Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rocket 7 versus D2 Shoes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rocket 7 versus D2 Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 11:24 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rocket 7 versus D2 Shoes

Anyone who's ever actually worn either speak up. I've heard the Rocket 7 durability is lacking, plus they are really pricey with the custom footbed. I'm a little leery of giving up my Specialized since they are the first shoe to solve my hot spot issue but the heel area is too tight.
Old 08-18-08, 11:38 AM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Bikes: Light.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rocket 7's are extremely light, but the durability of the upper and sole material is lacking.

I would go for D2, TAS or Simmons.

Lake and Bont have excellent stock size shoes that are heat moldable.
Old 08-18-08, 11:51 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
I'm on my second pair of Rocket 7's. They are not very durable, compared to off the shelf shoes. However, they are extremly light, and the first pair was extremely comfortable.

My first pair, wore through the sole where the cleat mounts. It's a known problem mounting speedplays directly on the CF sole. Now they add a thin stainless steel plate which is supposed to address the problem.

The heel pads also come off rather easily, and then you'll wear through the carbon unless you replace the pad immediately.

The "leather" on the upper is also rather thin, and can wear through. (I ground through one side of one in a crash). Although, while the uppers looked like hell after 4 seasons, they would still be functional had the sole not failed.

In spite of the durability issues, I bought the second pair because they are very comfortable. Unfortunat ely, the second pair doesn't fit me quite as well. Supposedly it was made to the same size as the first. However, I think Rocket7 has changed their process a bit. I believe the first pair were truely "custom" and the last was made to my foot, whereas the current shoe is made from one of a number of standard lasts.

Interstingly, the first shoes said "custom" on the shoes, the new ones don't. The Rocket7 website is less than clear whether they've changed their process, or just changed how they describe what you're getting

I sent them back to see if they can make the new ones fit a bit snugger. How well that works out is going to determine whether I'd consider them again or reccomend them again.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-18-08, 12:01 PM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the D2 ordering process and haven't yet received my shoes. 2 to 3 weeks from now I'll be able to provide something resembling a report.

So far, it's gone well. The ordering process was easy. The fit kit was a little nervous, as you don't get a 2nd chance at the mold. However, it went really well. They called promptly and returned calls when I left messages. So far so good. More to come after the shoes arrive....

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 08-18-08, 12:04 PM
Dubbayoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting they felt loose. My ankles tend to swell up (moreso the less I ride) and I was a bit worried about shoes fitting too tight on the occasion that they do.
Old 08-18-08, 12:15 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

The "stock " Rocket 7's come in Half sizes from 30-53, and widths from AA-EEE. Rocket 7 says that virtually everyone will fit in one those couple of hundred choices.

Somehow however, the first pair that are supposedly 46E's fits like a glove, but the second pair is sloppy to the point my foot moves around.

My theory is that the lasts of the first shoes were made exactly to the foot cast impression, whereas the new shoes are made on a stock last, and the foot cast impression is now only used to do the custom footbed.

I could be wrong, but the website's description of the shoes has definitely changed in the intervening 4 years, and the new ones don't fit like the old ones.
Old 08-18-08, 12:54 PM
Dubbayoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Merlin, what you say seems to jive with this review from 2004 on cyclingnews.com. He's reviewing a Super Stock shoe that apparently included a foot mold yet sold for $399. The current stock shoe is $489 plus another $269 for a custom footbed. That's $170 more than a custom D2. I would bet they did not use a mold for your second pair either.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...t7_super_stock

I have wide heels but a fairly normal width toe so I don't think a standard shoe would fit me.
Old 08-18-08, 01:00 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

With D2, I think the custom "Best Fit" option is analogous to what your getting with Rocket7. To get true custom, its another $300.
https://www.d2shoe.com/index.php?opti...d=31&Itemid=51
Old 08-18-08, 02:19 PM
0_o
ugg

