Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is really better, Trek or Specialized?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is really better, Trek or Specialized?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-21, 04:45 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
From recently bike shopping Giant seems to be the value leader at least around 3k for a gravel bike where I was shopping. I don't think any of the big name brands make a bad bike. Comes down to what moves you. Since I was on budget the most value for group set is where I pulled the trigger. Maybe my next bike I buy will be a more emotional purchase. I keep eyeing Ti bikes but they are like 2k more for the same groups set I can get on a Giant.
Yep, this is true. Giant have always been a top value brand for several reasons, mainly their scale as the World's largest bike manufacturer. They manufacture a lot of frames for other smaller brands too.
I'm the same. I know my Giant Defy is as good as anything else on the market (in the same category), but I have trouble "connecting" with it emotionally. In some ways that's a good thing because I can just focus on riding and not fuss over cleaning it religiously.
My next road bike will likely be more exotic, but still certainly carbon. I'll keep the Defy as my daily workhorse because it's pretty hard to fault.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-29-21, 06:47 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4734 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Makes it ironic, or is it part of their anti-competition agreements with their corporate buyers, that Giant's own branded bikes are hard to find on the pro tour?
Old 05-29-21, 09:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Trek stopped being Trek when they moved production to Taiwan. And yes, the Greg LeMond saga is disgraceful.

Trek's used to be made by Trek in Waterloo Wisconsin. Ironically their headquarters is still there. Now they are most likely made by Giant, Maxway or one of their competitors in Taiwan.

According to an Internet search, Giant may make Trek's frames. Why? Quality and technology is as good as it gets for high production bike frames and the production cost is lower.

I would not shy away from a Taiwanese-made bike. They make high quality goods. Am I a Taiwan lover? Heck NO!!! I buy American as much as possible. But I do give the devil his due.

Giant and Maxway are the companies behind the big names we recognize. Specialized's bikes are made in Taiwan also and probably by one of these companies or one their competitors. That's why so many different bikes these days from multiple brands look a lot the same.

You might ask, what's in it for Giant to make frames for Trek? Money...lots of it too.

--
Why do you view various and somewhat unknown bike manufacturers in Taiwan as 'the devil'?

Also, Maxway is hardly a large manufacturer. They are known for production steel frames...which is a relatively niche market within new bike sales.

To add to your rant, or really to make it better, Specialized is partly owned by a Taiwan based company.

Your post reads like someone regurgitating info they just learned 2nd hand from someone else who went on a rant.
Old 05-30-21, 12:50 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
Greg also got screwed by Modolo. They were using his name without his permission.

Yes the mountain bike went downhill from 84, with all that shock craze for people who did not know how to ride adding weight and complication to the sport. Then all manner of full suspension contraptions that made the bike look more like a can opener than a bike. Then all the gears that you absolutely do not need came in and got clogged up with mud to the point where the chain would glide over the top of the freewheel.

Mountain biking did not start in marin county. it started as soon as the bicycle was invented, because they did not have paved roads back then.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 05-30-21, 04:55 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Makes it ironic, or is it part of their anti-competition agreements with their corporate buyers, that Giant's own branded bikes are hard to find on the pro tour?
I don't know if Giant produce frames for any of the other manufacturers (I would be more surprised if they don't since most carbon frames are outsourced to Asian factories) currently supplying WT teams, but CCC were riding Giants up until 2020.
Old 05-30-21, 08:35 AM
Motorazr

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Diverge Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I would not shy away from a Taiwanese-made bike. They make high quality goods. Am I a Taiwan lover? Heck NO!!! I buy American as much as possible. But I do give the devil his due.--
Buying American because you happened to have been born in the United States makes as much sense as preferring the Cleveland Browns football franchise just because you're from Northern Ohio, or preferring any other sports franchise because they happen to be near you. What makes a company "American"? The nationality of its anonymous shareholders around the world? The nationality of the company's senior management team? The nationality of its designers and engineers? Or the nationality of its assembly workers? Is GM auto assembled in Canada from internationally-sourced parts more "American" than a Ford auto made in Mexico? Are Detroit-branded autos shipped from neighboring countries more "American" than a Honda from a plant in Ohio, a Hyundai from Alabama, a Volkswagen from Tennessee or a Mercedes from South Carolina?

