Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Should I use pedal extenders?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-20, 08:40 AM
RVH
Bob in the mountains

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9 (2004 model bought used)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

A buddy just got a Specialized Roubaix Comp and was fitted by a professional. The pro put on pedal extenders and my buddy swears it's more comfortable for him. I'm 6'3" and 36" waist, much bigger than him. My thought is that if they were recommended for him and he's smaller than me then maybe I should have them too.

How do I know?
Old 06-09-20, 08:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
If they were great for everyone, don't you think every bike would already have them? Size of person doesn't matter. It's how different an individuals joints and bone structure differs from the norm, along with some other factors.

Are you having issues?

Perhaps the same person he used should be asked to fit you to your bike.
Old 06-09-20, 09:24 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Your question should be answered in the context of a real overall fit if you can go that route.

I use pedal extenders and they made an immense difference for me. I wear size 13EEEE and my feet were halfway off the (platform) pedals without them. A wider pedal would have been a choice too but I didn't go that route. Anyway, I moved my extenders to my new bike since then. A couple weeks ago I tried to ride the old bike, without extenders, and there's just no way.
Old 06-13-20, 11:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A 'duck foot' angled placement on the pedal is one justification..
Old 06-13-20, 12:31 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by RVH
A buddy just got a Specialized Roubaix Comp and was fitted by a professional. The pro put on pedal extenders and my buddy swears it's more comfortable for him. I'm 6'3" and 36" waist, much bigger than him. My thought is that if they were recommended for him and he's smaller than me then maybe I should have them too.

How do I know?
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...ference-187403

Optimal Q factor (stance width) isn't necessarily correlated with body size.

I like a wide Q factor, and I think it's because I'm slightly knock-kneed and duck-footed.