Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Seeking high volume storage solutions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-23, 12:55 PM
Bagel Bob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I work with a non-profit group that repairs donated bikes for distribution to underprivileged kids and needy adults. Last year we gave out over 950 bikes. We are currently in the design stage for a new storage shed that will be 60'x16'. I'm looking for a hanging rack system to run the length of each side of this new building. We're looking to store 100+ bikes. There's a company in the UK that makes a system with hooks that slide along a rail. It seems ideal, but also VERY pricey. I'm just wondering if there's a better idea. We are in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Old 06-08-23, 01:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Some 2x4s and Park Tool hooks is what we used at work for holding hundreds of bikes. A storage container works well if you have the space as it is totally waterproof and well sealed and easy to lock up.

As much as those other solutions are quite nice and I want them for home usage I think for a super large volume situation as yours the hooks will do just fine.

Park Tool might even help out if you are a non-profit. I would reach out to them and see if they have any ability to donate?
Old 06-08-23, 05:14 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I would buy cargo containers as they are relatively inexpensive (thanks to more product being shipping into the USA than is exported year after year) and they can be easily relocated in the future. The standard height is 94 inches and width is 92" for standard 20' and 40' containers. Adding hooks are the least expensive way to keep bikes in place. I would take rebar and bend it into hooks with a rebar bending tool and all for varying lengths so the height of the lifting is minimized for your people. The hooks can be spot welded to the ceiling of the container.

A container would be the cheapest way to deliver bikes in quantity to another town to set up an additional distribution point. No problems with locking up a container for security and I would expect that in most areas no permits are needed for what become storage sheds.
Old 06-08-23, 05:39 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,964 Times in 4,689 Posts
Being in Lincoln, NE, there will be no shortage of companies that make larger metal buildings for ag applications. Get one of those and then install a cheap solution as recommended by veganbikes . And as suggested, your status as a non-profit might get you some price breaks. I've been there and done that with a non-profit bike program.
Likes For Koyote: