Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

EAI Godzilla - need help building

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-22, 03:26 PM
jmanooch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi I have an EIA Godzilla frame and want to build a kind of track-bike setup for city use. I actually had this bike, let to me by a friend, and it got stolen so am sort of rebuilding on that basis.

Frameset is 22" (56 cm EAI Godzilla) and want to source:

2 Shimano Track Groupset

3 Keirin pedals

3 Suitable carbon rims

4 Chris King headset

Does anyone have any thoughts on that? Am in SF right now, but poss can source in NYC. Thanks for tips!

Please put this in the correct forum if it's wrong here! Thanks.

JM
Likes For jmanooch:
Old 04-02-22, 04:20 PM
geomiko

Bikes: Surly Steamroller 48/17 | Aventon Cordoba 48/15 | Cramerotti TVT Ultra 48/13 | 2016 State Bicycle Co. Black Label

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 40 Posts
Sounds like it'll be a sweet build. I know there's a large fixed gear community in San Francisco as well as New York, so I'd try your local shops. They probably have a lot of the things you're looking for.
Old 04-03-22, 02:01 AM
Bianchi pc
Quixote

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Concept 05, Level 2014

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts
Solid frameset choice.

to me njs pedals https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product
seem like a different direction than carbon rims but it's your bike.

I have speed-play pedals and Mavic ellipse wheels(which have been bomb proof for me on pot holed city streets)on both my bikes.

Personally If I was riding in SF where the hills are formidable I would run bullhorn handlebars or bars with brake hoods to improve the climbing leverage.

Best of luck
Old 04-03-22, 09:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I don't see the need for carbon wheels for a city build and I don't want Keirin pedals for anything but track usage. I want a pedal I can easily get in and out of but still holds my foot well. For me that is SPD style pedals but any clipless MTB style pedal would work.

In terms of Dura Ace Track, it is fine stuff but I really love my Sugino 75 Direct Drive. These days I think external 24mm BBs might be a bit easier to source more widely then square taper stuff and certainly Octalink (more like Octastink) and while you don't have to go that expensive it is quality stuff and really nice looking. However I do like the look of the Dura Ace stuff and it is not bad quality.

Everything else is fine though unless you are riding purely on the track I would have some brakes especially on hilly terrain and for city usage.
Old 04-04-22, 04:44 PM
Bianchi pc
Quixote

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I don't see the need for carbon wheels for a city build and I don't want Keirin pedals for anything but track usage. I want a pedal I can easily get in and out of but still holds my foot well. For me that is SPD style pedals but any clipless MTB style pedal would work.

In terms of Dura Ace Track, it is fine stuff but I really love my Sugino 75 Direct Drive. These days I think external 24mm BBs might be a bit easier to source more widely then square taper stuff and certainly Octalink (more like Octastink) and while you don't have to go that expensive it is quality stuff and really nice looking. However I do like the look of the Dura Ace stuff and it is not bad quality.

Everything else is fine though unless you are riding purely on the track I would have some brakes especially on hilly terrain and for city usage.

I have been running the same standard Sugino 75 cranks On my Pista Concept for about 15 years now - they work great but I'm willing to believe the direct drive are a step up - haven't tried em.

My used Level Keirin frameset came with a headset and a Dura Ace Octalink bottom bracket - And then 'NJS Export' (who I purchased the frame from) put some used 7710 cranks up for a good price so I got them. So far they seem to work great - they are buttery smoothe and the biggest difference I feel between them and my Sugino 75s is the slightly narrower stance width....

but yeah - I've only been riding the 'new to me' cranks for about a month & I'm not a mechanic and don't have enough experience to compare and contrast -- Is there something I should watch out for or be aware of?
Old 04-04-22, 04:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi pc
I have been running the same standard Sugino 75 cranks On my Pista Concept for about 15 years now - they work great but I'm willing to believe the direct drive are a step up - haven't tried em.

My used Level Keirin frameset came with a headset and a Dura Ace Octalink bottom bracket - And then 'NJS Export' (who I purchased the frame from) put some used 7710 cranks up for a good price so I got them. So far they seem to work great - they are buttery smoothe and the biggest difference I feel between them and my Sugino 75s is the slightly narrower stance width....

but yeah - I've only been riding the 'new to me' cranks for about a month & I'm not a mechanic and don't have enough experience to compare and contrast -- Is there something I should watch out for or be aware of?
Not really anything to worry about it is just harder to find those bottom brackets these days. Not impossible but I am more likely to find a 24mm external bottom bracket more places these days and a lot of different levels of quality. With some of that stuff you are stuck with one or two bottom brackets maybe a few more with square taper 75s but still not a ton these days.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-04-22, 05:06 PM
Bianchi pc
Quixote

Ok cool.

thank you:-)
Likes For Bianchi pc: