Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Arkansas man arrested in hit and run of cyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-22, 08:20 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts

https://www.5newsonline.com/article/...7-7e8d5f95fad1
Old 02-22-22, 10:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
Old 02-22-22, 11:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 2,343 Posts
gruesome. they haven't released the "nearby surveillance footage"? don't want to see the actual impact but curious about the circumstances. that dog sh*t's mug shot is pretty telling
Old 02-22-22, 12:30 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I hope they throw the book at him. He dont need to see the light of day for about 30 years.
Old 02-22-22, 02:22 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
"A pedestrian on a bicycle" does that mean they were walking? or does the paper call all bicyclists pedestrians?
And is this a mug shot from a previous arrest last month?

Also - obviously some kind of criminal mastermind.

Police say the force of the impact caused Christopher West to be flung in the back bed of the pickup truck that struck him. According to Fort Smith police, James Ray Jones told investigators he did not know there was a body in his truck until he got home. Police say Jones knew he hit someone, never stopped and never told anyone until officers found him at his parents house, where they found the victim’s body inside his truck.
Old 02-22-22, 03:27 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
They have reached next of kin of Christopher West, 57, of Fort Smith.

FWIW, police often use the term "pedacyclist" in their reports, which is a human on a device with pedals, with one, two, or three wheels.

Reporters often mistranslate that term to "pedestrian on a bicycle."

(This thread will not go well.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-23-22 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-22-22, 04:11 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
What Advocacy or Safety are we supposed to glean from this?

Hopefully transporting the person you just killed (and not to a hospital) will add many more years to his sentence. Assuming he wasn't DUI, and that it wasn't intentional, he probably would've gotten off if he had just waited for the police and said "the sun was in my eyes" (EDIT: I now see it was at 8pm), or "he came out of nowhere".
Old 02-23-22, 10:06 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
, he probably would've gotten off if he had just waited for the police...
I was noticing this same trend. If a driver hits a pedestrian or a cyclist, he has a good chance of being released without charges if he just stayed.

In another thread, it was pointed out to me that the driver was arrested and charged for the run in hit-and-run. The hit was only incidental and he was not charged for the fatality.

Last edited by Daniel4; 02-23-22 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-23-22, 12:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I was noticing this same trend. If a driver hits a pedestrian or a cyclist, he has a good chance of being released without charges if he just stayed.

In another thread, it was pointed out to me that the driver was arrested and charged for the run in hit-and-run. The hit was only incidental and he was not charged for the fatality.

It's almost like the charges are dependent on the facts that actually can be proven, and that the elements that need to be proven for criminally convicting someone for hitting a person are completely different than proving they fled the scene.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-23-22, 02:03 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
What Advocacy or Safety are we supposed to glean from this?

Hopefully transporting the person you just killed (and not to a hospital) will add many more years to his sentence. Assuming he wasn't DUI, and that it wasn't intentional, he probably would've gotten off if he had just waited for the police and said "the sun was in my eyes" (EDIT: I now see it was at 8pm), or "he came out of nowhere".
"He swerved."
Old 02-23-22, 02:19 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Seriously, what is it with low set ears and crooks? If that jerks ears were any lower, they'd be attached to his neck.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 02-23-22, 02:25 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
That's a 35 MPH zone. I can't imagine any body part being severed at that speed in an accident that would launch a body into the bed of the truck. I have a hunch his speed was much greater than that.
Old 02-23-22, 02:48 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's almost like the charges are dependent on the facts that actually can be proven, and that the elements that need to be proven for criminally convicting someone for hitting a person are completely different than proving they fled the scene.
This is the tough part with why I feel a lot of motor vehicle crime in the US gets next to no penalty and then also people just don't care and drive like they don't care.

Tough to prove enough to raise the bar to a level to get convictions that would actually deter bad drivers. I feel they need to get rid of the whole "well I didn't see them, sun, some other BS" as it seems unless you're slap drunk or on audio video doing it on purpose they can't go after you.

Here in NC the Lori Cove case made it further.......not sure how laws differ: felony hit/run and 15-19 years sentence....I think here the priors and dui played into what they could charge.
https://abc11.com/cyclists-hit-cary-...ident/2661518/
Old 02-23-22, 09:20 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
This is the tough part with why I feel a lot of motor vehicle crime in the US gets next to no penalty and then also people just don't care and drive like they don't care.