Bikes: Steelman road & a plastic Pedal Force ZX3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think maybe your best bet is to give both of the two companies a buzz ... just pick up the phone and call them up. Asked them how they make their shoes so you can get your own Idea on which shoe company you should go with... I'm sure both companies make excellent shoes.
I have D2’s, but since I have never worn a pair of Rocket 7 shoes I am not going to tell you which is better than the other...
My D2's fit my feet like a glove and are extremely comfy … Turn around time on an ordering will vary from customer to customer.. I guess kind of like buying a custom frame from someone if there are several orders a head of you it may take a month or more to see your shoes get shipped out to ya . My experience with D2 was really great and would buy another pair of shoes from them if I had needed a new pair shoes.
Old 08-18-08, 02:23 PM
Dubbayoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 0_o
I think maybe your best bet is to give both of the two companies a buzz ... just pick up the phone and call them up. Asked them how they make their shoes so you can get your own Idea on which shoe company you should go with... I'm sure both companies make excellent shoes.
I have D2’s, but since I have never worn a pair of Rocket 7 shoes I am not going to tell you which is better than the other...
My D2's fit my feet like a glove and are extremely comfy … Turn around time on an ordering will vary from customer to customer.. I guess kind of like buying a custom frame from someone if there are several orders a head of you it may take a month or more to see your shoes get shipped out to ya . My experience with D2 was really great and would buy another pair of shoes from them if I had needed a new pair shoes.
useless without pics.
Old 08-18-08, 02:38 PM
0_o
ugg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
useless without pics.
hahaha ok . I'll have to bust out my PCS and take some shots of my shoe for proof... it's crappy cam but hope fully it'll work for ya. I'll post them once I get the shots ...

but you really should call both companies.

here's a Pez link https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/defaul...lstory&id=3893
Old 08-18-08, 03:13 PM
0_o
ugg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
useless without pics.
ok here ya go... crappy cell phone shots of my beat down D2 shoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0818081331.jpg (25.4 KB, 89 views)
0818081332.jpg (55.2 KB, 55 views)
0818081332a.jpg (81.2 KB, 56 views)
0818081332b.jpg (41.3 KB, 36 views)
0818081333.jpg (45.3 KB, 45 views)
0818081334.jpg (50.1 KB, 89 views)
0818081335.jpg (43.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 08-18-08, 03:24 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
do sidi's really not fit you guys? i guess i can understand paying that much for shoes that look like that if you had no other choice, but the top production shoes from the "big" guys (sidi, specialized, dmt, etc.) just seem so much more refined and developed.
Old 08-18-08, 03:42 PM
Dubbayoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Surferbruce
do sidi's really not fit you guys? i guess i can understand paying that much for shoes that look like that if you had no other choice, but the top production shoes from the "big" guys (sidi, specialized, dmt, etc.) just seem so much more refined and developed.
contrary to popular belief Sidi is not always the answer. I have big ankles. Sometimes I can barely close the upper strap on a regular shoe and my toes can play soccer with each other in a pair of wide shoes. I have worn Sidi, Nike, Carnac, Avia, Lake and Specialized over the years. I also happen to think some D2's look pretty snazzy; not a big fan of Rocket 7's except the track model.

Where did you get the rubber doodads for the SPD cleats?
Old 08-18-08, 03:59 PM
0_o
ugg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
contrary to popular belief Sidi is not always the answer. I have big ankles. Sometimes I can barely close the upper strap on a regular shoe and my toes can play soccer with each other in a pair of wide shoes. I have worn Sidi, Nike, Carnac, Avia, Lake and Specialized over the years. I also happen to think some D2's look pretty snazzy; not a big fan of Rocket 7's except the track model.

was that question for me ?

Those are CrankBrothers Quattro 3-hole cleats ... I have a pair of Quattros on both of my bikes...
Old 08-18-08, 04:18 PM
LAWMAN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an old pair of Lamson custom road shoes--Lamson is 1 of the Ds of D2. I have extremely narrow heels, & these are the 1st cycling shoes that really fit me; it's no fun to be cranking up a steep hill & have your heels pop out of the shoes. they are very comfortable, plenty stiff, & have held up well. but would I wear off-the-shelf shoes if I could? you bet!
Old 08-18-08, 04:35 PM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, none of those shoes fit even close to correctly. Made even worse because my feet are a full euro size apart. Of all the different brands I've tried on (and that's a LOT), the closest are Sidi. And those are a poor fit. I use them currently, but as soon as the D2's arrive and I'm happy with the fit, the Sidi's are going on eBay (only about 1000 miles on them right now).

