Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cabot Trail for Beginners

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 07:34 PM
ab_bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, I'm a new member here and hoping to get some advise. I will be in Cape Breton for few months this summer and I'm thinking of doing the Cabot Trail. I'm planning to use an e-bike (this one specifically: wolffebikes.com/en-ca/product/europa/) and practice around Cape Breton before doing the actual trail. My plan is to do ave of 50km per day (depending on the distances of available accommodation). This is my first time doing bike tour and I am trying to gauge if Cabot Trail is doable for beginners and whether this e-bike is suitable. Thank you!
Old 04-16-24, 02:14 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 445 Posts
I did the Cabot trail last September on a loaded touring bike. You won't have any problems on an e-bike. It's not that difficult, only four climbs, two big two small. Put on an audiobook and you'll be over the top in no time.

Don't miss the Celtic music interpretation centre where you can have lunch to live music. The Celtic Shores coastal trail was very nice to ride.
Old 04-16-24, 04:55 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
what does the actual tour company say? They would be the ones to ask about range and accommodation availability etc.

I imagine most here cannot give you more specific advice other than asking if you have ever done a bike trip riding on the road before.
Be aware that in the typical summer vacation period, there will of course be increased road traffic.
Old 04-16-24, 06:11 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
Figure out first where you would charge the battery. I know nothing about e-bikes, I was not plugging into mains for anything.

When I was there in June 2019, I stayed at two National Park campgrounds, if I recall correctly they had a special on an annual pass price that came with discounts on campsite fees and I only had to stay there a couple times to make that annual pass cost effective.

It is my recollection that they charged more for sites with power than for tent sites without power. I also stayed at a small HI Hostel, but I do not know if the hostel system still has a hostel there after covid.

This was the worst hill I had to climb with a 13 percent grade.

It can be quite windy there, and wet. And parts of Cabot Trail are a food desert.

My GPS data from my trip is on a different computer, so I can't elaborate more on specifics of my trip. Here is a map of my trip, but as you can see my map covers more than just Cabot Trail.

If you have a reason to ride across the causeway on a bike, I waited until I could not see any traffic at all behind me before I rode across, that way I did not have a big long line of angry drivers behind me when I got across. But I suspect you would not be riding a bike across it.