Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Moving up to the electronics age...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-23, 03:17 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts

Hi everyone,
I thought I'd share my change over from mechanical to electronic/hydraulic drive train/braking.
After a lot of hemming and hawing I've finally taken a dive into the electronic shifting age. I'm currently changing my '22 Aethos frame from 11 speed Ultegra (mechanical shifting and braking) to 105 Di2. I'm nearly done and hope to take it on the road Monday. I'm going to the Black Fly Challenge this weekend and still waiting on the crankset which won't be in until Monday.

So far the build is going great. I'm no expert on hydraulic brakes but they came out great. I used several YouTube videos and found GC Performance's to be the best. The most important part was removing the 'olive' from the shifter and sliding it over the hose then insert and tighten the through lock to prevent uneven insertion and possible leaking. It was a breeze and the brakes feel great. The 105 calipers also work great with no rub at all thanks to a bit of a wider design.
I do work in a bike shop as a wrench but don't work on a lot of hydraulic brakes so I'm always a 'nervous nelly' that I'm going to screw something up. I never have but it still makes me nervous because stopping is kinda important. I have much more experience with mechanical systems (20 years part time in bike shops in sales and wrenching).

I've not started the derailleurs yet as I'm waiting on the wires, charging cable and chain to come in. But I've checked the battery levels on the shifters and they are flashing green so good to go knowing at least that function and the braking work.

While able to buy at wholesale I opted to go 105 based on cost and watching/reading many many reviews. I just didn't feel the need to go to Ultegra and the savings are quite a bit.
Build pics soon.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 06-09-23, 07:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I am curious on the 105 Di2. I took the plunge years ago with Ultegra Di2 and it was and still is fantastic though it is mechanical rim brakes. The 105 looks to be good stuff and has always been solid in the past. It should be a fun build. If you don't need the Ultegra I can make sure it goes to a good home...LOL!
Old 06-09-23, 07:26 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Hi everyone,
I thought I'd share my change over from mechanical to electronic/hydraulic drive train/braking.
After a lot of hemming and hawing I've finally taken a dive into the electronic shifting age. I'm currently changing my '22 Aethos frame from 11 speed Ultegra (mechanical shifting and braking) to 105 Di2. I'm nearly done and hope to take it on the road Monday. I'm going to the Black Fly Challenge this weekend and still waiting on the crankset which won't be in until Monday.

So far the build is going great. I'm no expert on hydraulic brakes but they came out great. I used several YouTube videos and found GC Performance's to be the best. The most important part was removing the 'olive' from the shifter and sliding it over the hose then insert and tighten the through lock to prevent uneven insertion and possible leaking. It was a breeze and the brakes feel great. The 105 calipers also work great with no rub at all thanks to a bit of a wider design.
I do work in a bike shop as a wrench but don't work on a lot of hydraulic brakes so I'm always a 'nervous nelly' that I'm going to screw something up. I never have but it still makes me nervous because stopping is kinda important. I have much more experience with mechanical systems (20 years part time in bike shops in sales and wrenching).

I've not started the derailleurs yet as I'm waiting on the wires, charging cable and chain to come in. But I've checked the battery levels on the shifters and they are flashing green so good to go knowing at least that function and the braking work.

While able to buy at wholesale I opted to go 105 based on cost and watching/reading many many reviews. I just didn't feel the need to go to Ultegra and the savings are quite a bit.
Build pics soon.
Should have gone with Sram wireless, you'd be on the road by now
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-10-23, 07:59 AM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
Good for you! My experience with 105 Di2 is very positive. I think making the change from Shimano to Shimano will please you.

Just to note, I recently acquired a mechanical Campy Chorus 2x12 equipped bike and the multi-gear shift capability of Campy is a feature I like and use a lot and would not give up. Fortunately, I don't have to!

Ride safely!
Likes For eljayski:
Old 06-10-23, 02:13 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
I'm currently changing my '22 Aethos frame from 11 speed Ultegra (mechanical shifting and braking) to 105 Di2.
What are you doing with your perfectly serviceable Ultegra group that is in no way deficient in braking or shifting?
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 06-10-23, 02:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,926 Times in 4,159 Posts
So you currently have mechanical disc brakes? Otherwise does not compute to go from rim brake to disc on same frame. Unless frame and fork accept both, which I have not heard of.
Old 06-10-23, 02:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,926 Times in 4,159 Posts
BTW you should be able to use current crankset with new group.
Old 06-11-23, 07:15 PM
Kai Winters

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
What are you doing with your perfectly serviceable Ultegra group that is in no way deficient in braking or shifting?
Unsure at this time...possibly keeping or ebay bound
Old 06-11-23, 07:17 PM
Kai Winters

Originally Posted by datlas
So you currently have mechanical disc brakes? Otherwise does not compute to go from rim brake to disc on same frame. Unless frame and fork accept both, which I have not heard of.
My Aethos was running TRP Spyre mechanical disk brakes.
The Aethos is disk only.
While I had absolutely no problems with the mech disk system I've been wanting Di2 for some time but just couldn't pull the trigger on Ultegra even at wholesale but 105 is within my budget and the finance minister...wife to you lol...gave me the go ahead so I made the purchase.
Old 06-11-23, 07:20 PM
Kai Winters