Tough to prove enough to raise the bar to a level to get convictions that would actually deter bad drivers. I feel they need to get rid of the whole "well I didn't see them, sun, some other BS" as it seems unless you're slap drunk or on audio video doing it on purpose they can't go after you.

Here in NC the Lori Cove case made it further.......not sure how laws differ: felony hit/run and 15-19 years sentence....I think here the priors and dui played into what they could charge.
https://abc11.com/cyclists-hit-cary-...ident/2661518/
I think the thing that bothers me the most about the litany of excuses that are so often thrown out is that all of them actually call for caution, yet the typical response is to charge on.

So yeah... Throw the book at folks that "confess" that they could not see, yet continued with abandon.
Old 02-23-22, 10:25 PM
rybin

Bikes: GT Talera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I think the thing that bothers me the most about the litany of excuses that are so often thrown out is that all of them actually call for caution, yet the typical response is to charge on.

So yeah... Throw the book at folks that "confess" that they could not see, yet continued with abandon.
I agree, but it seems like all the laws on the roads ultimately favor drivers over anyone else and it sucks
Old 02-24-22, 12:01 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts

It is not uncommon for weeks or months to pass before murder or manslaughter charges are filed.

If the cyclist did, in fact, appear out of nowhere (ran a stop sign on a side street), then it is possible no charges will be filed.

But, there could well be extenuating circumstances that would lead to severe charges. For example, if the driver was intoxicated, charges might be upgraded.

That may well be a reason to flee the scene. If the driver has alcohol in the system, then 24+ hours later, and it would be difficult to determine the level of intoxication at the time of the accident (unless they have evidence from a bar). Other drugs have a longer washout period. Still, it may be difficult to ascertain for sure when the drugs were taken and levels at the time of the accident.

In this case, the guy would have been in a bit of a bind. What do you do if you wake up from your bender and find a body in the back of your pickup? Try to take it back and dump it at the scene of the accident? Call the police and try to convince them that it wasn't hit and run because you have the corpse in the pickup? Or simply dispose of the body?

They may have to try to figure out the speed of the accident based on traffic cams, security cams, and accident reconstruction.

Accident reconstruction may also help determine the direction the cyclist was riding. Headlights and Taillights?

All things that may take time and impact whether murder/manslaughter charges will be filed.
Old 02-24-22, 08:03 AM
mr_bill

Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
This thread is of course not going well.

James Ray Jones has been charged with leaving the scene AND manslaughter.

But please, stop speculating, without evidence, on how Christopher West may be culpable in his own killing.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 02-24-22, 08:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mr_bill
This thread is of course not going well.

James Ray Jones has been charged with leaving the scene AND manslaughter.

But please, stop speculating, without evidence, on how Christopher West may be culpable in his own killing.

-mr. bill
Agreed, but that will no doubt be roundly ignored as people want to display their Dunning-Kruger/fundamental attribution error fallacies over the corpse of a fellow cyclist all to reassure themselves that this could never happen to them.

These news story threads really are uniformly awful. They produce tons of heat and absolutely no light.

Honestly, I think the forum would be a lot better if these threads were just banned at this point.
Old 02-24-22, 09:21 AM
Daniel4

Can this thread be saved? It's always the same handful of people posting the same remarks.
Old 02-24-22, 09:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Can this thread be saved? It's always the same handful of people posting the same remarks.

He says, posting the exact same remark he posts in pretty much all threads.

No, these threads ARE people posting the same thing over and over, and these threads kill the forum. This thread is no different and should not be "saved".
Old 02-24-22, 09:44 AM
Daniel4

He says, posting the exact same remark he posts in pretty much all threads.

No, these threads ARE people posting the same thing over and over, and these threads kill the forum. This thread is no different and should not be "saved".
That's right. I'm one of those people you complain about in your original thread. And you are, too.

But I take it that you don't like references to your original thread.

For a person who wants this thread closed, you're keeping it alive.

Last edited by Daniel4; 02-24-22 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-24-22, 11:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That's right. I'm one of those people you complain about in your original thread. And you are, too.