Why are workers in the country you live in (with the highest GDP of any country in the world) somehow more deserving than workers in poorer countries? Or do you just want to support the citizens a country (whose owning-class citizens have vastly different interests than its working-class citizens) with a military budget the size of the nine next largest militaries combined? Maybe, we're saying that American human beings are somehow just better than non-American human beings and would we still think the same if we ourselves were non-American?

Rather than subscribing to nationalism and dividing people by country of origin, I prefer classism and dividing people into the owning-class, middle-class, working-class, and the poor. I don't think owning-class and middle-class human beings need any extra support from me. I do, however, feel an obligation to pay attention to the working-class and poor human beings sharing the planet with me, especially those who are least able to overcome their life's challenges.

As far as I'm aware, over their collective histories, Specialized has been a more ethical company than Trek. If that's not true, then I'd love to hear the details and thus be better informed.
Likes For Motorazr:
Old 05-30-21, 11:00 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorazr
As far as I'm aware, over their collective histories, Specialized has been a more ethical company than Trek. If that's not true, then I'd love to hear the details and thus be better informed.
Well, there was this.
​​​​​​https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reta...t#.YLPEUS0Z7rc
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-30-21, 11:49 AM
Motorazr

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Diverge Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
And the rest of that story....

Specialized founder and owner Mike Sinyard takes responsibility and apologizes in person to Café Roubaix owner (Dec 12, 2019)
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sin...roubaix-owner/

Specialized to purchase Roubaix trademark in US for $700k (Jan 14, 2019)
https://cyclingindustry.news/special...-trademark-us/
Likes For Motorazr:
Old 05-30-21, 05:48 PM
LSUFANDAN

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I prefer Specialized for some reason. Trek styling is just too much for me. I currently have a Diverge and Tarmac lol. I looked at all the major brands before I made my purchases and just like the styling of Specialized the best. I think I had a harder decision picking between Giant and Specialized more than Trek. Giant just gives you more bang for your buck. Giant styling is pretty nice also.
Old 05-30-21, 07:20 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorazr
And the rest of that story....

Specialized founder and owner Mike Sinyard takes responsibility and apologizes in person to Café Roubaix owner (Dec 12, 2019)
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sin...roubaix-owner/

Specialized to purchase Roubaix trademark in US for $700k (Jan 14, 2019)
https://cyclingindustry.news/special...-trademark-us/
Only because it was a PR disaster that they caught lots of flack for.
Roubaix trademark debacle - Fuji weighs in -
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-30-21, 07:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don't know if Giant produce frames for any of the other manufacturers (I would be more surprised if they don't since most carbon frames are outsourced to Asian factories) currently supplying WT teams, but CCC were riding Giants up until 2020.
I think 2021 is the first time in more than 20 years that Giant isn't sponsoring a world tour team.
Old 05-31-21, 04:17 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Trek
Old 06-01-21, 06:30 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Specialized and it's not even close.

The corporate culture of Trek represents everything problematic in the USA version of unregulated capitalism. They are a disingenuous company from the top to the bottom, from the CEO to the people working and running their 'concept' stores. Their 'concept' stores are pretentious and performative and the way in which they squeezed out their own vendors in many markets by undermining them with these corporate concept stores has damaged the overall LBS marketplace in many areas of the US. They have a long, sordid and full history of unethical business practices and soured relationships in the industry.

Specialized is more innovative and currently builds better bikes. Their entry level builds offer better wheels sets and hubs and they have blown past Trek in Mtn biking tech over the past decade. Their newest aluminum frames (coming out of Merida) are superior to what Giant is producing for Trek. It is a better grade of metal with a better technology being used to put it together.

None of the large bike corps like being transparent in any fashion but Trek is the most opaque of them all. They certainly do not like the public knowing that Giant builds most of their frames.

Trek remains the bully on the block because they outspend everyone else in advertising. It is no coincidence in the USA that the top 10 companies that spend the most money on advertising their products match up 1 to 1 on the list of which companies have the largest sales of said products. Whoever spends the most on ads is able to buy the most customers. People buy what they are exposed to and develop 'brand loyalty' due to logos and brands that have been seared into their retinas.

