Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Custom shoes / Toe hot spot / Wide Feet

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-16, 03:20 PM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

This is my special foot/feet. It is very wide. I have worn wide shimanos, wide specialized, and still can not seem to beat the pinching in my right foot / right toe. Both feet are symmetrical, yes, I did check for abnormality in sizes. Is there a mountain or road shoe that has enough width for them? If yes, and or the internal measurements of wide shim/specialized are greater than this measurement taken, is there something 'off' about my pedal stroke and or form that is causing this?

A Merrell in 12 wide fits the feet well and doesn't cause any issues. (for reference)

Old 11-26-16, 03:56 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look into Bont shoes. Heat moldable foot bed and has an ergonomic shape which allows your toes to have more room. I also have a wide foot (Dont recall the measurement) and wear a 44W Bont. Its been a blessing to have a pair of shoes where my feet dont tingle or go numb.
Old 11-26-16, 04:27 PM
topslop1

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
Look into Bont shoes. Heat moldable foot bed and has an ergonomic shape which allows your toes to have more room. I also have a wide foot (Dont recall the measurement) and wear a 44W Bont. Its been a blessing to have a pair of shoes where my feet dont tingle or go numb.
Know which model you went with?
Old 11-26-16, 08:30 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Have you tried Sidi Megas? My feet are 3E-4E in width and the Sidis fit me well with normal socks. I have a pair of Giaus and Fives and both fit identical (size 42 FWIW).
Old 11-26-16, 10:22 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topslop1
Know which model you went with?
I have had 5 pair over the last 3 years. I started with 3 different vaypor + and now have 2 Zero +
Old 11-27-16, 09:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Those who never visited a proper shoe shop probably never have seen a Brannock device.. to get standard shoe-sizes,
[so they draw pictures outlining their feet]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brannock_Device

I assume There is an EU Metric version Too..
Old 11-27-16, 10:37 AM
topslop1

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Giving SIDI a shot.

Bonts look fabulous, but at $499 + $25 to ship 'em out from Germany, they're approaching the cost of my second hand bike itself

If SIDI fails me, I'll be in fancy shoes.
Old 11-27-16, 01:07 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
i feel your pain, i went with lake, EE so far so good
Old 11-27-16, 02:45 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you have hooves. spend on the bonts.
Old 11-28-16, 09:57 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Giving SIDI a shot.

Bonts look fabulous, but at $499 + $25 to ship 'em out from Germany, they're approaching the cost of my second hand bike itself

If SIDI fails me, I'll be in fancy shoes.
I got my Fives for a song from ProBikeKit. They don't have great stock of various sizes but if you get lucky, you can get a great deal through them.
Old 11-28-16, 10:22 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I just measured my foot at 4 1/8" (size 11),

& think them as medium width.

Does 3/16" wider really put one practically off the chart?
Old 11-28-16, 11:17 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I struggled and struggled to find properly fitting shoes as I have a 8 1/2 EEEE foot. I tried all of those suggested here and found them all to be tight even with my paper thin socks on. I started emailing different sales folks and found that Lake was very responsive and they suggested the MX 237 for me (I ride crank brothers pedals on my bikes). They fit well, are leather, so they can stretch a bit and are Carbon fiber soled. I suggest emailing some of the sales folks from the companies you are interested in. Hopefully they will understand their lasts and can suggest something that will fit based on your measurements.

Bottom line, you will have to pay a lot for shoes that fit.
Old 11-28-16, 12:50 PM
joejack951

Originally Posted by woodcraft
I just measured my foot at 4 1/8" (size 11),

& think them as medium width.

Does 3/16" wider really put one practically off the chart?
It's not just width but also volume and shape. I have fairly short toes and pretty wide feet which measure at EE width. Because of the stubby toes, my width is further forward than most shoes allow so I like even wider shoes than my measurements might suggest I wear.
Old 11-28-16, 01:01 PM
topslop1

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
It's not just width but also volume and shape. I have fairly short toes and pretty wide feet which measure at EE width. Because of the stubby toes, my width is further forward than most shoes allow so I like even wider shoes than my measurements might suggest I wear.
It feels, and seems like to me - that a lot of shoes taper off in the toe box, and I need it to remain open and not taper off. It's like my feet actually get wider up front, rather than smaller up front. Thanks genetics.

Old 11-28-16, 01:20 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Just bite the bullet and go custom. I did it a couple years ago and bought some semi-custom Riivos. I now have two pair of them. One of the best purchases I've made. Sure, they cost about $1000 a pair, but given the number of hours I spend on the bike each year and the number of years I keep my shoes, it's a pretty good investment.

And like you, I went through Sidi Mega, Specialized wide, Lake wide, Shimano wide, and tried Bont. None were as good as the Riivo's.
Old 11-28-16, 01:42 PM
topslop1

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Just bite the bullet and go custom. I did it a couple years ago and bought some semi-custom Riivos. I now have two pair of them. One of the best purchases I've made. Sure, they cost about $1000 a pair, but given the number of hours I spend on the bike each year and the number of years I keep my shoes, it's a pretty good investment.

