Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Just looking around for a new bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 10:38 AM
fungirl

Bikes: Norco Charger, Giant Avail 2 (2010) and Cannondale CAAD9 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am already looking for a brand new road bike. This will be my first one (have a MTB) and I am planning to do some long distance charity rides. Other than that I don;t know yet if I will try races. I also will join a riding club. What do you guys think, is this bike a good entry level for me?
It's a 09 Cannondale Capo, dont know if you want more information about it or does it say enough? (Still doubting about a crossbike too)
Old 12-08-09, 10:41 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Given your username I'm glad the title of your post wasn't "Just looking around for a new ride".

Whew.
Old 12-08-09, 10:41 AM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
isn't the capo a track bike? look at caad9 in the cannondale line.
Old 12-08-09, 10:58 AM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A Capo is a fixie. A single speed that if you reverse the hub has no coasting. Not for charity rides !!
I don't see a cross bike unless you mean a cross between a drop bar road bike and a mountain, you know flat bar. Cyclecross.. don't see the point, they DO have drop bars.
If Cannondales appeal to you, you would be hard pressed to find a road bike quite as highly regarded as a Caad 9. A Synapse might be a wiser choice, it's more comfort , possibly distance oriented which I believe is more up your alley. You MUST ONLY consider a female specfic bike. I don't need to explain that.
Old 12-08-09, 12:15 PM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by old and new
A Capo is a fixie. A single speed that if you reverse the hub has no coasting. Not for charity rides !!
I don't see a cross bike unless you mean a cross between a drop bar road bike and a mountain, you know flat bar. Cyclecross.. don't see the point, they DO have drop bars.
If Cannondales appeal to you, you would be hard pressed to find a road bike quite as highly regarded as a Caad 9. A Synapse might be a wiser choice, it's more comfort , possibly distance oriented which I believe is more up your alley. You MUST ONLY consider a female specfic bike. I don't need to explain that.
As far as considering a WSD bike only (?) I would have to disagree, I would ride a bunch of bikes, your body will know which fits you bets, and it may or may not be a WSD frame. If you are taller than the average female (5'7" or so I believe) the WSD thing becomes less of an issue, most of them stop at a 53cm frame.
Old 12-08-09, 01:44 PM
fungirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe a bit more information. I am 5"5 and this bike is a Cannondale Capo with this info:
"This boss bike sports Cannondale's light, stiff CAAD5 aluminum frame with understated styling that's equally at home blowing by competitors or handling start-and-stop traffic. A flip-flop hub lets you choose from a fixed-gear (no coasting!) or singlespeed setup depending on the ride. Plus, the Capo sports brakes and drop bars for greater versatility and plentiful hand positions."
Frame Cannondale CAAD5 Optimo Aluminum
Fork Cannondale Ultra, carbon
Rims/Wheels Jalco
Hubs Formula Track, flip-flop
Spokes DT Swiss Champion
Tires Maxxis Fuse, 700 x 25c
Crankset TruVativ 5D 1.0
Chainwheel 42T
Rear Cogs Shimano 17T
Handlebars Cannondale C3
Stem Cannondale C4
Brake Levers Tektro
Brakes Shimano Sora
Pedals Wellgo platform
Saddle Selle San Marco Ponza LUX
Seat Post Cannondale C2 carbon-wrapped

I do know for sure that I will use my bike for charity rides. I was considering a cross bike because I like doing trails as well. But maybe a dedicated road bike for the long distance rides, maybe club rides, I thought looking at a road bike. I would like to have a good bike that can do the things I just mentioned. There is also a Trek 1.1 WSD in the same price category. I know I have to testdrive them of course. But like I said, already looking around.....
Old 12-08-09, 02:02 PM
WantsAPuppy
BrrrrrrRRRrr

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fungirl
Maybe a bit more information. I am 5"5 and this bike is a Cannondale Capo with this info:
"This boss bike sports Cannondale's light, stiff CAAD5 aluminum frame with understated styling that's equally at home blowing by competitors or handling start-and-stop traffic. A flip-flop hub lets you choose from a fixed-gear (no coasting!) or singlespeed setup depending on the ride. Plus, the Capo sports brakes and drop bars for greater versatility and plentiful hand positions."
Frame Cannondale CAAD5 Optimo Aluminum
Fork Cannondale Ultra, carbon
Rims/Wheels Jalco
Hubs Formula Track, flip-flop
Spokes DT Swiss Champion
Tires Maxxis Fuse, 700 x 25c
Crankset TruVativ 5D 1.0
Chainwheel 42T
Rear Cogs Shimano 17T
Handlebars Cannondale C3
Stem Cannondale C4
Brake Levers Tektro
Brakes Shimano Sora
Pedals Wellgo platform
Saddle Selle San Marco Ponza LUX
Seat Post Cannondale C2 carbon-wrapped

I do know for sure that I will use my bike for charity rides. I was considering a cross bike because I like doing trails as well. But maybe a dedicated road bike for the long distance rides, maybe club rides, I thought looking at a road bike. I would like to have a good bike that can do the things I just mentioned. There is also a Trek 1.1 WSD in the same price category. I know I have to testdrive them of course. But like I said, already looking around.....

This bike is a fixed-gear/single speed bike. I would recommend getting something that can shift if you want to get into charity rides/road biking. Im not an expert or anything...but single speed bikes/fixed gear bikes are alot nicer for just commuting. If you are on the road (where terrain is dynamic) the ability to shift to a different gear is quite handy.

