Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding in heat?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding in heat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 07:57 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I do that very often. got a good bike rack?
I have a Thule that straps on the trunk of my car.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 08-05-23, 09:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
at my mothers house. whew, 45 minutes of yard work & I’m wiped out & soaked. rather be on my bike
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-05-23, 12:12 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
well ... it was 87 yesterday - did a late day bike ride

felt compelled to ride in some heat - primarily because of this thread ... lol ... obviously nothing like upper 90’s or triple digits but that’s the best I could do for now

temp was around 84 when ride started - but most of the ride was in the shade and fairly pleasant ... temp somewhere around low 70’s at finish
Likes For t2p:
Old 08-05-23, 01:08 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by t2p

felt compelled to ride in some heat - primarily because of this thread ... lol ... obviously nothing like upper 90’s or triple digits but that’s the best I could do for now

temp was around 84 when ride started - but most of the ride was in the shade and fairly pleasant ... temp somewhere around low 70’s at finish
It should be like that here sometime in November or December.
This heat wave will ease up sometime, but the forecast for the next 10 days is over 100*. Today will be 107, it’s 104* now. Tomorrow it will be 109*. The dew point at 8 this morning was 68.
There is no end in sight-yet. This is like 1980 and 2011. What’s really funny is that we aren’t setting ir breaking any records duringvthis.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 08-05-23, 06:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
This heat wave will ease up sometime, but the forecast for the next 10 days is over 100*. Today will be 107, it’s 104* now. Tomorrow it will be 109*. The dew point at 8 this morning was 68.
There is no end in sight-yet. This is like 1980 and 2011. What’s really funny is that we aren’t setting ir breaking any records duringvthis.
Miserable!!! Seems as if records are being set elsewhere in TX. Record Summer?
Old 08-06-23, 04:09 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

At 5am it’s 87*.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 08-06-23, 04:50 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
At 5am it’s 87*.
When it is that hot I am inclined to take a break from riding and work out on my concept 2 rowing machine. For some reason I find it more tolerable than indoor cycling. It is always humid here though and maybe if it was 87 F and dry and I was well acclimated I might still tough out pre dawn rides. It isn't my idea of pleasant riding conditions though.

At least around home there are other options for taking time off the bike. It seems that when I plan a long tour I seem to get stuck riding in high heat even when I plan for a time when it isn't supposed to be hot. When you are in the middle of a multi month tour and it is 100+ you don't have a lot of choices beyond trying to avoid the hottest hours of the day and hoping there is shade where you camp.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 08-06-23, 05:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

At 5am it’s 87*.
good luck. better hurry up & get out there
Old 08-06-23, 05:49 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by t2p

from 87 to lower 70s during 1 ride? how did that happen. end of day?
Old 08-06-23, 05:57 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
I have to find another local route. I used to do laps through my small town but they “repaired” some roads-by chip sealing. It’s like loose gravel on the surface.
I spent 20 years in public works and have repaired a lot of roads. This surface is the poorest I have seen. It’s dangerous to ride on.
I guess it’s time to drive to a trail.
FW has hundreds of nice smooth concrete and gravel trails along the Trinity river.
I have also road many of the streets around FW getting to the trails and they are not too bad.
Yesterday road from Dallas to FW, 8am to almost noon and then cooled off at Cowtown Brewery with food and brew.
Its not easy and often pushing the limits of dehydration. Got to know your limits and when to stop or slow down.
Getting use to the excessive heat in DFW takes years of hard work and time in the elements.
I recommend cross training with strength and cardio in the elements.
I am 60+ for reference.
Old 08-06-23, 06:09 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by staehpj1
When it is that hot I am inclined to take a break from riding and work out on my concept 2 rowing machine. For some reason I find it more tolerable than indoor cycling. It is always humid here though and maybe if it was 87 F and dry and I was well acclimated I might still tough out pre dawn rides. It isn't my idea of pleasant riding conditions though.