But I take it that you don't like references to your original thread.

For a person who wants this thread closed, you're keeping it alive.
Look, this "you're keeping it alive" tactic is blatant trolling on your part, and I'm not engaging with it further. I find the picking apart of stories to find some reason the victim was at fault to be morally objectionable, and will continue to state that in these threads as they appear. If you complain about me doing so, I am likely to respond to that. Tough noogies.

My "original thread" as you put it was primarily about why this exact type of thread was so effective at killing the forum. So "can this thread be saved" as some sort of "gotcha" counter at me makes no sense if you think you're referring to that thread. I've gotten rather tired of pointing that out to you, but find it very funny that you complain about repetition in the very same post you repeat that same lame whatever it's supposed to be again and again and again.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-24-22, 12:14 PM
Daniel4

Look, this "you're keeping it alive" tactic is blatant trolling on your part, and I'm not engaging with it further. I find the picking apart of stories to find some reason the victim was at fault to be morally objectionable, and will continue to state that in these threads as they appear. If you complain about me doing so, I am likely to respond to that. Tough noogies.

My "original thread" as you put it was primarily about why this exact type of thread was so effective at killing the forum. So "can this thread be saved" as some sort of "gotcha" counter at me makes no sense if you think you're referring to that thread. I've gotten rather tired of pointing that out to you, but find it very funny that you complain about repetition in the very same post you repeat that same lame whatever it's supposed to be again and again and again.
You're the one who wanted this this thread banned and you keep responding to me.

So I have some suggestions that should bring some peace:
1) wave your magic wand and make road fatalities disappear so that the A&S section will no longer have a reason to exist; or
2) ask the moderator to ban the threads you don't like; or
3) become a moderator so you can do your own censoring; or
4) just use the ignore feature that's available to everybody so the rest of the members who do want to contribute to these discussions can.

But I have a feeling you're going to reject all these suggestions and continue to whine about threads or posts you don't like.

Last edited by Daniel4; 02-24-22 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-24-22, 01:22 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
While I haven't seen anything yet on the exact location in the mentioned area between 14th-16th it would be worth noting that the general area https://www.google.com/maps/search/g.../data=!3m1!1e3 is clearly a bad place for anything but driving. Walking might work if the traffic lights are being honored.

Cycling hits that bad dilemma between taking the right lane (which in a sane environment really should work, though on street reality can often be otherwise) vs. riding the sidewalk and being in the wrong place at every intersection.

Plus there's a middle school, and the disconnected remains of 15th street which once used to go through, but now ends with bollards before sidewalk yet continues with a mid-block ramp down to the curb - only legitimate purpose I can see for that remaining is that it's a potential infrequent maintenance access that needs to stay pedestrian and wheelchair penetrable as an emergency evacuation route.

Plus after dark, infrequent streetlights, and a Friday of all things.

Last edited by UniChris; 02-24-22 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-24-22, 01:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You're the one who wanted this this thread banned and you keep responding to me.

So I have some suggestions that should bring some peace:
1) wave your magic wand and make road fatalities disappear so that the A&S section will no longer have a reason to exist; or
2) ask the moderator to ban the threads you don't like; or
3) become a moderator so you can do your own censoring; or
4) just use the ignore feature that's available to everybody so the rest of the members who do want to contribute to these discussions can.

But I have a feeling you're going to reject all these suggestions and continue to whine about threads or posts you don't like.
Or you could just resign yourself to the fact that if people post stuff other people dislike, the people who dislike it are free to post why they don't like it.

I reject #1 as having any validity because I think one of the things that's happening here on a regular basis is this forum being used to bash dead cyclists, and that's getting teed up by people like yourself posting these news stories with the best of intentions. TBH, from reading your "advice" in a few threads, I don't think you're actually knowledgeable on the subject of cycling safety, so I see no reason to take your judgment on how posts relate to safety issues seriously. I think the general tone and content of these threads is actually harmful to the interests of cyclists, I am going to continue saying that.

As far as 2 and 3 go, yeah and you could do the same things.

And as for 4, no, I actually think these threads are harmful discourse and saying so is my contribution to the discussion. I don't care if you like it. You can use the ignore function just as much as I can. Quit being such a hypocrite on this.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.