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 08-18-08, 04:37 PM
Dubbayoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=0_o;7297224]was that question for me ?
yes

Originally Posted by LAWMAN
I have an old pair of Lamson custom road shoes--Lamson is 1 of the Ds of D2. I have extremely narrow heels, & these are the 1st cycling shoes that really fit me; it's no fun to be cranking up a steep hill & have your heels pop out of the shoes. they are very comfortable, plenty stiff, & have held up well. but would I wear off-the-shelf shoes if I could? you bet!
I remember the purple Lamsons Oliver Starr used to wear back in the 90s.
Old 08-18-08, 04:44 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoelS
No, none of those shoes fit even close to correctly. Made even worse because my feet are a full euro size apart. Of all the different brands I've tried on (and that's a LOT), the closest are Sidi. And those are a poor fit. I use them currently, but as soon as the D2's arrive and I'm happy with the fit, the Sidi's are going on eBay (only about 1000 miles on them right now).
i see. makes sense then i guess. i have a very low volume narrow foot, so ratchet buckles are a godsend. i've never been able to get velcro only strapped shoes to get snug enough.
Old 08-18-08, 04:46 PM
HillMut
peloton surfing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for d2's. I have been very happy with mine.
Old 08-18-08, 04:49 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
When I was running standard SPDs, I found a cleat with rubber "wings" on the sides that made it easier to walk. I think they came with the one-sided SPD pedals I was using and they were separate from the cleats in case the buyer is using mtb shoes (which I was).
Old 08-18-08, 06:41 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

I have a wide foot which limits options. There are a few off the rack shoes that do fit me ok. The big reason I got Rocket 7's is the custom footbeds molded to your foot. I was having plantar fasiciatis before I got them and it solved that issue.

Also they are great with Speedplay pedals. No adapter necessary. Combining that with the carbon sole and there is virtually no stackheight, and the whole system is just about as light as it is possible to get.

Some of that "refinement" such as fancy buckles just adds weight and complexity, and does no better job closing the shoe.

Finally,have you looked at the price of the top of the line Sidi's? It's not far below Rocket 7's or D2.

Admittedly, it's an extravagence. However, what better bike equipment to spend money on than the points where you make contact with bike, and directly affect your comfort?
Old 08-18-08, 07:02 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I have a wide foot which limits options. There are a few off the rack shoes that do fit me ok. The big reason I got Rocket 7's is the custom footbeds molded to your foot. I was having plantar fasiciatis before I got them and it solved that issue.

Also they are great with Speedplay pedals. No adapter necessary. Combining that with the carbon sole and there is virtually no stackheight, and the whole system is just about as light as it is possible to get.

Some of that "refinement" such as fancy buckles just adds weight and complexity, and does no better job closing the shoe.

Finally,have you looked at the price of the top of the line Sidi's? It's not far below Rocket 7's or D2.

Admittedly, it's an extravagence. However, what better bike equipment to spend money on than the points where you make contact with bike, and directly affect your comfort?
You also need to factor in the cost of a custom insert to the cost of the Sidi....That is included with the D2 and I assume the Rocket7...

I myself have a new pair of Sidi Ergo2's and I'm still having some foot problems. My problem is the opposite of Dubbayoo. I have slender ankles, a narrow heel and low volume arch and foot. My forefoot is probably average in width. Sidi shoes are the only ones that come close to fitting my feet. Every brand I have tried fit way to huge and my feet are slipping around. Even if I can get them to close around my ankle properly then I run into issues with the shoe biting into my ankle bones.

I have an appointment on Friday with a pedorothist to have a look at my feet and the shoes. I have to figure out if the Sidi last is causing my problems. If so, I'll probably be looking at some D2's as well. I'll then have to ebay my barely used Sidi's...

I'm sorry, but my comfort on the bike is worth a lot to me so if that means spending money....so be it!
Old 08-18-08, 07:39 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
definitely not bashing em, if you need em i'm sure they're well worth it. the d2's do look look light and streamlined.
Old 08-18-08, 08:34 PM
Dick Rhee
Shoebomber

Bikes: 2008 Canyon CF Pro w/ Chorus, 2005 Moots Vamoots w/ Ultegra, 1988 Cannondale commuter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have had the Rocket7's for over a year now. I can't really comment on the durability as much as Merlin could, but they are holding up rather well so far, but I am very careful with my shoes.

The fit is great (which for me is a godsend), the shoes are stupid light and the ventilation is superb.

I saw that Bont's were mentioned, I would hold off on them for a little while as it seems they are still perfecting the process. I have heard that the ratcheting strap has had issues of stretching out, and that the ventilation is nearly nonexistant. Too bad though because those are some slick shoes.

P.S. and regarding Sidis - absolutely a horrible fit for me. My girlfriend has the Genius 5 and loves them, but my feet and those shoes are totally incompatible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.