Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding alone all the time.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding alone all the time.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-23, 09:45 AM
Pinelander
Roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Put me down for solo. At 75, riding is more zen than anything. Also, with my hearing loss, I would never be able to keep up with conversations on group rides, even wearing HAs.
Old 07-09-23, 01:58 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I ride alone…yeahhh, all by myself. When I ride alone I prefer to be by myself.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 07-10-23, 09:30 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Except for a yearly group event or two, I always ride alone.

After getting hit by a car in Nov. ‘21 (I got hurt pretty bad but, although I don’t remember it, I was aware enough to tell the police/EMS my wife’s name and number so she would know what happened and what hospital I was going to), I always wear a RoadID with my wife as the emergency contact in case I get injured and am too hurt to answer questions.
Likes For DirePenguin:
Old 07-10-23, 11:50 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I enjoy having quiet time and am comfortable with my company but I know that many people cannot be happy in solitude and need the distraction of interaction with others. I see 20 more more motorcyclists going down the highway and cannot understand what they get by going in this fashion where so much of their attention needs to be focused on the other riders to avoid and accident and they are not free to enjoy the open road.

Group bike rides can in theory be safer as they are much more obvious to motorists and so car and bike collisions may be less likely. So much depends on the mental state and attitude of the motorist and many think that the road belongs for use exclusively by people with cars so no guarantees.
Old 07-13-23, 04:43 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
ride solo just approx 1/3 of the time

even when I start a ride alone I will sometimes hook up with other riders

one ride last month began alone - but then hooked up with a group of four - rode with the group of four until two peeled off in a different direction - then peeled off from the remaining two riders because I had reached my halfway point and turned back - then on the way back hooked up with two riders and rode part way with them before returning to my origin

back in the 90’s when I just got into (discovered) bike riding I also did solo rides approx 1/3 of the time or less

group off road rides were Tuesday and Wednesday evenings - rides started at 6 pm sharp

group road rides were Saturday mornings (often an urban mix ride) and Sunday afternoons (longer rural rides) ... with an occasional weekday frantic / fast ride and / or climbing ride ... weekday or weekend easy ride with significant others and wives ... etc

best days of my life - met friends that continue to be close today ... also met my (future) wife

some of the older riders are unfortunately no longer here

many of the road group now ride off road only

Last edited by t2p; 07-13-23 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-13-23, 05:00 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
My riding partner of previous years is working on a major project and basically stopped riding. I enjoy riding alone and would occasionally get impatient with his riding habits and tendency to stop, take pictures, and engage in conversation with some bystander. But he motivated me to ride and I miss that. Have to push myself some days to get out the door.

Oh, re: The Sundance Kid. It's Crook County, not Cook and that picture doesn't look anything like him.
Old 07-13-23, 05:01 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
I ride alone 100% of the time. I have only rode with a group a few times. I used to live an hour and a half north of here. My route crossed with a club ride at a place everyone has to stop they invited me to ride with them for the 3.5 miles our route ran together 10-20 bikers kitted out on modern road bikes and Grizzly Adams in cargo shorts and a tee shirt on a vintage steel road bike in the back half of the pack. Not really my thing. I tend to ride at a speed on the local trails that around half of the riders are slower than me and half are faster having someone to ride with once in a while would be nice
​​​

I did a number of road rides with cargo shorts and t shirt back in the day - drove some of the diehard roadies nuts lol

still do rides in cargo shorts ... bike cargo shorts .. etc

was an off road motorcyclist - began off road (bicycle) riding - and then got into road (bicycle) riding

had lightweight nylon cargo shorts that were actually swim trunks I gutted and wore over bike shorts ; initially used the double shorts for off road riding at a time when there were no dedicated off road shorts (now they are common) and continued to use them on the road

this is how I got the nickname ‘t2p’ - tommy two pants

also used and still use full gloves - but no nickname for the gloves
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-26-23, 04:18 PM
spyderjohnson

Bikes: Schwinn Huron 3 speed cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I wish I were good in groups, but I've never had the patience. I certainly respect and admire those who do. I wake weird hours and ride spontaneously, plus I ride a cruiser, doesn't exactly fit in. So I ride alone most of the time.
Old 07-26-23, 06:42 PM
gottahavit

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I know this has been discussed but I am bring it up just to see if anyone else is in my shoes. I am retired and my routine is to get up very early in the morning. I am morning person and staying up late does not work for me. I generally go out and ride early myself going between 30-75 miles pretty much daily if weather allows. My reasoning is around here the wind is usually the calmest in the early morning and much less traffic. I go out before sunrise a lot have a good like and with a good light hopefully easy to see at night.

So I could try and hook up with friends and group rides but I just don't. I don't mind being out myself and it allows total freedom but the price is that sometimes company is good and certainly you can move faster in a group ride. To me it is just way to much of a change if I wait till the group rides that happen usually later in the day. There is a retired group that goes out of a few cycliist I could hook up with but the pace would be a bit slower than I got, although I am not some super cyclist. I go along from 16-19mph here in the flatlands.

So the moral of the story is this works and I am ok with it. Anyone else find the group rides are not really necessary and prefer the lone ranger approach?
I have one fiend I ride with occasionally, other than that I hate riding with others. I still work full time so usually I either do short rides at lunch or longer rides after work.

BTW 30-70 miles/day is Kick A$$! Nice job! Weather is horrible here this summer, but normally I do 100 to 150 a week and about 2500 miles during the summer. Will not hit that this year.
Old 08-03-23, 02:04 PM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Riding requires my full attention and I enjoy the focus. I'm not looking for conversation. On occasion I've come out of a zen-like state and, for a moment, not know were I am on the route (I don't think it's neurological And, I love catching that rare tailwind where you're in a bubble and it's so quiet you can hear bugs fart. Riding solo frees my mind from everything else in my life for a few hours.
Likes For Pinelander: