Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Modest upgrade (compact crank, compact bar) report - huge improvements

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-08, 10:44 PM
MSC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I took my first brief ride yesterday after debating and finally pursuing this summer's upgrades, along with having my bike (Litespeed Firenze 2004) fully overhauled. What a huge difference these "little" things can make in the quality of a ride.

The changes:

1) Compact crank: 9-speed Ultegra 53/39 replaced with 50/34 Ultegra compact.
2) 12-25 105 9 cassette --> 12-27 Ultegra 9
3) 105 9 speed chain --> Dura-Ace 9 speed chain
4) ITM 42" oversize ergo bar --> FSA 44" Omega Compact
5) Felt ST-22 stem --> FSA OS-150

I love the new compact crank and 12-27 cassette. The extra low-end gears were great on the hills, and I found myself using both front rings, rather than sticking in the small ring as I tended to do with the 39/53 in all but a handful of cases (i.e., flat to downhill extended straights). I don't race, so the slight high-end gear loss really shouldn't affect things, and I found myself spending far more time in the "middle" of the cassette with the larger spread on the crank. For those of you who are recreational riders and are debating (as I did earlier this summer) the merits of going compact vs. swapping in a new cassette, I would highly recommend doing both.

While I love the new drivetrain, the new bar/stem combo is even better. Sometimes, the little things really do make a difference. I'm right on the cusp of 42 vs 44 width bars based on my body build, but I really noticed and preferred the wider spread of the FSA. I was more comfortable, felt steadier, and found this to be all around an improvement in my ride position. More importantly, the shallow drop bar was exactly what I've been missing all these years in terms of hand position. I NEVER (maybe 5% of the time) rode in the drops with my old bar, because I always found myself too stretched out and uncomfortable. With the compact bar, I was immediately reaching for the drops and actually preferring it on the straight flats. In the end, on a 25 mile ride, I probably went 40% drops, 50% hoods, and the remainder on the tops (glad I didn't spring for the extra money on the Wing Pro compact, given this last point!). Add to that the fact that FSA bar is a great value, and this is $34 I should have spent long ago. The stem's really purely an aesthetics improvement, but I'm pleased nonetheless and the price ($27) was right.

And, of course (most importantly!), the bike even looks better now and is a just a tad lighter (pics attached).

Anyway, thanks to all those who offered comments here earlier this summer as I debated upgrades and specific options. Much appreciated. And if you ever find yourself in the Madison area, Atkins in Verona offers friendly and top-notch service.

MSC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3759.jpg (98.5 KB, 516 views)
IMG_3762.jpg (93.7 KB, 26 views)
IMG_3765.jpg (95.4 KB, 22 views)
IMG_3764.jpg (94.3 KB, 33 views)
IMG_3766.jpg (96.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-21-08, 10:57 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nicely done, and your bike looks sharp. Great to hear about some upgrades that really add to the riding experience as opposed to simply emptying the wallet.