Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tube Failure Caused Crash?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tube Failure Caused Crash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20, 01:13 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by myisland
I believe that I applied the front break too hard and the flat remains a mystery. Because of neck pains I've ridden with my drop bars turned up for 30 years with no problems but my research has revealed the following post:

"In this scenario I assume the rider usually operates the brake levers with palms. A situation that calls for even just moderate application of the brakes (and/or grabby brakes) could cause the rider's weight to fall still harder onto the brake levers and result in a positive feedback loop that eliminates all possibility of any brake modulation. Worst-case scenario would be an endo. For the performance-minded there are many reasons not to turn up drop bars like this--not the least of which is the risk of un-weighting the front tire, but I think if levers can be installed in front of the handlebars to prevent the aforementioned feedback loop then for utility riding you might as well give this a shot."

So the cause is explained by physics. I will need to reposition my brakes keeping a handlebar height comfortable for my neck. May require new handlebars or a riser of some sort.
The ergonomic reasoning behind drop bars is that you can put a lot of weight on the “hooks” without issues. On really hard descents (8-10%) with lots of braking, I’ve noticed that my arms and shoulders will start fatiguing quite quickly. I think many people underestimate how much force goes into your hands when you brake hard. Pretty much your entire body weight is slowed down through your hands, with a minor amount from the pedals and saddles.

I agree that you should look into a riser of some sort. Something like this: https://www.performancebike.com/delt...d3318b/p335420

Flat riser bars that are cut down to road bike widths may also be appropriate, but you’d need a different brake/gear setup.
Old 04-20-20, 12:03 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by myisland
I've ridden with my drop bars turned up for 30 years with no problems
So the cause is explained by physics.
/Thread
Likes For goenrdoug: