Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Aero bars on a heavy commuter

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 07:00 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts

Riding a bike with 28" wheels and flat bars (good for road and light offroad). It is good, but when riding 10 or more km on a strong headwind, some lower bars would be better.

Is it a good idea to try aero bars on a heavy, loaded commuter (almost 20kg bike, plus 10 - 20 kg load on back rack)? Will it be dangerously unstable to hang on to narrow aeros in strong wind?

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 10-24-11 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-24-11, 10:46 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing I've done which is a bit unusual is take some standard bar ends and mount them on the inside of my grips, upside down and reversed. It sort of gives you cheap drops on a flat bar, and the way I have it set up I can actually shift from the "drops" (and brake, using brake lever extenders).

Code:
ggggbss____(o)____ssbgggg
   b        |        b
  b         |         b
 b          |          b

g = grip
b = barend
s = shifter
(o) and | = stem

I'll take a pic one day.
Old 10-24-11, 11:27 AM
formicaman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aero bars are standard on touring bikes. Touring bikes weigh a ton, at least when loaded. In short, why not? Keep in mind where you would put your shifters and whether your brake levers would work though.
Old 10-24-11, 12:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I used a Zzipper 'Thriller' fairing , and a set of aero bars.. for the forearm pads,
on an hour long commute, on a rural road.
The fairing was the key.. so bars didn't have to be low, the fairing did the aero,
and the weather went around my upper body ,
not through my clothing , so even in colder weather I was more comfortable.

+ I could hear better thru my ear buds and so, Books-on-tape from the Library
made good use of the ride time..

Aero bars are standard on touring bikes
Ha! they are not in the carton shipped to the shops, so they are not standard
a commonly acquired accessory, like mudguards and the racks, perhaps.
which are rarely put on bikes in the factories that put them in the carton to be assembled at your dealer..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-28-11 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-24-11, 12:17 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by formicaman
Aero bars are standard on touring bikes. Touring bikes weigh a ton, at least when loaded. In short, why not? Keep in mind where you would put your shifters and whether your brake levers would work though.
Drop bars are standard. Didn't think aero bars were.

Anyway, the steering with aerobars is definitely more touchy. You get used to it and one nice thing about them is that their use is optional.

I don't think it's a good idea to ride on the aero bars in a crowded area unless you've got quick access to brake levers. If you're worried about them in crosswinds, just save them for the headwinds. I don't remember having too much trouble with them on windy days FWIW.

My biggest gripe is that the ones I have limit space on the tops for lights, computers, bells, and even hands. With a little creativity you can find other ways to mount that stuff though.
Old 10-24-11, 01:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Is it a good idea to try aero bars on a heavy, loaded commuter (almost 20kg bike, plus 10 - 20 kg load on back rack)? Will it be dangerously unstable to hang on to narrow aeros in strong wind?
How good an idea it is depends on if you already have them, and how much they'll cost if you don't. Don't use them in strong side winds, or on curvy descends. The rest of the time, they'll offer you a different hand position and let you stretch your back out some. Until I changed my handlebars recently, I had aeros on my commuter bike, and it was nice to be able to cheat the wind (headwinds), but also nice to have another position for myself.
Old 10-24-11, 01:36 PM
hiyer1

Bikes: 2012 Cervelo S5 Rival and 2012 Speed Concept 9.9 Di2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Overboard-Lite...9484849&sr=8-1

Pros: 100% waterproof (even submersible), low-profile black look is office-appropriate, back features a highly reflective silver triangle.

Cons: Does not breath well, difficult to put a water bladder inside with the straw outside, basically one huge compartment, not a rigid bag.
Old 10-24-11, 02:52 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
My inclination would be to switch to drop bars. They're more aero than flat bars, more stable than aero bars, and can be very comfortable in the drops if set up correctly.

- Scott
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-24-11, 03:04 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
My inclination would be to switch to drop bars. They're more aero than flat bars, more stable than aero bars, and can be very comfortable in the drops if set up correctly.

- Scott
I'm afraid that drop bars would be tricky when I go off road. Thought that aeros (while keeping my current bars) would be a good compromise.

Head wind on a 10 km commute can be annoying. That's what got me thinking about aeros. I haven't tried aeros before (haven't got them). Not even sure how much they would cost and where to get them, but saw them on another bike similar to mine and thought: "that looks low enough to avoid headwind!"

Just not sure how effective aeros really are in fighting headwind, and how safe it is to steer on a flat, straight road with heavy traffic overtaking me at some 50 km/h (2 lanes each way, so not too many close calls).
Old 10-24-11, 03:26 PM
somedood

Bikes: Ibex Xray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm afraid that drop bars would be tricky when I go off road. Thought that aeros (while keeping my current bars) would be a good compromise.

Head wind on a 10 km commute can be annoying. That's what got me thinking about aeros. I haven't tried aeros before (haven't got them). Not even sure how much they would cost and where to get them, but saw them on another bike similar to mine and thought: "that looks low enough to avoid headwind!"

Just not sure how effective aeros really are in fighting headwind, and how safe it is to steer on a flat, straight road with heavy traffic overtaking me at some 50 km/h (2 lanes each way, so not too many close calls).
Aero bars would be worse the drop bars for stability offroad. Cyclocross racers use drop bars (they race both on and off road), I've never seen cyclocross bikes outfitted with aerobars I assume because of less stability than normal road handlebars. Aerobars are more aerodynamic than drops, but if you're planning on riding the aero's offroad I would reconsider - you can always switch to the flat bar when you're offroad , though.

I can see the desire to put aerobars on a flatbar bike, especially considering the cost to change to drops from flat bars. What speeds are you normally reaching while riding?

Cyclocross Drop bar fun:

Old 10-24-11, 03:30 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by somedood
Aerobars are more aerodynamic than drops, but if you're planning on riding the aero's offroad I would reconsider - you can always switch to the flat bar when you're offroad , though.

I can see the desire to put aerobars on a flatbar bike, especially considering the cost to change to drops from flat bars. What speeds are you normally reaching while riding?
Definitely plan to stick to flat bars off road. Thought drop bars would be too scary for off road, aeros definitely - they would just be unused going off road.

My speeds are around 30 km/h in the open road, around 25 km/h on MUPs (that is around 19 and 15 mph).

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 10-24-11 at 03:32 PM. Reason: "in the open road" is better than "on the open road"? :)
Old 10-24-11, 03:41 PM
somedood

Bikes: Ibex Xray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the winds aren't shifting quickly, and your load is secure it seems like it would work out fine. I haven't ever actually ridden with a heavy load and aero bars, so take it for what it's worth. The closest I've gotten to that is having a lightly loaded pannier on my commuter (with drop bars) and resting my elbows on the flat part of the bar to pretend like i have aero bars and it felt fine. Having the option of shelter from the wind is great - it still is suffering, but just knowing it could be that much worse eases the pain a bit.
Old 10-24-11, 04:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Drop bars are fine off the road. I used them a lot on my CX bike, which I'd occasionally take up into the mountains. But they're also very expensive, because you'll have to change your shifters.

Aero bars compromise handling, and they put you kind of far from the brakes and shifters. Use them judiciously, and you'll be fine.
Old 10-28-11, 02:11 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Installed 2nd hand aero bars and am very happy. They work!
37 km/h on flat ground vs 30-32 without aeros. In the headwind they are even better. Got used to them in no time. Good compromise - kept flat handlebar, shifters and brakes, but added another seating position that is also more aero. Nice.
Old 10-28-11, 12:40 PM
CptjohnC
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Installed 2nd hand aero bars and am very happy. They work!
37 km/h on flat ground vs 30-32 without aeros. In the headwind they are even better. Got used to them in no time. Good compromise - kept flat handlebar, shifters and brakes, but added another seating position that is also more aero. Nice.
I often wondered about this when I rode flat bars regularly. I compromised with 'drop bar ends' (from Origin8 if memory serves) which did the job pretty well, but definitely got in the way for tight handling stuff (I think flat bars tend to be wider than drops -- that could be just my erroneous perception, though).

I also occasionally think about adding aero bars to my drop bar bike when fighting a headwind or cruising long distances over straight, empty roads, but I doubt I'd gain all that much over using the drops, and I don't want to mess with too much extra stuff over and above my already crowded cockpit, esp. for commuting.

Consider posting a picture of your set up and giving us an update after 30 days of use or so, to see what challenges you might have encountered?
Old 10-28-11, 01:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

taking a 30+ mph downhill hairpin on aero bars, and staying on them
is not for the faint at heart.
even the pros hold on to the wider grip of their bars, then.

hours on the flat terrain, is another thing..
Old 10-29-11, 12:37 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

In a few weeks I'll let you know how it rides. Here's what it looks like:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bicikl-aero 008.jpg (76.3 KB, 152 views)
bicikl-aero 007.jpg (87.4 KB, 117 views)
bicikl-aero 004.jpg (96.7 KB, 126 views)
bicikl-aero 006.jpg (89.0 KB, 122 views)
bicikl-ranac 005.jpg (89.8 KB, 103 views)
bicikl-aero 005.jpg (75.4 KB, 103 views)
bicikl-aero 003.jpg (78.4 KB, 105 views)
Old 10-31-11, 08:23 AM
CptjohnC
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! Love the light on the end of the aero bar. The set up looks quite tidy, so I hope it works for you long term.
Old 10-31-11, 02:25 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Drop bars are fine off the road. I used them a lot on my CX bike, which I'd occasionally take up into the mountains. But they're also very expensive, because you'll have to change your shifters.
Drop bars aren't fine off road, they're awesome off road. People have been using drop handlebars off road since the early days of mountain biking, and they really do work well. Granted, they have to be set up slightly differently from road drops, but they can still be useful both off and on road.
Old 12-07-11, 12:39 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Apart from the bike looking like it came out of a Mad Max film (like my avatar), I love 2 more riding positions. Hands on top of the aeros to sit almost straight and enjoy the scenery and aero position for stretching back and riding against strong headwind. Aero position is not used 99% of the time, but when I need it, I need it. Also, I put a lot of weight on the back of my bike, and bars used to wobble. Now with aero adding extra weights, the wobbling is gone.

Downsides are extra weight and less room on the "cockpit". Had to put the stronger front light at the end of aeros - would have prefered it on the bars.
Old 12-07-11, 03:37 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what brand of aero bars are those?
Old 12-07-11, 04:00 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That kind of aerobar setup is common in the windier parts of Netherlands, even on granny bikes.
Old 12-07-11, 12:03 PM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ridden drop bars off road (on and off) since '85. They work just fine. Another bar to consider is Titec's J-Bar or H-Bar.
Old 12-07-11, 02:01 PM
ibis_ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about these:
Old 12-07-11, 02:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

On an hour long commute I set the bike up with a Zzipper road fairing, Thriller model
and a set of aero bars , Up High and Close, so I didn't need to hunker over for that trip
the fairing not only took over the Aero need , of low position,
and it also made the wind go around rather than thru my clothing, in cold weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.