Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Curl @ Taipei Cycle Show

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Curl @ Taipei Cycle Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-23, 07:43 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Curl @ Taipei Cycle Show

Discs. 9-speed derailleur. Single sided front fork.

Likes For tcs:
Old 03-23-23, 10:15 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
The Dahon Scoliosis!

(single sided fork was never a good idea. Cannondale out front should have told ya)
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 03-24-23, 04:09 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
On a folding bike, a single side fork is usually chosen to reduce the folded width, don't know if it is the case for this new modified Curl?
Old 03-24-23, 06:29 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Jipe
On a folding bike, a single side fork is usually chosen to reduce the folded width, don't know if it is the case for this new modified Curl?
The 9-speed derailleur w/ disc is going to be wider than the IGH rear of the present Curl, so it makes sense that going to a single sided fork was to 'buy back' some of the folded width.
Old 03-24-23, 06:35 AM
CEBEP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Looks interesting. No suspension in the back?
Old 03-24-23, 07:30 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by CEBEP
No suspension in the back?
Nope. Dahon's Curl has never has active suspension.
Old 03-24-23, 11:45 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
Now if they would just make a 20-inch version.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 03-24-23, 11:57 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Discs. 9-speed derailleur. Single sided front fork.
Do you think the 9 speed derailleur will be a better option? I remember some having issues with the plastic chain tensioner Dahon was using (if I'm correct). Plus the disc brakes are more to my liking. Looks nice.
Old 03-24-23, 01:10 PM
tcs
Palmer

I think IGHs are the better option for small wheel bikes*. I'm not in the industry but my impression is that the fat slice of the world market disagrees and would rather have derailleur gearing. Even Brompton has expanded offerings in the derailleur direction.

*I'm flexible on this, though. Give me reasonable high gears and keep the jockey pulley out of the mud and I'm okay with small wheels + derailleurs.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-24-23, 01:21 PM
tcs
Palmer

For the definitive look into single sided forks*, see the late Mike Burrows "Bicycle Design" (out of print but your local library should have a copy).

Fun fact: every Vespa ever made (since 1946) has a single sided front fork*.

*Pedantic Sheldon Brown would chastise me for calling this a 'fork'.
Old 03-27-23, 06:26 AM
Jipe

There will alo be an electric asist Curl with like for the Electric Brompton a front hub motor:

Likes For Jipe:
Old 03-27-23, 09:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

The electric version has ISO305 wheels//tires and cabling inside the frame.

The above bike has the primary seatpost shoved all the way down and the chain unshipped from the chainwheel. Unfortunately typical sloppy details of a Dahon marketing image.

Do these bikes represent what will actually be offered to consumers? Anytime soon? In North America? It's Dahon - shrug - who can say?
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-27-23, 09:59 AM
tcs
Palmer

The disc brakes clean up the front end and allow for a front luggage carrier mount* - which Dahon has elected not to fit.

(*I don't miss it but some folks really get their knickers in a twist about this so why not add one, Dahon?)

Old 03-27-23, 10:44 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by tcs
The disc brakes clean up the front end and allow for a front luggage carrier mount* - which Dahon has elected not to fit.

(*I don't miss it but some folks really get their knickers in a twist about this so why not add one, Dahon?)

Would you not prefer that this load be taken by the frame? Strange that Dahon did not put a luggage block lug on this model. Serious omission. Does your bike roll on the rear like as well as Brompton?
Old 03-27-23, 08:54 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Would you not prefer that this load be taken by the frame?
Nope. Touring bikes almost universally have the dunnage attached to the steering axis.

Strange that Dahon did not put a luggage block lug on this model.
At a cost of pennies in the factory.

Serious omission.
Not really. Still at so little cost and something a portion of potential customers think they want, why not?

Does your bike roll on the rear like as well as Brompton?
There's a video by 'he who cannot be named' showing a folded Curl given a push and rolling way across the warehouse floor. The bike tracks straight and takes no discernable effort to push along in trolley mode. Hard to imagine a folded bike rolling better*. The Brompton I rented for my bike&train tour in Scotland didn't have a rear rack so I don't have a basis to compare.

*On a smooth surface. Like nearly all folding bikes, unfold it to roll across rough/unpaved surfaces.
Old 03-28-23, 03:13 AM
Jipe

I fully agree with Schwinnsta, having the front bag attached to the frame is much better than on the handlebar/steering.

Many bikes and cargo bikes have a front carrier attached to the front frame (Brompton of course but also many Tern bikes, many Riese & Müller bikes, Moulton bikes, Tyrell Yve, i:SY...).
Old 03-28-23, 05:48 AM
tcs
Palmer

Well, it just so happens that there's a current thread on the Touring subforum titled "Talk me out of frame mounted racks" about this very subject.

In other news, I've owned and ridden an Alex Moulton bike with a frame-mounted front rack since 1984. Over the last 38½ years, I've gathered some experience with that setup.

Last edited by tcs; 03-28-23 at 05:54 AM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-28-23, 06:55 AM
Jipe

Originally Posted by tcs
In other news, I've owned and ridden an Alex Moulton bike with a frame-mounted front rack since 1984. Over the last 38½ years, I've gathered some experience with that setup.
Me too, I have two Moulton with a front bag mounted on the head tube and a Brompton with a front bag and two Birdy with front bag and a Tern GSD with front bag , actually all my bikes excepted my Pino semi recumbent tandem and my Passoni Topforce race bike do have a front bag attached to the head tube of their frame.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 03-28-23, 10:50 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by tcs
Nope. Touring bikes almost universally have the dunnage attached to the steering axis.

At a cost of pennies in the factory.

Not really. Still at so little cost and something a portion of potential customers think they want, why not?

There's a video by 'he who cannot be named' showing a folded Curl given a push and rolling way across the warehouse floor. The bike tracks straight and takes no discernable effort to push along in trolley mode. Hard to imagine a folded bike rolling better*. The Brompton I rented for my bike&train tour in Scotland didn't have a rear rack so I don't have a basis to compare.

*On a smooth surface. Like nearly all folding bikes, unfold it to roll across rough/unpaved surfaces.

I would use the multi quote if I knew how that worked. As for touring bikes, that's because they have larger wheels, lower trail, the frame load would be high up, and the geometry is not conducive. If the load is through the steering fork then having narrow low panniers is better.

Once you are down to 20-inch wheels, having the load on frame is much better. See traditional "butcher" bikes. It does take a little while to get used to the rack not turning. Rather than beat this to death, let's agree to disagree. For the Brompton, with rack and easy wheels, the centroid of the folded bike in shopping cart mode was within the footprint of the easy wheels, but barely. This made it too unstable for easy shopping. It was doable, but you had to be careful, or it could tip over. I tried the wheel extenders and found them problematic. It was not until I modded the back of the rear rack and extended the rear right wheel outward that it really became a very useful shopping cart. The limiting factor of the load is about 30 pounds on the front block. Then stability gets to be an issue. Now Brompton limits you to 20 pounds. I think if you were to overload it, it would failure point would be the top bolt either breaking (ideal) or pulling out and stripping the threads. I would then have to drill out and rethread for 6 mm screws.

Anyway, the shopping cart only works because the bag is carried on the head tube which puts it in an ideal position when folded.

Likes For Schwinnsta: