch, Iowa City, Coralville, Oakdale, and finished in North Liberty.

Ok, technically, that is only 80 miles. After the 80, I came home, showered, changed clothes and pedaled my way to the Thursday Leisure Ride. That added a slow 20 miles to my day - and a well deserved ice cream break.

There was only a small 10 mile leg that I was pushing big wind. However, they was a westerly leg that I was cruising at a 30 mph average.

All in all, very worth it. That is my 4th century for the year, 5th career.

Just a touch stiff today.
Old 06-27-03, 02:31 PM
talkdj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dream all the time of my first century...it's still a dream...but it's coming soon to a theatre or drive in near you!

Congrats on your First!!

-Wynn