Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Performance clothing fit?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-06, 08:40 PM
DRLski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking at getting a Performance Triflex LS jersey but was wondering how their clothing fit? Is it big like Pearl Izumi or correct sizing like Giordana? I take a large in Girodana but a medium in Pearl Izuma.

Thx.
Dave
Old 02-15-06, 08:55 PM
NRRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found the Performance jerseys run large, but I'm not sure it's consistent among all the different offerings. For instance, I wear an XL in their Ultra bib shorts, but a medium in their basic short sleeve and long sleeve jerseys. I also wear a medium in the PI vest if that helps.
Old 02-15-06, 11:50 PM
MSC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave: You'll want the medium. My Pearl Izumi jerseys fit like Performance - both mediums in the 38-40 chest range. My Giordana jersey is a large/size 4 but is tighter than the other two.
Old 02-16-06, 12:43 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that Performance jerseys fit bigger, like PI.

Old 02-16-06, 01:07 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Comparing the fit of different brands is not that easy. Giordana has "Pro Fit" and "Super Fit", with the former being the traditional racer fit and the latter being a super-sized USA fit. Pearl Izumi has "Form Fit", "Semi-form Fit", and "Relaxed Fit". The fit is generally listed on the jersey hang tags and web sites for both of these brands.

Performance also uses different fits, depending on who actually made the garment. Unfortunately, they do not list the sizing on the hang tags or web site. You need to try it on and see. Most of their stuff, however, is as big or bigger than the biggest stuff from Giordana or Pearl Izumi.
Old 02-16-06, 02:24 PM
djtrackie
wannabe cycling nerd

Bikes: Giant TCR Comp 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance reinforces american = fat, mentality

I fit perfectly in M3 (European medium) and when I tried on a med @ performance, it was like wearing a tshirt.
Old 02-16-06, 03:11 PM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Pearl Izumi has "Form Fit", "Semi-form Fit", and "Relaxed Fit". The fit is generally listed on the jersey hang tags and web sites for both of these brands.
haven't seen any of form/semi form fits. just the fat boy fit.

i remember the good old days when a PI medium was a medium. h@ll, i remember the days when a pair of medium PI tights were a medium. The few PI stuff i've bought in recent years is small.

they're making almost everything for the Super Size me crowd, one reason why i've lost my jonze for PI.
Old 02-16-06, 03:55 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djtrackie
Performance reinforces american = fat, mentality

I fit perfectly in M3 (European medium) and when I tried on a med @ performance, it was like wearing a tshirt.
I don't think American brands are sized differently solely because we're supposedly fatter than the rest of the world. For quite a few years, clothing fashions in the U.S. mainstream have been loose-fitting for the most part. Everyone shopped for baggy pants, baggy sweatshirts, etc., so domestic retailers have sold what the people want---roomy clothes. PI and Performance aren't exempt from this just because they sell cycling gear. They know darn well that the vast majority of sales are not to racers, but to regular Joe's who are used to looser-fitting clothes.

In Europe, on the other hand, people have worn more form-fitting fashions. Not because they all have the physiques of Greek gods/goddesses, but because it's been the style. Speedo-type "bathing suits" are a great example. Very popular in Europe, even on the chubbies. Not so much in the U.S., even on totally gnarly bods.

Fashions in the U.S. have been getting slimmer, though, hence the move back to providing "racer fits" by PI, Performance, etc.

As for those on Bike Forums with the elitist attitude that fat Americans are ruining cycling for everyone, I'm not sure what my opinion is on that.

Old 02-16-06, 04:14 PM
rfctx

Bikes: Motobecane, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, LeMond, Merlin Cyrene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peek the Geek
I agree that Performance jerseys fit bigger, like PI.
Ditto .. They also have sizes that fit big folk like me (50 chest), which PI and so many others do not have.
Old 02-16-06, 04:51 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that their sizes run large, at least shirts. I wear a Med short, bought according to their sizing chart, and I recently purchased 2 shirts and got Lg, like my Nike jerseys, and they are as loose through the body as tees. Trying to decide if I should keep them or return them for Med.
Old 02-16-06, 05:15 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Peek the Geek
Fashions in the U.S. have been getting slimmer, though, hence the move back to providing "racer fits" by PI, Performance, etc.
Can you give examples of race fit jerseys from Performance? Last time I was in their store, none of the house brand stuff was race fit.
Old 02-16-06, 07:40 PM
Racaryu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most clothing manufacturers, thanks to the fact that 2/3 of Americans are overweight and 1/3 of Americans are obese (dear lord!), have changed their sizings in recent years to preserve the self-esteem of 2/3 of their customers. However, people like myself and probably the majority of the people that post on this forum are stuck wearing sizes Small and even Extra-Small which are hard to find. Think of this: if 2/3 of consumers wear a size Large t-shirt, then the manufacturer will produce a lot more size Large than size Small so that the smalls don't go to waste because people are too overweight to buy them.

However, in the light of all of this, I think that the majority of cycling wear manufacturers do not follow these trends because their customers are physically active and tend to not follow the trends of obesity.

It's all purely a matter of balancing calories in with calories out, that's as basic as it gets.
Old 02-16-06, 08:36 PM
03FinestAL
I'm Melting.....

Bikes: Like everyone else, this changes from time to time.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Can you give examples of race fit jerseys from Performance? Last time I was in their store, none of the house brand stuff was race fit.
I have found that the sleeveless jerseys are more form fitting (snug close to body- like my Primal Wear SS Jerseys) than the standard short or long sleeve jerseys (which are loose fitting).
Old 02-16-06, 10:03 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 03FinestAL
I have found that the sleeveless jerseys are more form fitting (snug close to body- like my Primal Wear SS Jerseys) than the standard short or long sleeve jerseys (which are loose fitting).
Primal calls their jerseys "relaxed fit". Race fit is more contoured around the shoulders and waist.