At least around home there are other options for taking time off the bike. It seems that when I plan a long tour I seem to get stuck riding in high heat even when I plan for a time when it isn't supposed to be hot. When you are in the middle of a multi month tour and it is 100+ you don't have a lot of choices beyond trying to avoid the hottest hours of the day and hoping there is shade where you camp.
At 7am it’s 55% humidity with a dew point of 67*.
I’m going to the gym and work indoors for the near future.
Old 08-06-23, 06:29 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
At 7am it’s 55% humidity with a dew point of 67*.
I’m going to the gym and work indoors for the near future.
Our dew point was 73 at 7 AM and humidity was 99% when I was out for my ride. That is pretty typical. That really wasn't bad since the temperature was only 73 (feels like 82 according to my weather station). This is a bit of a break temperature wise from a while back. We really don't get a break from the humidity, although it felt cool yesterday because it was raining. I love trail riding in the rain (we have trail surfaces that stand up to the rain well). The dew point has been mostly in the lowish 70s when I get out early here and I have not yet considered moving inside yet this summer. I managed to get acclimated enough by riding in the dark (with a helmet light) in the early part of the season and gradually going out a bit later on the less hot days.
Old 08-06-23, 07:27 AM
George

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I just bought a stationary bike.
Old 08-06-23, 08:25 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by George
I just bought a stationary bike.
The gym I go to is close. I use the upright stationary bike there.
Old 08-06-23, 09:26 AM
essiemyra

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 90 Posts
When I was commuting to work by bike, I typically wouldn't let the heat change whether I rode. I would just ride slower on my way home and take the shady routes. This summer due to my husband breathing issues we are running the a/c more than ever as we have had many hot and humid days. I have begun to not want to leave the a/c and instead of riding as often as I would have I am staying inside also. I recently decided even if we are running the a/c constantly, I need to get out and ride as it is what keeps me happy.
Likes For essiemyra:
Old 08-06-23, 11:31 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
When I lived in Dallas I joined a gym to have a workout space with lower humidity and a cooler air temp. Out riding I found that my core temp was getting too high and I would start to feel faint which is the first sign of impending heat stroke. To get a good workout for my heart I needed a dryer and cooler environment.

Phoenix with the ambient air temperature was over 100 degrees had pavement surface temperatures of 170 degrees. That heat goes up to anyone on it whether on foot or on a bicycle. Our bodies evolved to operate at 98 degrees and hotter than that and we need to perspire and if the humidity is high the perspiration does not provide adequate cooling. Our blood slow helps with maintaining our body temperature and if we become dehytrated the blood is thicker and the heart needs to work a lot harder. This is a precursor to heat stroke and heart failure and death.

In essence if our body temperature rises about 103 degrees we are in trouble and need to seek relief as quickly as possible. A body temp device would be a good investment.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 08-07-23, 03:06 AM
nicocyclo

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I am from Central Europe so ussualy the heat isn´t that bad, but as I got older the heat is taking on me a bigger toll. So I started indoor-cycing. Now trying out ROUVY, tried Zwift too, but didn´t liked the cartoon style of the app.
Likes For nicocyclo:
Old 08-07-23, 09:07 AM
JustaJoe

Bikes: 2022 Kona Dr. Dew, 2022 Specialized Vado

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
After my ride yesterday, I am probably taking the week off. Mid 90's and very humid here in NC this week, and I have to get a minor procedure done on an arm (will have stitches).

I picked up some secondhand wheels and tires Saturday for my Crosstrail, they are 650b (27.5x2.25") Continental RaceKing tires. I had been riding 700x40 Schwalbe Hurricane tires.

For most people, my Sunday ride was no big deal; and having done it in the past, it generally isn't. However, it scared the daylights out of me. I started around 9:45AM, temp was around 82*, humidity about the same. I rode out 10 miles on a rail trail and was really in a groove and enjoying it. At the 10 mi point, I stopped for water and a short break, realized I was absolutely boiling, so I turned around. Of course, the ride back was almost entirely up a slight grade. The tires felt so sluggish, and I was struggling mightily to maintain any pace. I dropped from 72rpm / 15mph on the way out to maybe 55rpm / 8mph on the way back. I stopped about every 1.5 mi for a brief rest, and ate 3 Sports Beans.

I was completely bright red, starting to get a little light-headed, thankfully I was still sweating. My heart rate stayed around 175rpm. Thought my heart was going to explode. Anxiety kicked in big-time, which made things even worse. Decided to just keep going as easily as I could, kept sipping water (ended up consuming 48oz on that 10mi return leg). Upon returning to the car, it was 91*.

Having suffered heat exhaustion several times (duh!), I knew what was going on. Put the bike up, took off my soaked shirt, AC on full, and drove home like a madman. It took a while to come down.

I know a ride like this is child's play for most, but between my bad dietary habits, age/weight (58 and 200lbs at 5' 11"), and the wide heavy tires, it was just miserable and scary. I'll be riding my ebike primarily until it starts to cool off a bit. And I ordered some 650bx47mm tires last night.
Likes For JustaJoe:
Old 08-07-23, 09:25 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by JustaJoe
After my ride yesterday, I am probably taking the week off. Mid 90's and very humid here in NC this week, and I have to get a minor procedure done on an arm (will have stitches).

I picked up some secondhand wheels and tires Saturday for my Crosstrail, they are 650b (27.5x2.25") Continental RaceKing tires. I had been riding 700x40 Schwalbe Hurricane tires.

For most people, my Sunday ride was no big deal; and having done it in the past, it generally isn't. However, it scared the daylights out of me. I started around 9:45AM, temp was around 82*, humidity about the same. I rode out 10 miles on a rail trail and was really in a groove and enjoying it. At the 10 mi point, I stopped for water and a short break, realized I was absolutely boiling, so I turned around. Of course, the ride back was almost entirely up a slight grade. The tires felt so sluggish, and I was struggling mightily to maintain any pace. I dropped from 72rpm / 15mph on the way out to maybe 55rpm / 8mph on the way back. I stopped about every 1.5 mi for a brief rest, and ate 3 Sports Beans.

I was completely bright red, starting to get a little light-headed, thankfully I was still sweating. My heart rate stayed around 175rpm. Thought my heart was going to explode. Anxiety kicked in big-time, which made things even worse. Decided to just keep going as easily as I could, kept sipping water (ended up consuming 48oz on that 10mi return leg). Upon returning to the car, it was 91*.

Having suffered heat exhaustion several times (duh!), I knew what was going on. Put the bike up, took off my soaked shirt, AC on full, and drove home like a madman. It took a while to come down.

I know a ride like this is child's play for most, but between my bad dietary habits, age/weight (58 and 200lbs at 5' 11"), and the wide heavy tires, it was just miserable and scary. I'll be riding my ebike primarily until it starts to cool off a bit. And I ordered some 650bx47mm tires last night.
I am glad you made it safely home. That can be scary.
Old 08-07-23, 09:28 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I will be seeing a new primary care doctor Wednesday and my cardiologist at the end of this month. I will ask them but from looking up side effects I found that one of my bp meds makes me sensitive to the sun and the other makes me heat intolerant.
My goal now, other than continuing to lose weight, is to get off bp meds completely.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 08-07-23, 09:58 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
I will be seeing a new primary care doctor Wednesday and my cardiologist at the end of this month. I will ask them but from looking up side effects I found that one of my bp meds makes me sensitive to the sun and the other makes me heat intolerant.
My goal now, other than continuing to lose weight, is to get off bp meds completely.
Good luck with the docs. We are getting a break from the 100s this week. Hoping your area can get one but the news we see doesn't look promising.
Old 08-07-23, 10:08 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by big john
Good luck with the docs. We are getting a break from the 100s this week. Hoping your area can get one but the news we see doesn't look promising.
My local forecast shows temps over 100* for at least the next 10 days.
I saw a forecast from the Farmers Almanac saying we will have a colder wetter winter this year, so I have that to look forward to.
Meantime I gotta get to the gym and get my spot in front of the tvs tuned to Chive and ESPN.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 08-07-23, 11:16 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The body temp is the key measure and not BP or heart rate in determining how close one is to experiencing heat stroke and heart failure (the two go hand in hand). Staying well hydrated and monitoring your core temperature are important to staying alive. At a body core temp of 103 degrees you have crossed the edge and need immediate medical attention.

This device is not cheap but a lot less expensive than an ER visit. It is compatible with Garmin devices so one can use a Garmin sports watch or Edge computer and get a real-time feed of your core temperature.

https://corebodytemp.com/products/co...-5505961132198

With our continued global warming the days are only going to get hotter and put anyone exercising outoors at greater risk of heart failure from heat stroke. As deaths are routinely recorded as heart failure the actual number of heat stroke deaths is grossly underreported.

There are advantages to bicycling on unpaved trails where it is likely to be 10-15 degrees cooler than out on paved roads. I added several mountain bikes to our stable to have more options.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 08-07-23, 11:53 AM
rumrunn6

lots of kinds of records, besides any one day temperature, recently read about the Phoenix record:

"Phoenix and its suburbs sweltered more and longer than most, with several records including the 31 consecutive days of 110 degree-plus weather. The previous record was 18 straight days, set in 1974. The streak was finally broken Monday, when the high topped out at 108 degrees at 3:10 p.m."

hang in there!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-07-23, 11:56 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by JustaJoe
heat exhaustion
glad you made it thru!
I had an episode last year, or the year before I think. I decided to lie down in the shade for 20 minutes. I think it helped a lot
Likes For rumrunn6:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.