Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cleats on sandals question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-03, 09:03 PM
blwyn

Bikes: Kona Dr Dew, Lemond Le Alp, Mongoss NX-7, Trek T200 Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked up a pair of biking sandals (Lake) the other day. I plan to mount SPD cleats on them. I haven't pulled the cleat cover off the bottom yet, but when I do, what am I going to find? Do I mount the cleat by putting the bolt through the footbed of the sandal and attach the cleat with nuts from the bottom like on regular shoes, or is there a different kind of mounting set-up on sandals? Assuming I put the bolt through the footbed, without an inner sole between my foot and the top of the bolt, it seems like it will be uncomfortable. What has your experience been?
Old 06-04-03, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Blwyn, whatever the answer you get, can you make sure to report back on the performance of the shoes after you've put in about a couple of hundred miles? I'm thinking of investing in a pair myself.

Thanks.

Old 06-04-03, 09:22 PM
Rev.Chuck
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There will be a two bolt, MTB style mount. There is a plate in the sole so the screws do not go all the way thru and poke you in the foot.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 06-05-03, 09:25 AM
hayneda
Carfree Retro Grouch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone asked about performance. I don't know about the Lake sandals, but I do use the Shimano sandals with SPDs. I like them a lot. Of course, they would not do for racing, but for club riding, touring, commuting, and randonneuring they are great. They are really nice if you must ride in the rain since they dry out very quickly after the rain has ended. Regular shoes will be soggy for at least a day.

Touring is where they really shine. They are comfortable enough to wear off the bike. In fact, I don't take any other footwear when on tour. That saves a lot of weight and bulk.

Also, if you have problems with hot feet or swelling feet, these eliminate those issues--that's why you see so many of the ultra marathon distance riders (like RAAM) using either sandals, or shoes with most of the uppers cut away. They also allow you to move your foot position around more, which is really nice on long rides and helps eliminate knee pain.

In the coldest weather (below freezing) I switch to shoes. However, the sandals are remarkably warm down to freezing temps if you use two pair of wool socks. This trick will not work with normal shoes unless you have a pair that is a couple sizes too large. By loosening the straps, the sandals let the socks maintain their loft and thus insulating power.

In hot weather, particularly on long rides, I recommend wearing very light synthetic socks with the sandals. Otherwise you will get some sweat accumulating under your souls next to the bottom of the sandal. The lightweight socks allow this moisture to wick into the rest of the sock and evaporate.

Dave
Old 06-05-03, 09:34 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Sandles work in really cold wet weather if you use them with a woolen sock and a goretex sock.
Old 06-05-03, 08:51 PM
blwyn

Bikes: Kona Dr Dew, Lemond Le Alp, Mongoss NX-7, Trek T200 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I used them with my platform pedals yesterday - they definitely keep your feet cool, too cool in fact. It was about 60 degrees and my feet felt like they were freezing. Guess I should wear socks until it warms up.
Old 06-06-03, 04:21 AM
fietser_ivana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always wear woollen socks and Smartwool is my sock of preference.

I wear them both in the winter and in summer.. wool is a terrific material as it is also nice to wear in hot weather.

Why? I wouldn't want to ride with bare feet, not just for the cold or rain, but because thick woollen sock have the task of absorbing shocks and somehow preventing hot feet.

In winter I wear another thin cycling sock inside.. and when it's really cold, a thermo-sock over the woollen sock.. no problem, not even at the icier conditions of about -15 C.

Sandals & Smartwool socks RULE!

Oh, I have Shimano sandals and Speedplay Frog cleats/pedals

Ivana...
Old 06-07-03, 06:17 AM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally posted by hayneda
I don't know about the Lake sandals, but I do use the Shimano sandals with SPDs.
I've seen the ads for theses sandles and thought, why bother? I guess I now know why I should!

10 years ago, I used to bug my brother in law about his Birkenstocks and how they were "hippy-ish" and then, by peculiar circumstance, I had to buy a pair. I then eneded up wearing them (almost) every day for 8 years.

it never occured to me the positive qualities of sandles would translate to cycling, but from the description, it seems they do!

Maybe I should try a pair out!

Old 06-07-03, 06:44 PM
talkdj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will not wear sandals anywhere. If you saw my feet you would have congress outlaw sandals.

Enough said....

-Wynn
Old 06-07-03, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally posted by talkdj
I will not wear sandals anywhere. If you saw my feet you would have congress outlaw sandals.

Enough said....

-Wynn
And there's no way you could wear a sock to prevent said crimes against humanity? Seriously, I am probably going to get into finding a sandal when I get home. I really want to try this out before I say it's not for me.

Koff