Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

i need a RELIABLE cycle computer...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 08:50 PM
djgustashaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've been using a cateye velo2 for two years now, and it has been a real POS. it gives me all the readouts i need, which is to say just the basics like speed, average speed, distance, odometer, and time. however, it never works in the wet and it's been giving me some really weird calibration issues lately. it'll flip back and forth between 25mph and 5mph when i'm actually going around 20.

needless to say, i need something that i can really count on to work, and i dont need all the bells and whistles. the only "premium" feature i'd like to have is cadence, but i don't think you can get anything with that for cheap. but here's a few questions:

1. do wireless models work well in the rain? my velo2 is wired and it STILL doesn't work...

2. how's the shimano flightdeck? i'm interested in this one. also, how much does it cost, including installation?

3. do any cyclecomputers stand out as a great value?

4. i don't need heart rate.

i'd like to keep the price low, but i'm willing to pay up to $100 readily for something good. but remember, it HAS TO BE RELIABLE!! i gotta rely on this sucker to count every mile i pedal.
Old 06-21-03, 09:17 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Haha, I was about to suggest the Velo2 Your sensor and magnet are probably just in need of a reorientation, or perhaps your contacts between the computer and the mount have gotten corroded (rub with pencil eraser).
Old 06-22-03, 05:18 AM
roadbuzz
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What mech' said about magnet/sensor orientation!

1) Wireless have the same rain issues as any... powerline and phone switch centers are more of a problem.
2) Dunno, other than what I've read in Road****************. Go there to see what they say.
3) Cat-eye has come out with a new line, so I've been seeing the old Mity-3s for, like, $15. I've been using one for over a year. Works fine in the rain.
Old 06-22-03, 11:16 AM
The Terminator
Bike for life.

Bikes: KHS Alite 1000 mtb, Bianchi Celeste Campione, all Campy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a $20 Bell. It has 8 functions, and works very well. It sells at WalMart. I bought it on Memorial Day, I really needed a computer, and my LBS was closed all weekend. It has been a good one so far. I have got caught 3 times in the rain with it. Yesterday, it had a very slight fog under the lense, but that dissappeared when the sun came out and shined on it for a little while. I am very pleased with it. The only drawback is that the instruction sheet is printed in very microscopic print. You have to select a coefficient for the tire/wheel size. The default is 700x23cc, which is what I happen to have, so, no looking for the coefficient for me. I saved the instructions just in case I wanted to put it on my MTB, which I'll probably never do. Best -
Old 06-22-03, 02:54 PM
yikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the velo2 also. It has been working excellent for me except this morning I was at a time trial and it just wasn't clicking. I didn't feel like bothering with it but I'm sure the magnet isn't aligned or something. I hope mine doesn't start having these problems!
Old 06-22-03, 04:01 PM
djgustashaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was looking through the latest nashbar catalog, and the wireless/wired planet bike computers look pretty good, especially with the price. i'll check out what people at roadbikereview have to say about it, but does anyone here have anything to say about these models? they're the ones with the huge screens that display all the info at once.
Old 06-22-03, 06:12 PM
HOG-I

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, Thompson Elite Seatpost, Fizik Airone Saddle, Speedplay X-2 pedals, 3T Less Stem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used Vetta wireless computers for years with no trouble. Old one was on two different bikes and stood unused for a year and still worked with no problem. I now have a V100 (w/o cadence) but you can get it with cadence for under $100. USPS used Vetta's last year - I don't know about this year.
Old 06-22-03, 06:57 PM
~LongRider~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a Mity 8 on Ebay for $15.00. It has been working great for me.
Old 06-22-03, 11:15 PM
talkdj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well for what it's worth (there's lot's of nay sayers about this too) I have the Shimano Flight Deck ver 6501. You can program up to 4 different bikes with it and it also has rpm's, etc. Works great for me but at this point is missing the 10th bubble for the new DA 10 speed cassette. Which in itself is another subject in another thread.

Less I digress...check it out, a great computer!

-Wynn

(Not paid an endorsement fee from the Shimano Corporation)
Old 06-23-03, 05:05 AM
trmcgeehan

Bikes: 1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There oughtta be a law against cycle computer companies printing the instructions in 2 point type.
Old 06-23-03, 11:28 AM
roadrage

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cateye Mity3. Outstanding value IMO. Had for great deals now. Usually around 16.99 or so.
Old 06-23-03, 07:37 PM
Jaimie65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using a Cateye Mity3 for two and a half years and about 21,000 kms - would highly recommend. It might be time for a battery change on yours - every 12-18 months for the Mity 3 seems to work. Being on my commuter/s it has seen some seriously ugly weather over the last few years but is still going strong.
Old 06-24-03, 01:50 AM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the Caeye wireless 2 now for almost 3 years and it has never given any problems-except when tempertures drop below 40 degrees the sending unit won't send a good signal and I will erratic signals or none at all. But since this kind of cold is not frequent where I live I'm not concerned about it. There was some reported problems with battery life, but my experience was that after the original bat in the sending unit died after 2 months the replacement is still working and the computer bat has never died. I also live in a town where the streets are poorly maintained thus ruts and potholes jar the computer pretty good and it has never blinked; it also took a surprise rain storm without blinking either.