Originally Posted by datlas
BTW you should be able to use current crankset with new group.
Funny you say this as I'm waiting for the 105 crankset to come in and didn't want to wait to set up the di2 so I used the Ultegra 11 speed crankset which is roughly 3 years, perhaps 4, old...I got it on a bike I bought a few years ago. It is working fine and the front der. shifts the chain perfectly.
I will change to the 105 crank when it comes in just because I've not had a complete, matching grouppo for nearly 23 years.
Old 06-11-23, 07:34 PM
Kai Winters

Update
Finished the Di2 install and setup today.
Took several days due to a bit of a get away. A crew of us went to Inlet NY to race the Black Fly Challenge Gravel Grinder and I just got back this afternoon.
Setting up the Brakes was a piece of cake thanks to help from the YouTube video on how to install and bleed the brakes provided by GC Performance. He made it look so easy and indeed it was.
The drivetrain was also straight forward and the ETube app quickly picked up the derailleurs, battery and shifters. The derailleurs and battery had updates but the shifters were up to date.
The crank hasn't arrived yet...Monday I think...so I tried my 11 speed Ultegra crank and it worked fine. I'll still use the new crank. I want a completely new kit and it's the first matching kit I've had in around 23 years lol.
I'm unsure what I'm going to do with the 11 speed Ultegra mixed system.
I took the bike for a quick spin around the neighborhood and oh boy does the Di2 work great. It is so smooth and honestly far faster than mechanical which surprised me. It is also a nice feature to just hold down the rear der button and have the der move all the way up or down...very cool. It is also very quiet which also surprised me. I watched a few YouTube videos where it was commented on the sound of the derailleurs during shifting.
The brakes are also so smooth. My Diverge, which survived the Black Fly race quite well, has Sram hydro and it's the first bike with hydro I've owned and love the light tough required. I have small hands and appreciate the light touch lol.
Overall I'm thrilled with my new system and can't wait to take it out for a training ride tomorrow.
Thanks for all the input...love this forum...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 06-14-23, 07:26 AM
Kai Winters

Update:
I've been on two rides thus far and yesterday was intervals day, a great way to test a bike under extremes. It is flawless ! ! ! I'm thrilled at how fast it shifts and the braking is butter smooth and very powerful now that the pads are bedded in.
I have not yet received the 105 crankset and am using my 11 speed Ultegra crankset. Wow ! it works just fine. It is roughly 2 years old and has around 15k miles on it so I'm guessing the teeth are worn enough and the 12 speed chain is close enough to the 11 speed chain that it works. The chain moves smoothly from the big to small and vice versa. I guess I could just use the Ultegra but I've not had a matching groupo in over 20 years so I'll use the 105 crankset when it comes in.
The drive train is also very quiet and I only hear a faint sound of the front derailleur servo moving the chain.
I do wax my chains and am using Silca's wax which is very nice.
That's all for now...thanks for reading and commenting.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 06-14-23, 11:01 AM
Kai Winters

Another update:
While sitting on the Chesterfield today I was wondering if my Di2 system could connect with my Garmin Edge 830. I googlyed a search and huzzah lots of links to exactly what I was wondering about. It seems this has been around for awhile so I jumped on the train and synced my Edge with the Di2 system and it works great.
Here is a pic of my display...I left it stock since it seems to display everything I'd be interested in looking at now and then.

Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 06-14-23, 04:03 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
I upgraded my Birdy folding bike to XTR Di2, and am enjoying it. A faulty wire caused me a little grief for a time, but now it works flawlessly. I’m in the process of converting my Moulton from Dura Ace 7700 to Di2 9070 with XTR 9050 levers (I hate “brifters”), and am looking forward to getting it on the road.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 06-15-23, 08:28 PM
Kai Winters

Here she is, all done. The 105 Crankset came in today. It only required a bit of a tweak to the front derailleur to set it up perfectly. I have it set to manual shifting mode now. I want to get used to it before I start monkeying with the semi mode and what gears I want the shifts to occur.

Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 06-17-23, 06:24 AM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
^ ^ ^
this is a handsome bike!
Old 06-17-23, 09:40 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
Impressive bicycle and interesting to see how technology can be used with them. It’s not for me, I’m an urban commuter, but I can see the purpose. It reminds me of sports cars, not always useful but nice to drive and look at.
Old 06-17-23, 08:07 PM
Kai Winters

Originally Posted by jfouellette
Impressive bicycle and interesting to see how technology can be used with them. It’s not for me, I’m an urban commuter, but I can see the purpose. It reminds me of sports cars, not always useful but nice to drive and look at.
It would not be my choice for any type of commuting bike. I'd rather sit more upright, flat bars, racks to hold things and comfy, durable tires that go thru anything. But those are not why I ride my Aethos.
Old 06-17-23, 08:17 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Here she is, all done. The 105 Crankset came in today. It only required a bit of a tweak to the front derailleur to set it up perfectly. I have it set to manual shifting mode now. I want to get used to it before I start monkeying with the semi mode and what gears I want the shifts to occur.

Looks great!