Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Poll: to what lengths would you go to recover your beloved bike(s)?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: How far would you go to recover a stolen bike?
Around the moons of Nibia, and to the basement of the Alamo. There is no length I will not go.
7.32%
Charles Bronson rules apply, I'll be judged by 12 angry men!
24.39%
It's just a bike, it doesn't justify violence.
12.20%
I'd do my best within the law. I'd try and follow someone and call the police.
31.71%
The minimum of violence it takes...get him off the bike.
7.32%
The minimum plus a kick in the teeth as a deserved consequence.
17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: to what lengths would you go to recover your beloved bike(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 10:43 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I would be mindful that a criminal would probably be likely to escalate violence with a potential loss or legal complication of more than the bike is worth.
Old 08-02-16, 12:02 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
I would be mindful that a criminal would probably be likely to escalate violence with a potential loss or legal complication of more than the bike is worth.
Fair and relevant point. In my experience, many folks overestimate the potential effectiveness of their efforts in using violence against people who may have routine experience with intense violent altercations and little compunction about escalating to a point at which someone's life may be in danger.

Some folks do know how to handle themselves in such altercations, even if a weapon becomes involved, but the number of those folks is much lesser than the number that consider responding with violence in a situation such as a petty theft (in-progress, or after-the-fact).

I've been threatened (credibly) with various blunt objects, blades, and firearms in my day by people I judged to have few reservations about making good on their threats. I consider it unwise to surprise and alarm such people.

That said, faced with someone hopping atop my ride when I'm nearby I'd likely make a snap judgement as to whether I'm dealing with someone I'm comfortable confronting/restraining or not...not to say that this would necessarily be the right judgment in any given case.

In a nutshell, I waver between options 3 & 5. Did not vote because neither option captures my position.
Old 08-02-16, 01:14 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemowbz
Fair and relevant point. In my experience, many folks overestimate the potential effectiveness of their efforts in using violence against people who may have routine experience with intense violent altercations and little compunction about escalating to a point at which someone's life may be in danger.

Some folks do know how to handle themselves in such altercations, even if a weapon becomes involved, but the number of those folks is much lesser than the number that consider responding with violence in a situation such as a petty theft (in-progress, or after-the-fact).

I've been threatened (credibly) with various blunt objects, blades, and firearms in my day by people I judged to have few reservations about making good on their threats. I consider it unwise to surprise and alarm such people.

That said, faced with someone hopping atop my ride when I'm nearby I'd likely make a snap judgement as to whether I'm dealing with someone I'm comfortable confronting/restraining or not...not to say that this would necessarily be the right judgment in any given case.

In a nutshell, I waver between options 3 & 5. Did not vote because neither option captures my position.
I'm a coward and poorly versed in fighting. I have no illusions as to being a tough guy and I got picked on in school rather than doing the picking. I probably would be likely to get hurt, and I agree with your more to lose approach to risk management. That said, if I ran across my Marnati under someone else's butt...I might fight for that bike. Poorly.

There was an "incident" that occurred many years back. I was riding late at night, through a dangerous area. I saw kids fanning out in front of me and I was fairly certain I was about to be the victim of a bash and grab. I didn't think I'd be able to turn around quickly enough to get away either. I didn't want to get hurt and I had a lot less to lose at that point. I did end up losing a ubolt in defense, but I also did get out of there.
Old 08-02-16, 04:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
There would be a lot of factors.

The element of surprise shouldn't be underestimated. And a physical take-down from on a bike onto the pavement would have to hurt.

Then isolated, one might be better off just recovering the bike and letting it be.

In public, then it would depend on who would be expected to have support of the crowd. If one expects the crowd to support the thief, then better just go for the bike.

On the other hand, if one expects the crowd to support the victim of the theft, then perhaps one could expect help to detain the thief, and call authorities. And perhaps the thief would also accept one's authority to hold him.

Again, no more violence than is necessary to contain the situation. In some cases it may come down to simply a verbal argument.
Old 08-02-16, 06:37 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
It's just stuff.

I'd let it go.
Old 08-02-16, 09:10 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Been though it. I was pissed at the police much as the thief.
Old 08-02-16, 11:13 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
Here's what I did. My daughter's house had been broken into and her bike (formerly my wife's bike) and a computer was stolen. About six months later I met my wife for dinner at a restaurant. She said "hey, that looks like my bike locked up in front of the restaurant". I went out and sure enough it was the stolen bike. I called the cops, who already had the police report and serial number. The officer parked in a hidden spot across the street and told me that I was free to retrieve the bike if I wanted, hoping to entice the thief to intervene. I sent my wife home to get my Sawzall with carbide blade and with a great deal of noise and sparks cut the lock off. Unfortunately the thief didn't show, but we did get the bike back. So, the answer is that I would put myself as bait at slight risk of an altercation as long as police were standing by. I also got the stolen computer back, but that was a different story.
Old 08-03-16, 01:20 PM
peter_d
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I'd like to think that I'd react responsibly but I can certainly understand the frustration of those who may choose not to. Bike theft is so common here that there has to be some organization. My thought is that stolen bikes are probably stockpiled then trucked from one city to another where they're less likely to be recognized. All the while the local police maintain that the crime rate has dropped when in fact the opposite is true but the police are so uninterested and ineffective that people have just given up reporting property theft.