Trek does more direct marketing and direct targeting of individual customers than any other USA bike company and it works as they currently command 22% of the sales in the market.
Likes For Cpn_Dunsel:
Old 06-02-21, 11:16 AM
PeteHski

I can’t say I have any major issues with companies producing bicycles! I presume Trek are not supplying missiles to dictatorships. It also doesn’t bother me about Giant producing their frames. Giant have some good factories. I still generally prefer Specialized bikes though. I just like their style.
Old 06-02-21, 01:40 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I presume Trek are not supplying missiles to dictatorships.
They supply bicycles to fascist institutions.
Old 06-02-21, 02:45 PM
Scott C

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 & Dual Sport 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think they are all comparable, I like Trek, but would have bought Specialized, Cannondale, Giant or others .... In pandemic times you have to grab what you can (which is what I did with my dual sport last year), the new Emonda SL5 and that blue sung to my soul so I had to have it and I was willing to wait .... I don't believe any brand at these levels are so much better than others, just my opinion and on a side note happy to be here
Old 06-02-21, 05:09 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
I'm going Trek for my next bike.
Old 06-02-21, 06:57 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
Which ones?
Old 06-03-21, 03:49 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
I guess fascist institutions are free to buy whatever brand of bicycle they like. Maybe they happen to like Trek bikes?
Old 06-03-21, 04:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Only because it was a PR disaster that they caught lots of flack for.
Roubaix trademark debacle - Fuji weighs in -
So? That's hardly a solid example of a toxic corporate culture.

I haven't seen Trek apologize to all the people they screwed over protecting Armstrong.
​​​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-03-21, 05:02 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by livedarklions
So? That's hardly a solid example of a toxic corporate culture.

I haven't seen Trek apologize to all the people they screwed over protecting Armstrong.
​​​​
Yep, trivial fluff compared to what the likes of VW and the big oil companies get up to.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-03-21, 11:17 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I ride whichever bike gives me the most social smugness capital.

Here's my process...I research at least 50 years of history for every bike I consider buying. I get a list of the top 25 executives from each company and do an exhaustive social media review to see if they've ever said anything "problematic". I also comb through the Law Library of Congress, PACER, JUSTIA, and other legal databases using the bike company names and any subsidiaries along with checking the executive’s names and known associates as well. You can never be too safe.

Next I'll scour the internet (BBB, forums, etc.) for any RUMINT on each bike brand as well. I'll ignore any positive stories I read cause it's all "marketing". The hushed toned conjecture from internet dweebs (my heroes) is what I'll place more credence with.

I'll compare mission, vision, and values statements, financial reports if available (I'll buy no bike from some company that takes too much "profit" I mean what has capitalism done for any of us amirite?). Do they support the "correct" social issues, are they sustainable, do they purchase carbon offsets, all the things that ACTUALLY matter when it comes to the building of a bike.

After a 2-3 years of part-time research (I do have a family and a full-time job...what's that? When do I actually ride a bike...OK Fred) I'll finally pick a worthy companion to my bike riding stable. In the end I settle on only the finest of steel frames hand-welded deep beneath the earth in the fiery caverns of Mont Ventoux by master artisans (as long as they genuflect to the current zeitgeist of our betters in the government, media, and academia).

Last edited by aplcr0331; 06-03-21 at 11:29 AM.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 06-03-21, 12:04 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,834 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinOldPhart
Domane is pronounced DA-MONE. The bike was built to honor Vic Damone, who died in 2018.

Not sure who/what/where the bike was named after, but 2 Trek dealers have corrected my "Dough Main" pronunciation to Dough-Ma-NAY.

Best bike for you (the original poster)? Probably a custom something by an experienced builder, if you can clearly communicate what you seek.

Maybe start above or below or at a frame builder local to you.
Old 06-03-21, 12:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,546 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Not sure who/what/where the bike was named after, but 2 Trek dealers have corrected my "Dough Main" pronunciation to Dough-Ma-NAY.
It was named after the character Mike Damone in Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-03-21, 12:57 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It was named after the character Mike Damone in Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

This is the correct answer.
Likes For seypat:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.