Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Scraping and clanking from rear wheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 03:18 AM
Simeon Hope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A bike shop replaced my rear wheel last year. Since then, I hear intermittent scrapes, clanks and other odd noises when I ride my hybrid 21-speed bike. I thought it was from inside the pedal assembly but I thoroughly oiled it to no effect and it seems to happen when I free-wheel too. The shop replaced the cassette and chain last week but the same problem exists. Can anyone suggest what is causing this and how I might rectify it?
Old 03-27-22, 06:22 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Sounds like the problem was there and you took it to the shop to have them fix it.. " The shop replaced the cassette and chain last week but the same problem exists". Take it back to the shop. Noises can be difficult to track down and diagnose. Could be any number of things-broken axle, rough bearing cups, could even be in the headset. Noise can travel. You paid for a repair, get a repair.

Last edited by freeranger; 03-27-22 at 06:41 AM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-27-22, 07:27 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Check how your chain is routed through the rear derailleur. If routed incorrectly the chain rubs on the cage tabs. This may not be the problem since it would not make a racket when freewheeling, but it's easy enough to check.
Old 03-27-22, 09:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
What does the bike shop tell you about the noise? You did tell them about it when you've taken it to them didn't you. Don't make them guess why you brought it to them!