Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling in California

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling in California

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20, 07:35 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAlbertson
I think we have the same bike. Is yours from the mid to late 1970's Italvega. I have the same chrome bands on the seat tube, the same chrome lugs and so on.
Mine is a 1972 ItalVega Grand Ralley. It is kind of a rare model which has the Columbus tubing and same Campy dropouts as the Nuovo Record and Super Record. This bike was left for dead in a field in Moro Bay California. It has a lot of Super Record components and a Zeus Competition seat post. I replaced the Campy high flange Tipo hubs and sew up rims with Nuovo Record high flange hubs laced to Rigida clinchers and butted Stella spokes. It had the original UniCaNitor saddle on it. It has 3ttt bar and stem. I changed the Universal center pull brakes to Campy NR. Everything is period correct for 1972. To read about it check out my blog joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress , Rusty Resurection and ItalVega Update. I spent a year breathing life back into this bike and after riding it, every bit of effort was worth it. Of course if you own one you already know that! Joe
Old 03-22-20, 07:50 AM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Here in Ventura County, took advantage of the empty roads and nice weather.

Yeah it has been nice with the exception of yesterday. My wife and I took a drive out to Rincon old coast highway and it was a zoo! A lot of folks out on the beach with their kids , it looked like summer. No social distancing trailers and motor homes butted right up against one another and large groups of people . I don’t understand what makes this ok Italy has tried to warn us. We need to be smart. What we saw yesterday was chaos. In the east county out here in Santa Paula I can ride without the threat of dozens of other cyclists closing in. I can easily keep my distance.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-22-20, 07:58 AM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by wgscott

From BikeSnobNYC (1918 flu)
That is awesome. I would love to have that on my wall at my shop. My wife is from Manassas Park not far from Roanoke.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-22-20, 08:13 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Yeah it has been nice with the exception of yesterday. My wife and I took a drive out to Rincon old coast highway and it was a zoo! A lot of folks out on the beach with their kids , it looked like summer. No social distancing trailers and motor homes butted right up against one another and large groups of people . I don’t understand what makes this ok Italy has tried to warn us. We need to be smart. What we saw yesterday was chaos. In the east county out here in Santa Paula I can ride without the threat of dozens of other cyclists closing in. I can easily keep my distance.
I ride a lot out that way, Rincon to Carpinteria and some hill work around Santa Barbara. I decided to skip it and instead ride the less traveled local (to me) roads. After reading your post I am glad that I chose to stay local.

We Americans, and especially here in California, have a more rebellious, less compliant, streak. While that is good in most cases, it could be a problem during these times.

stay safe, have fun and above all, watch out for each other.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 03-22-20, 09:23 AM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by tyrion
I road around Mission Bay and Fiesta Island today - there's people all over the place. Lots of social distance violations - I didn't report anyone, just verbal warnings.
same up here in Ventura County. The Rincon was a zoo yesterday. The county is not complying by allowing the campground to remain open. I have sent off emails to the officials. Under normal circumstances cycling is a great form of exercise and distancing is easy but in densely populated areas it is not good at all!
Old 03-22-20, 11:25 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
It's fine. Any outdoor exercise is OK as long as you maintain the social distancing suggestions.
The only suggestion I would add is to increase those distances when riding behind someone.

Last edited by Robert A; 03-22-20 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 12:39 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
How would they know that you aren't commuting to work? I am riding when the weather just isn't too cold or rainy. But this means that I'm not doing any of my normal longer rides. 22 miles instead of 40 or 50.
Old 03-22-20, 04:10 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
So PLEASE don't drive your car, as cars are the number one cause of death and injury for those to young to get cancer.
In case you didn't notice, there are less cars on the roads right now, which means that there will be less accidents as well Nice rhetoric though.
Old 03-22-20, 04:54 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Mine is a 1972 ItalVega Grand Ralley. It is kind of a rare model which has the Columbus tubing and same Campy dropouts as the Nuovo Record and Super Record. This bike was left for dead in a field in Moro Bay California. It has a lot of Super Record components and a Zeus Competition seat post. I replaced the Campy high flange Tipo hubs and sew up rims with Nuovo Record high flange hubs laced to Rigida clinchers and butted Stella spokes. It had the original UniCaNitor saddle on it. It has 3ttt bar and stem. I changed the Universal center pull brakes to Campy NR. Everything is period correct for 1972. To read about it check out my blog joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress , Rusty Resurection and ItalVega Update. I spent a year breathing life back into this bike and after riding it, every bit of effort was worth it. Of course if you own one you already know that! Joe
Mine is no longer "period correct". But it does ride very well, When new the bike was a "low end" Ital Vega" but all of the frames wre the same. Thy changed the components to get to different price points. My bike at one time when it was new had a steel crank, rims and handlebars.

Mine was bought new in the mid-70s and the parts were replaced over the years with whatever seems the best. The last thing replaced as the brakes. These now have a new style "Aero" levers and modern Shimano double-pivot calipers (Tiagra, I think) These work much better than the old center pull type. I still have a freewheel based rear hub but the cogs are new with the shift ramps and so on. THese cogs were develped for index shifting but make friction shifting much better. Shimano "Deore XT" derailers. Then a Shiguno crank, Dura-Ace headset, look pedals. Wheels wore out and were replaced years ago. Some parts have been replace three times

One thing about the frame is that is was very well made with double-butted Columbus fork, tube and stays and then chromed. I think the chrome saved it from rusting.

One thing I notice is the very steep head tube angle, about 71 degress as best I can measure. So it has "race bike" steering.
Old 03-22-20, 05:41 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
This weekend's solo rides around Ventura (and a little bit over into LA Country)

Saturday:
Rode from T.O. down to the beach, up Yerba, home via Westlake

Sunday:
Short local loop near Underwood farms, Reagan library

Some pics:

Backside of Reagan library hill

Top of Mulholland / Westlake

Sycamore Cove Beach
Likes For goenrdoug:
Old 03-22-20, 06:17 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Good routes, Doug! Saw a few other CVC'ers yesterday when I did a loop around Agoura-Westlake-TO-and the lake. Saw a few smallish groups of 2 or 3 riders, but none of the usual packs.
Old 03-22-20, 06:21 PM
Kabuki12

Mine is no longer "period correct". But it does ride very well, When new the bike was a "low end" Ital Vega" but all of the frames wre the same. Thy changed the components to get to different price points. My bike at one time when it was new had a steel crank, rims and handlebars.

Mine was bought new in the mid-70s and the parts were replaced over the years with whatever seems the best. The last thing replaced as the brakes. These now have a new style "Aero" levers and modern Shimano double-pivot calipers (Tiagra, I think) These work much better than the old center pull type. I still have a freewheel based rear hub but the cogs are new with the shift ramps and so on. THese cogs were develped for index shifting but make friction shifting much better. Shimano "Deore XT" derailers. Then a Shiguno crank, Dura-Ace headset, look pedals. Wheels wore out and were replaced years ago. Some parts have been replace three times

One thing about the frame is that is was very well made with double-butted Columbus fork, tube and stays and then chromed. I think the chrome saved it from rusting.

One thing I notice is the very steep head tube angle, about 71 degress as best I can measure. So it has "race bike" steering.
actually there were significant differences between the lower end model and the others, mainly the dropouts (Campagnolo with axel stops) and forged Campagnolo fork tips. The fork crowns were sloped and the geometry a bit different. The Nuovo Record is essentially what I have was the middle of the fleet , the Super Record was the same frame with more Campagnolo components and the top model Super light had some drilling and an upgraded Columbus fork. They are all nice bikes made in Italy by Torpado. Yours looks to be in very good shape, nice color. I am sure it ride very well the way it is set up. Joe