Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helmet Question

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Helmet Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-22, 08:31 AM
palincss

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mcmoose
There are many different vehicles classified as e-bikes. Mine is a Bianchi Aria-E, which is basically their Aria road bike with a 250W motor that I must pedal to engage. The motor assist cuts off at 20 mph, and the bike weighs ~27 lbs. You've ordered a 73 lb bike with a motor that can crank 1200W. So, while they're both e-bikes, they are very different beasts.
I'm very comfortable wearing my usual MIPS road bike helmet when riding the Aria-E. When I look at the helmets on the Super73 website, they look more, um, substantial. I think there's a reason for that. Remember that both mass and velocity factor into momentum and energy. Both have to be dissipated during a crash. Dress accordingly.
Happy New Years and Happy Trails!
The Bianchi Arie-E is a bicycle. The Super73-S2, on the other hand, is an "electric motorbike."

The Urban Cruiser

The S2 is a high performance electric motorbike designed for the urban adventurer, built with an aircraft-grade aluminum alloy frame and a fully adjustable air spring suspension fork.

High Performance Electric Motorbikes

The SUPER73 is a high performance electric motorbike that does not require a license, insurance, or registration. All bikes comes with a battery that you can easily charge with any standard 110v outlet. On this model, the battery is removable with a key, making it easy to charge both at home and in-between rides.

I'd call that a moped, or even an electric motorcycle. On its web site, Super73 shows owners riding them around wearing motorcycle helmets.

You aren't going to be doing any pedaling riding one of these, so the sacrifices bicycle helmets make in crash protection in the interest of light weight and ventilation aren't needed. IMHO, if you're riding a motorcycle, wear a motorcycle helmet.
Likes For palincss:
Old 03-21-22, 04:52 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I agree about a motorcycle helmet. A problem with this electric bike is that the rider is not going to be all that visible to motorists and the chances of a collision are much greater. I would even look into one of the bike flags that attaches to the bike and sticks up 6 feet. It makes the cyclist much more likely to be seen by a motorist.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 03-25-22, 10:18 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
I would even look into one of the bike flags that attaches to the bike and sticks up 6 feet. It makes the cyclist much more likely to be seen by a motorist.
I don't know ... I'd probably try and hit a cyclist doing something as daft as that. I don't even put a flag on my recumbent bicycle which is mainly where the flag thing originated. The idea being that recumbents, especially recumbent tricycles, hang out rather below the level of most bicycles. In practice this proves not to be much of an issue. The average driver sees a lot more than cyclists give them credit for. This is very odd to me since 98.5% of cyclists are also drivers.

Odds are, that IF a cyclist meets with mayhem on the road, there was either a lot they could have done about it, or nothing they could have done about it. It does little good to put a 6' flag on your bike and take it on Barbour Blvd. at rush hour! No flag and a route that avoids the four lane arterials at peak traffic times is by far the better idea. A motor does not make your bicycle require anything that a regular bike doesn't require. I don't see 6' flags on any bicycles I happen to see out there.