Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cable routing on a vintage MTB

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-22, 04:53 PM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts

Currently running 1x with gear with all the cable routed nicely through cable holding guides on the top tube. See the photo attached.

Planning to change to 2x, I suspect the grey brake cable should be moved to the bottom cable holding guide to free the middle cable holder for the front gear cable. Unfortunately the bottom guide is too wide and can't really hold the brake cable.

What do I miss? What are my options?

Last edited by alexk_il; 09-11-22 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-11-22, 05:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,432 Posts
You missed a few possibilities. For example the frame may have been designed for hydraulic brakes, in which the 3rd position would be a support for the brake line.

There are options involving using a full housing for either the brake or a gear cable.

Looking at the mating cable bridge will provide some insights.

Feel free (encouraged) to post a 2nd photo and text description of what's there now for more specific help.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-11-22, 05:34 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=stepped+ferrule&iax=images&ia=images&pn=1
It looks like your frame was designed for full length housing. Though, depending on the particulars of your bike specifically, a stepped ferrule as shown in the DuckDuckGo sort engine link above may allow for a break in the housing...If that is what your goal is.

If it were me, I'd just run full length housing (simpler) or use hydraulic brakes if capable.

Last edited by base2; 09-11-22 at 05:40 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 09-11-22, 05:35 PM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by FBinNY
... the frame may have been designed for hydraulic brakes, in which the 3rd position would be a support for the brake line.
Looking at the mating cable bridge will provide some insights.

Feel free (encouraged) to post a 2nd photo and text description of what's there now for more specific help.
It was originally sold with V-brakes and 3x, the frame supports disks. The previous owner has modified the bike for 1x with V brakes, I'm building 2x with TRP Spyres.

Here is another photo of the front cable guides. The one closer to the rear looks identical, just reversed.
​​​​​​

Not sure if this helps, but
Old 09-11-22, 05:37 PM
alexk_il

Thanks, I guess that's what I am missing. 😁
Old 09-11-22, 05:40 PM
alexk_il

Is it "one size fits all" solution or are there variants? I can see ferulles in the search window to be visually different.
Old 09-11-22, 05:48 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Frame appears to be designed for a full housing run on the unused housing guide on the cable stop cluster. You will likely have to run a full housing on whatever will be using that free spot. If it is too large to secure shift housing, I would replace the rear brake cable and housing with a full housing utilizing the spot that is currently free, and then use the free cable stop for the front mech.
Old 09-11-22, 05:57 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by alexk_il
Is it "one size fits all" solution or are there variants? I can see ferulles in the search window to be visually different.
There are indeed various types and styles. The one I was thinking of was (but took me a few extra minutes to find):
https://www.amazon.com/Jagwire-Alloy.../dp/B0025UGY7Q
It is supposed to adapt from full housing to broken/open housing. I have a pill bottle of them but, sadly I do not have firsthand experience. Though, I see no reason why it would not be the proper product.
Likes For base2:
Old 09-11-22, 06:03 PM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by SalsaShark
Frame appears to be designed for a full housing run on the unused housing guide on the cable stop cluster. You will likely have to run a full housing on whatever will be using that free spot. If it is too large to secure shift housing, I would replace the rear brake cable and housing with a full housing utilizing the spot that is currently free, and then use the free cable stop for the front mech.
This is the bike Trek 6500 SLR. Was definitely sold with V-brakes.

The guides are about 7mm wide, the break cable is 5mm, how do I make sure the fully housed cable doesn't pop out of the guides when I rotate the handle bar? Or accidentally touch the cable?
Old 09-11-22, 06:09 PM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by base2
There are indeed various types and styles. The one I was thinking of was (but took me a few extra minutes to find):
It is supposed to adapt from full housing to broken/open housing. I have a pill bottle of them but, sadly I do not have firsthand experience. Though, I see no reason why it would not be the proper product.
Might work, the 7.3mm diameter seem to match my guides. Thank you.
Old 09-11-22, 06:26 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts

Found a photo of a 6500, and looks to be a step ferrule of sorts designed for the rear brake. The one in the picture looks to have a flange to keep the bushing and housing secured.
Looks like Base2 linked to the correct product.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 09-11-22, 06:33 PM
alexk_il

Thank you, I just needed the term "Cable stops" to find what's required.

Here is a quick video that explains how it works, perhaps it will be helpful for someone in the future.

Likes For alexk_il:
Old 09-11-22, 06:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Keep in mind that there MAY be a safety (or legal liability) issue here.

Depending on the structure, the stops may not be strong enough (not the stops, but the mount to the frame) for the relatively high loads of brake cables. A stop (glue) failure will disable the brake, possibly causing a crash, but definitely inconvenience, plus an annoying repair. So it's possible that the manufacturer, knowing the legalities in the event of failure opted to save the grief by routing a full housing brake cable.

This was never a problem BITD, when "braze ons" were acrually brazed to steel frames. When the design was translated to aluminum or carbon frames and stops were either glued or riveted on, all sorts of unanticipated issues happened.

If you don't KNOW how well the stop was affixed, I suggest you use a full housing brake cable.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-12-22, 04:49 AM
alexk_il

Keep in mind that there MAY be a safety (or legal liability) issue here.
If you don't KNOW how well the stop was affixed, I suggest you use a full housing brake cable.
Good point, thank you. How do I prevent the full housing from popping out of the cable guides which are too wide to keep the cable inside?
Old 09-12-22, 02:52 PM
FBinNY 

You can find a ferrule of the right ID and OD and drill out the bottom, then slide them onto the housing, and maneuver them into place when the installation is complete. Keep them home with a light adhesive if necessary.

Alternately, fit the cable, mark the place where the guides are, pop out the cable, wrap in tape to build it up, then pop back in and slide back into position.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 09-12-22, 05:34 PM
alexk_il

You can find a ferrule of the right ID and OD and drill out the bottom, then slide them onto the housing, and maneuver them into place when the installation is complete. Keep them home with a light adhesive if necessary.

Alternately, fit the cable, mark the place where the guides are, pop out the cable, wrap in tape to build it up, then pop back in and slide back into position.
Good idea of using the tape, thanks.

I think I will take my chances though and will trust Trek to know what they are doing. The bike was designed to use mech brakes, the risks of them doing it wrong aren't that high. I would assume that a dangerous frame design would have prompted Trek to issue a recall, like they did with front rotors and QR levers a decade ago.

I'll check the cable stoppers idea first, hope it will.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited by alexk_il; 09-12-22 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-12-22, 06:27 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts

I think I will take my chances though and will trust Trek to know what they are doing. The bike was designed to use either disk or rim brakes,

Thanks anyway.
Common practice in the “transition era” was mfgrs making a frame with both rim and disk mounts and using it on a couple-three different models at different price points, especially mid-range MTBs.

Since your TREK has disk mounts, it makes sense that the cable guides are intended for hyd lines, since the buyer of the less expensive v-brake model would be more likely to be ok with adapter ferrules than someone paying for the higher-line disk brake version.
Old 09-12-22, 07:17 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
It was originally sold with V-brakes and 3x, the frame supports disks. The previous owner has modified the bike for 1x with V brakes, I'm building 2x with TRP Spyres.

Here is another photo of the front cable guides. The one closer to the rear looks identical, just reversed.
​​​​​​

Not sure if this helps, but
A step ferrule won’t work. They “step” from 5mm to 4mm (usually) and the opening on your cable guide is larger than 5mm. You need a guide stop. It goes into the oversized cable guide and the 5mm brake cable ferrule goes into the guide stop. See pictures below

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Here’s how much larger the cable stop is than a 5mm ferrule

Normally, the oversized ferrule allows for the bike to use hydraulic lines if desired.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-12-22, 08:18 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
A step ferrule won’t work. They “step” from 5mm to 4mm (usually) and the opening on your cable guide is larger than 5mm. You need a guide stop. It goes into the oversized cable guide and the 5mm brake cable ferrule goes into the guide stop. See pictures below

Here’s how much larger the cable stop is than a 5mm ferrule

Normally, the oversized ferrule allows for the bike to use hydraulic lines if desired.
You mean like the one I linked to in post number 8 & was subsequently confirmed as correct by SalsaShark & RJ The Bike Guy via the OP's linked video?

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-12-22, 08:29 PM
FBinNY 

I think I will take my chances though and will trust Trek to know what they are doing. The bike was designed to use mech brakes, the risks of them doing it wrong aren't that high. I would assume that a dangerous frame design would have prompted Trek to issue a recall, like they did with front rotors and QR levers a decade ago.

No problem, and didn't want to scare you which is why I full capped and bolded "MAY". In any case, there seems to be rust, meaning that you have a steel frame (you can check with a magnet), implying the boss is brazed on. If this were an aluminum frame, the absence of a visible weld would imply a bonded (glued) boss.

In any case, a valuable mental exercise is to put yourself in the role of the maker and try to figure out what they might have been thinking. So here you have a boss with 3 positions, 2 gear + 1 brake. It would have been easy to have all three identical, so you have to ask yourself, WHY is one different? Also, the third position lacks a fulcrum (housing stop), again ---- WHY? Not knowing anything more, you need to consider the possibility that it was not intended to bear much load, and therefore allowed for a lower strength attachment.

I'm not saying this is the case here, and others have offered a good answer, but the mental exercise is critical to making good decisions when modifying ANYTHING. Failure to consider what the guy before me was thinking, and/or what could possibly go wrong, has lead to many engineering disasters, from bridge collapses to booster rockets.