Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

MM110 bottom bracket broken plastic lock ring

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-21, 09:29 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts

yep...sheared it right off. it literally crumbled, but it is probably 20 years old or more. the bearings are great..very smooth, and it'd be a shame not to be able to use it as i'd intended. i got it from a donor raleigh mtb that looks hardly used at all. i'd planned to use this BB on my triple cross since it seems to have a relatively low profile for a triple. are the lock rings available separately anywhere? anyone have one to sell or trade? thanks!!
Old 06-25-21, 09:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Would a common, "classic", steel BB lock ring work? Andy
Old 06-25-21, 09:43 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Would a common, "classic", steel BB lock ring work? Andy
afraid not. otherwise i'd have this solved already. it's a sealed cartridge unit and the non-drive side of the cartridge is smooth. so, the lock ring threads into the shell but "presses" on to the cartridge to retain it
and, i have to correct myself. the bottom bracket is an LP26 (shimano). it says MM110 on the bearing, but LP26 on the cartridge.
anyway, dare i try, but i do have a seized BB on an aluminum mtb frame that's been sitting over 20 yrs. (hate to get rid of the frame. one of those "plan to" projects). if i can even get it out without breaking the lock ring, it might work on this LP26.

edit: i realize now 110 refers to the spindle length...though it measures 111 with my calipers. whatevs...

Last edited by thook; 06-25-21 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-25-21, 10:06 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

i just went out to try remove that alum. mtb BB and the lock ring is metal. fortune!! i got it budge a little, but don't want to strip the tool, so i'm gonna soak the BB for a bit. i just hope the lock ring fits after the trouble of getting it off
Old 06-25-21, 10:17 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
On BB's with a plastic ring, I tighten that ring first and loosen it last. (DS a couple turns shy of tight)
Often, you have to really crank them hard to seat fully.
Give a few years of UV exposure to the plastic and it's junk.

I think another issue is alignment. IF the BB shell isn't faced well on the NDS, it may "cock" the cartridge a bit. That's NOT going to make it easier to install the plastic cup.
Inserting the cartridge "almost" all the way will allow the plastic sleeve to align better.

I've seen metal cups for sale individually, but the cost approached that of a cheap BB. May as well just buy the better BB that comes with the metal cup?
Old 06-25-21, 10:37 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Problem Solvers Up-Cup - Alameda Bicycle
Old 06-25-21, 10:43 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
On BB's with a plastic ring, I tighten that ring first and loosen it last. (DS a couple turns shy of tight)
Often, you have to really crank them hard to seat fully.
Give a few years of UV exposure to the plastic and it's junk.

I think another issue is alignment. IF the BB shell isn't faced well on the NDS, it may "cock" the cartridge a bit. That's NOT going to make it easier to install the plastic cup.
Inserting the cartridge "almost" all the way will allow the plastic sleeve to align better.

I've seen metal cups for sale individually, but the cost approached that of a cheap BB. May as well just buy the better BB that comes with the metal cup?
good tip on installing the lock ring first and removing it last. i'll remember that

to my utter surprise, i got the bottom bracket with metal cup/ring out of the aluminum frame. it'd been in there so long i thought it'd never come out except maybe with my impact wrench....which is down for servicing at the moment. anyway. a half inch drive tool with breaker bar and 3ft cheater bar over that and finally it came loose. and, it's metal. so, problem is solved!! this LP26 will solve the problem i've had with a wide q factor on the dx crank i've had on my triple cross.
Old 06-25-21, 10:45 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by davidad
thanks for the tip. i can see what mr. kapaun is saying. that's as much as a new a bottom bracket.