Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help me with this Simplex derailleur?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 05:00 AM
BikeNooblet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone. I am new to the bike world and purchased a retro peugeot bike few weeks ago. The rear derailleur's pulley has a few broken teeth and I am looking to replace it. From my research I understand that the rear simplex derailleurs used a 6 mm bolt for the pulleys which are very inaccessible these days. The bike is 14 speed( 2x front 7x rear). My question is: which derailleurs can I use as an alternative? Would any entry level 7/8 spd rear derailleur work, let's say from shimano? If I replaced it I wouldn't have a problem replacing the pulleys in the future, the standard bolts for them are 8mm if I understand correctly. I will post pictures if necessary, I tried to post them now but couldn't since it's my first post.
Old 05-15-20, 06:31 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Welcome! Many an old Simplex rear derailleur was replaced with a Japanese piece. Easier on bikes that use claw-type rear derailleurs. I usually used SunTour.
Old 05-15-20, 06:55 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts

So, if the Simplex bushings are 6mm and Shimano are 5mm, I'd be tempted to drill them out. I'd use a lathe, but you would need at least a drill press and a way to hold the bushing. I wonder if the outside diameter of the bushing is the same diameter as the current industry standard. If so you could just use your old bushings. As another option, if you are looking for an excuse to buy a 3D printer, this may be it.

Good luck.
Old 05-15-20, 07:10 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
If you put some photos in your user gallery we can post them here before you get 10 posts.

Simplex dropouts are specific to simplex derailleurs so it depends what kind of bike you have. If your bike has a claw hanger or a simplex on a standard campagnolo style derailleur hanger then changing to a different derailleur is much easier.

Google these terms like 'simplex dropout' and 'claw derailleur hanger' to see what I mean. If you do have a simplex derailleur on a simplex hanger the derailleur removes by unscrewing the bolt from the back, not the front.

A suntour derailleur has donated a few pulleys to my simplex derailleurs and they are readily interchangeable.
Old 05-15-20, 07:48 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,125 Times in 1,966 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
If you put some photos in your user gallery we can post them here before you get 10 posts.

Simplex dropouts are specific to simplex derailleurs so it depends what kind of bike you have. If your bike has a claw hanger or a simplex on a standard campagnolo style derailleur hanger then changing to a different derailleur is much easier.

Google these terms like 'simplex dropout' and 'claw derailleur hanger' to see what I mean. If you do have a simplex derailleur on a simplex hanger the derailleur removes by unscrewing the bolt from the back, not the front.

A suntour derailleur has donated a few pulleys to my simplex derailleurs and they are readily interchangeable.
In retooling (since a bunch of the parts were replaced by lighter stuff) the blue Mixte 1973 Peugeot, I found the Simplex did not play nice with a six speed that had only 2 additional teeth on the large cog. It was decided for me to replace it with a rebuilt Suntour which is so much better (but not restore correct).

Long story short, I have lots of Peugeot parts available! Haha.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 05-15-20, 09:15 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
So I tried the replacement on a Mixte Raleigh Gran Prix. I found the Suntour V-Luxe wouldn't work with the claw that was attached to it because the jockey wheel ran into the sprocket teeth. The distance between the pivots were less on the Suntour V-Luxe compared to the Prestige. Looking at using a Suntour Honor or maybe a Suntour Superbe Pro instead!
Old 05-15-20, 09:42 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
Modern Tacx pulleys will fit: like those, type 1
Old 05-15-20, 09:48 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
My wife's old Peugeot used Simplex derailleurs. The shifting was pretty poor compared with modern Shimano shifters and derailleurs. No getting around that. When it came time to overhaul the bike, since it wasn't a rare or collectible bike, we decided on practicality over originality. I tasked my mechanic with sourcing a replacement, and told him it didn't matter if it was vintage or modern. I just wanted something that worked better than the Simplex. He put a modern Shimano derailleur, I believe a 9 speed Tiagra, and since we were replacing the wheels anyway, it was not a problem, which is awesome since my wife's old 5 speed Peugeot is now a 9 speed.

Last edited by MRT2; 05-15-20 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-15-20, 10:04 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
the bolt attaches the Simplex pulley is 6mm and so is Suntour, a replacement of which
will be easy to find. the more common size is 5mm not 8
Old 05-15-20, 10:48 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay

Later Simplex dropouts did have threaded holes on their hangers, so you can install derailleurs with threaded pivot bolts without problems. My 84 Peugeot PSV has had Simplex (Stock SX610), Campagnolo (NR) Suntour (Cyclone MkII) and presently, Mavic (810) rear derailleurs. Note that all have threaded top pivot bolts, except for the original, stock Simplex.

Last edited by Chombi1; 05-15-20 at 10:51 AM.