And like you, I went through Sidi Mega, Specialized wide, Lake wide, Shimano wide, and tried Bont. None were as good as the Riivo's.
So not what I wanted to hear, but probably the right answer.
Old 11-28-16, 02:01 PM
joejack951

It feels, and seems like to me - that a lot of shoes taper off in the toe box, and I need it to remain open and not taper off. It's like my feet actually get wider up front, rather than smaller up front. Thanks genetics.
Your feet are very wide in the middle, too. Mine definitely start to get more narrow by that point, but are otherwise similar in shape to yours up front. Custom may be the way to go if Sidi or Lake doesn't work out.
Old 11-28-16, 05:28 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Have you tried Sidi Megas? My feet are 3E-4E in width and the Sidis fit me well with normal socks. I have a pair of Giaus and Fives and both fit identical (size 42 FWIW).
Same here. 4E width 9-1/2 size. Had the Giaus for six years and now just picked up a pair of the new mega 7's. (44). Only thing I had to do was cut the tongue as it was digging into my ankle.
Old 11-29-16, 07:50 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
So not what I wanted to hear, but probably the right answer.
Here's the thing, I wasted a lot of time, money and effort trying to find reasonably priced shoes that fit my feet before just going all in on custom shoes.

Almost no shops stock wide widths, meaning I'd have to order them online. I kept buying shoes and trying them and not liking them. Sometimes I could tell right away that I didn't like them, and I'd send them back - usually costing me shipping both ways, so $20-$30 down the drain. Other times, I'd give them a go on the bike and I'd either suffer through them for a couple years, or sell them on eBay/CL/Paceline for a substantial loss.

I was not happy about spending so much on shoes, but a friend pointed out how much I spent on my bike and wheels and kits and helmets and race fees, but I wasn't willing to shell out the dough for a pair of shoes that are going to be comfortable on my feet. Shoes are an important contact point. If you ride enough, it's a wise investment.

Also, if you have legit foot issues, you may be able to work through a podiatrist and your health insurance company to have them cover some of the cost. I didn't do that, but someone mentioned that it is possible.
Old 11-29-16, 10:34 AM
topslop1

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Here's the thing, I wasted a lot of time, money and effort trying to find reasonably priced shoes that fit my feet before just going all in on custom shoes.

Almost no shops stock wide widths, meaning I'd have to order them online. I kept buying shoes and trying them and not liking them. Sometimes I could tell right away that I didn't like them, and I'd send them back - usually costing me shipping both ways, so $20-$30 down the drain. Other times, I'd give them a go on the bike and I'd either suffer through them for a couple years, or sell them on eBay/CL/Paceline for a substantial loss.

I was not happy about spending so much on shoes, but a friend pointed out how much I spent on my bike and wheels and kits and helmets and race fees, but I wasn't willing to shell out the dough for a pair of shoes that are going to be comfortable on my feet. Shoes are an important contact point. If you ride enough, it's a wise investment.

Also, if you have legit foot issues, you may be able to work through a podiatrist and your health insurance company to have them cover some of the cost. I didn't do that, but someone mentioned that it is possible.
I've got about 1-2 more pairs to give a shot with before I give-in. Sidi's show up next monday.
Old 11-29-16, 02:41 PM
lennyk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think my foot is as bad as or worse than yours, flat and overpronated
Sidi Mega did not fit me well, the shoe may have been wider but the sole seemed to be the same as the nonmega
so my foot would rock side to side.

My last 4 pairs of road shoes have been Shimano all size 46, currently use r170
bought an r171 couple months ago but not used yet and have r087 on trainer
the r087 was wide size but others were not and fit me still.

46 is probably just slightly half size larger but works for me, if my foot was normal width I would
surely fit in half size smaller easily.

Normal shoes are a problem for me, I only find shoes in 11.5 that fit me and some dont at all due to lack of width in arch area.
Old 11-29-16, 03:03 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
poor hobbitses

can try 1 sz larger. longer shoe, but wider toebox

tricksy tricksy
Old 12-01-16, 12:34 AM
topslop1

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
poor hobbitses

can try 1 sz larger. longer shoe, but wider toebox

tricksy tricksy
easily the best post here. i'll sidi, then i'll half size up. woe is the devil in me.
Old 12-06-16, 06:01 PM
topslop1

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
They shipped me a size 7 womens pair of sidis after a week and a half. Then they told me they won't be in stock for another month. So a month + a week to ship 'em out to me. I'm not too happy but what am I going to do. $199 down from $250. Haven't been able to find a 46.5 mega anywhere else.. not even for the list $249.

Offered me nothing for the inconvenience.

competitivecyclist.com since I don't mind hosing people who hose me.

Last edited by topslop1; 12-06-16 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-11-16, 03:37 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't mean to pick on you, as I share your problem here, but it's sad how misunderstood foot shape is in this modern shod society we are in. Your foot shape is not bad because of genetics, it's the way it is suppose to be. Actually your toe spread is not nearly as wide as it should be. Modern shoes deform our feet over time, causing the toes to bend inward and compress. Almost every shoe out there has this rounded (or pointy) toebox which molds the toes inwards. Nothing good comes from this, other than you'll fit better in modern footwear (if you consider that a good thing). The biggest thing I notice is in almost every case the inner part, around your big toe, always curves inward where your big toe should fan out slightly. The only shoes I've seen that allow the big toe to be at least mostly straight are the so called 'barefoot shoes' (kind of an oxymoron if you ask me). I solve the dilemma mostly by cycling barefoot - no problem finding the right shoes and all the fuss of sending ones back and spending a lot of money, and my toesies fit just perfect in my non shoes lol. I know I know, danger Will Robinson! Only issue I've had is winter of course, but I mostly ride the rollers inside when it's cold out. Anyhow, hope you find ones that fit! Just don't blame genetics for making you right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.