I just bought a Trek 2.1 couple of months ago, so i would recommend the trek 1.1 if you want to get into charity rides etc.

otherwise the other bike looks good for riding around on a track or just commuting.
Old 12-08-09, 02:10 PM
Brandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noise boy
As far as considering a WSD bike only (?) I would have to disagree, I would ride a bunch of bikes, your body will know which fits you bets, and it may or may not be a WSD frame. If you are taller than the average female (5'7" or so I believe) the WSD thing becomes less of an issue, most of them stop at a 53cm frame.
Agreed...my first bike was a WSD Trek 1000, but I haven't had a WSD bike since then and I'm 5'5. Cervelo's I'm on a 51cm, Trek and Cannondale on a 52cm.

There's nothing wrong with the Capo, but if you're going for longer charity rides, you may want to consider a bike with a derailleur. I'd try the CAAD9 (if you're thinking of racing) and the Synapse for comfort.

Wheels Rolling
Old 12-08-09, 03:41 PM
fungirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh thanks everyone, I learned a bit more. I am a newbie, want to look around for a road bike and good that I did. Now I know to save up a bit more money. I didn;t know the Capo was a track bike
I looked at the Caad9 and that seems a really nice bike too.
Old 12-08-09, 05:42 PM
Brandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh thanks everyone, I learned a bit more. I am a newbie, want to look around for a road bike and good that I did. Now I know to save up a bit more money. I didn;t know the Capo was a track bike
I looked at the Caad9 and that seems a really nice bike too.
You only know if you ask! Nothing wrong with that.

Now is a good time of year to pick up an '09 bike. You might call around or visit your local shops and see who is blowing out their '09 stock. Most bike shops want to move in the '10 bikes so you can get a pretty good deal on last year's model.

Wheels Rolling
Old 12-08-09, 06:10 PM
bigtea

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assuming that you are 5'4" or taller and don't need a special frame, you might look into the Douglas CF bikes that are sold by Colorado Cyclist. They have a nice sale and the bikes are loaded with better than typical for the price components. I ride titanium but those are, for most people, too pricy for a first bike.
Old 12-09-09, 10:30 AM
fungirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandy
You only know if you ask! Nothing wrong with that.

Now is a good time of year to pick up an '09 bike. You might call around or visit your local shops and see who is blowing out their '09 stock. Most bike shops want to move in the '10 bikes so you can get a pretty good deal on last year's model.
There is one on sale, which seems a nice one to me: its a Trek 1.2 Triple WSD for $ 879.99 (CAD)Would that be a good choice, other than the Caad9 which is about 400 dollars more. LIke I said before, just need something to start with it. Long distance and maybe racing. What do you think?
Old 12-09-09, 12:02 PM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
There is one on sale, which seems a nice one to me: its a Trek 1.2 Triple WSD for $ 879.99 (CAD)Would that be a good choice, other than the Caad9 which is about 400 dollars more. LIke I said before, just need something to start with it. Long distance and maybe racing. What do you think?
I rode a 1.2 (not a WSD) when I was test riding bikes before eventually buying the CAAD 9 that I have now. What I discovered is that at the entry level area (Trek 1.2, 1.5, Cannondale CAAD9-7 & Synapse, Specialized Allez, etc) that the bulk of the bikes have a more comfort oriented geometry (taller head tube, relaxed seat and head tube angles) which make them good for new riders, and long rides, as it is a bit more of an upright riding position. The CAAD9 seems to be the only bike at that price point with a more race-oriented geometry. All of them are great bikes, and they mostly have the same or similar component spec, so in the end ride a bunch and see what you think. In the end, the differences are fairly minute, so for a beginner bike, any of them will work, even through the start of your racing career.
Old 12-09-09, 02:02 PM
RoboChrist
Swollen Member

Bikes: Linus Roadster 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking around for an all-around road/distance/race bike I don't know if you can do much better than a CAAD9, they are very special bikes for the price, the frames are extremely durable, feel great and are very snappy off the back wheel.. Very much a bike worth holding onto and upgrading.
Old 12-15-09, 10:10 AM
fungirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One step closer....just registered for the Conquer Cancer Ride, two days ride from Vancouver to Seattle!! I will train on my MTB in winter time but might swap tires, getting some slicks and see how that goes. If I can afford it, I will go for a CAAD9 or a Trek 1.2 triple (depends on my budget in the next few months). Still need to test them both. Good choice?
Old 12-15-09, 10:15 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At that level even try a Specialized Dolce, Giant Avail or whatever it is. All around same price range depending on options. the CAAD9 has more namesake appeal, but I would ride them all if you can. You have some time before making the decision correct.
Old 12-15-09, 10:41 AM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One step closer....just registered for the Conquer Cancer Ride, two days ride from Vancouver to Seattle!! I will train on my MTB in winter time but might swap tires, getting some slicks and see how that goes. If I can afford it, I will go for a CAAD9 or a Trek 1.2 triple (depends on my budget in the next few months). Still need to test them both. Good choice?
Good job registering for the ride now.

For an entry level road bike I would go with a compact 50/34 instead of a triple. Especially if you plan on racing. My Jamis Ventura Sport has been great as an entry level road bike and I have even used it in a few races. Be sure to visit all of your LBS and check out other brands besides Trek and Cannondale. Be sure to check out Scott, Specialized, Felt, Jamis, Giant and many others.