Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Siezed shifter cable head in DT shifters

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-22, 01:07 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts

Doh, my Mavic shifters have a stuck cable. After penatrants fail, any tricks before I break out the drill?
Old 05-23-22, 01:28 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Downtube shifters, presumably.

If the cable is intact---i.e., if the cable's end isn't broken such that it is flush with the top of the shift lever hole - that should be an easy fix. Clamp the exposed cable (at a point about 5 mm or less beyond the surface of the shift lever) with a ViceGrip that's at a right angle to the cable. You can then tap on the side of the head of the ViceGrip with a small hammer to drive the cable deeper into the lever, which should free the cable end.

If the cable end is flush with the top of the shift lever hole, use something of suitable diameter - e.g., a spoke, preferable cut short - as a miniature drift pin to drive the cable into the lever as described above. Might work best to grab the spoke with a ViceGrip, etc. If the spoke isn't the right diameter, maybe trimming a chopstick to fit might work. Don't get it stuck in the lever, though.
Old 05-23-22, 01:45 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 452 Posts
Chill Out

Toss them in the freezer overnight. The lead cable head will contract more then the hole housing it. Twist the cable in the direction of its twist, and push. Should pop right out.

(Among my favorite buys are (broken) Brifters with stuck cables where the PO used the slightly larger cable head of a different brand without filing it first, and jammed it in.)