Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ow, ow-ow-ow, OW!!!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ow, ow-ow-ow, OW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-23, 07:15 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Ow, ow-ow-ow, OW!!!

Ever have a stinging thing get into your shirt while riding? Been a looong time for me but happened again today. Riding at a good clip then something is stinging, wandering, stinging, wandering, down my chest. Ripped the shirt up and shook whatever (never saw it) away, now nursing several painful welts.

Notes to self: bring antihistamines. Epi pen? Perhaps.

That's all. Winter approaches and the flying things will be gone for awhile.
Old 11-12-23, 07:52 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 134 Posts
Do flying things ever go away in California?
Old 11-12-23, 07:54 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Do flying things ever go away in California?
Trick question! :-)

In my part mostly, but on the coast and in SoCal, perhaps not so much.
Old 11-12-23, 07:58 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
I've been stung a few times myself. Not fun when your clipping along at 20 mph. I still see stingers once in a while to this day. Haven't really had a good solid frost yet.
Old 11-12-23, 11:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
I too had a stinging thing fly down my jersey and nail me a couple of times but doubt it flew up from Cali. Had a honey bee in my helmet which was a panic, but my all time fave was getting stung on my lower lip which swelled up to the size of a very large lip thing.

Old 11-12-23, 11:52 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Yes, has happened to me, but had another place just as bad; under the chin strap of my helmet, stung me numerous times before I could stop and remove the offender
Old 11-13-23, 12:53 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
A stinging swarm got on me in 1978. I believe they were hornets. A deputy saw it happening and tried to help me out.
Old 11-13-23, 12:58 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
I once rode through a swarm of bees flying across US 27 in South Florida. Luckily, I’m not allergic to stings. I recently got bit by one of those red back spiders which Australians were kind enough to export to Japan. It had web under a bench at the park, and decided to bite me on the lower leg as I sat on the bench as I was relaxing in the midst of a long ride. The bite was nasty, my ankle and foot swelled up, and walking was a bit painful, but after a week, the swelling and pain are gone, and all I have is a red blotch where it bit me.
Old 11-13-23, 01:14 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Riding the trailway this summer a bee flew into my mouth and stung the inside of my lip before I could spit him out. Not allergic, but it was a bit of shock. I was thinking; did that really just happen?
Old 11-13-23, 06:55 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Sure. Fortunately (1) I noticed right away; (2) I was wearing a full-zip jersey; and (3) the bee/hornet/wasp was confused/disoriented/traumatized rather than aggressive, so I was able to quickly sit up, rip open my zipper and free the little guy before she/he got in any stings.

Otherwise, I've gotten stung twice on rides, once when the poor guy got stuck in my helmet strap just in front of my ear. The second was just this summer, I guess I hit a hornet with my leg, he stuck on and decided to sting my quad just above my knee.

Annoying and a little painful, but nothing dramatic.

A fun one (only tangentially related to the OP): I mistakenly left my helmet outside on the deck to dry overnight. It wasn't too damp the next day, so I put it on and rode off. About a minute later, I felt something on my face, quickly stopped, brushed an earwig off my face, took off my helmet and shook out another 5-6 of the little suckers. Then, enjoyed a full-body shudder of disgust before riding on. It must have been amusing to passers-by to see me screeching to a halt, ripping off my helmet and frantically rubbing at my head and shaking my helmet.

Good times.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 11-13-23, 10:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,571 Times in 7,335 Posts
Yes. A couple of times.

I also got stung in the groin area during a descent. Just missed my man parts by about 2”. Happened at the end of a day of riding during an organized tour. A volunteer game me a baggie of ice to put down my shorts. Talk about shrinkage.
Old 11-13-23, 11:03 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Yes in the jersey are pains till removed and once had a spider that was probably sleeping in jersey and awoke deciding to show its displeasure until I think I crushed. The bee in the ear is also really disrupting
Old 11-13-23, 11:04 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yes. A couple of times.

I also got stung in the groin area during a descent. Just missed my man parts by about 2”.
Never use "man parts" and "2 inch" in the same sentence. Just sayin'.
Old 11-13-23, 11:19 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I ran over a bee nest in the ground with my lawn mower once, and in addition to about 15 stings on the upper body, one got lodged under the tongue of my shoe and hammered me a bunch of times in one spot. So fun. Lucky for me I'm not allergic. Took a heck of a nap after from the adrenaline dump.
Old 11-13-23, 12:12 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I ran over a bee nest in the ground with my lawn mower once, and in addition to about 15 stings on the upper body, one got lodged under the tongue of my shoe and hammered me a bunch of times in one spot. So fun. Lucky for me I'm not allergic. Took a heck of a nap after from the adrenaline dump.
may want to mow more often.
Old 11-13-23, 12:29 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by frdfandc
I've been stung a few times myself. Not fun when your clipping along at 20 mph. I still see stingers once in a while to this day. Haven't really had a good solid frost yet.
Imagine that but at 60mph on a motorcycle. Had the face shield up on the helmet and at that speed, simply hitting the business end of a bee is enough, no effort required on behalf of the bee.
Old 11-13-23, 02:34 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I’ve been nailed by bees or wasps maybe once or twice a year for about as long as I can remember.

I rarely even see the bees offender, so that says to me wasp. When I find a stinger in the ouchy part, there’s confirmation of the bee.

I don’t have problems with them, other than I don’t like to hurt. My wife has had enough reactions, which so far are treatable with diphenhydramine, that she’s started carrying epi.
Old 11-13-23, 03:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Pantah
Imagine that but at 60mph on a motorcycle. Had the face shield up on the helmet and at that speed, simply hitting the business end of a bee is enough, no effort required on behalf of the bee.
I had that happen to me at 35 mph on a bicycle. I don't know what kind of stinging insect it had been, but it hit me in the lip before spattering across my teeth. Tasted bitter.

I did once take a June Bug to the forehead at 60 mph in an MGB. That was startling.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-13-23, 08:55 PM
posse

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
Been stung on multiple occasions and stung multiple times on several occasions. You haven't experienced cycling until you've had the pleasure of stinging creatures seeking refuge in a half zipped jersey on a hot summer day.
Old 11-13-23, 09:21 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Also stung a few times over the years but the worst...IMO...was in a road race. I was in a 6 man break and we were all good riders so it was going to succeed...UNTIL a F...ing stingy thing hit me in the forehead just above the glasses. It proceeded to sting me right between the eyes...thought I was going to die lol. Started swatting at my head and yelling...the other five riders are looking at me like I lost my mind. They dropped me and I pulled out of the race, it hurt so bad. They asked me after the race WTF??? and when they saw my swollen forehead they 'laughed' the rat bastards. That was back in the '90's and I still haven't forgiven or forgotten lol.
Old 11-14-23, 12:26 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
My one and only bee sting ever was when one little butthead flew under my glove. I have no idea how it managed that, but it did and it hurt. My arm swelled up from finger tips to my elbow and the swelling in my wrist was such that any bump in the road was transmitted straight to my wrist bones. Not painful, but an odd sensation for the next day or two. (I was in the middle of a long-distance solo self-supported tour, so just heading for home was not an option.)

I watched one friend have a bee fly down his shirt and sting him on the chest. I watched another friend have a bee hit him on the cheek and hang around long enough to sting. Neither friend particularly enjoyed the experience.
Old 11-14-23, 02:23 PM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
As a driver, I received many stings due to wing vent windows. I don't recall getting stung on a bicycle. Motorcycle, yes.

...yellow jacket venom can demyelinate nerves.

Some other fun facts:

Old 11-14-23, 03:16 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Sure. Fortunately (1) I noticed right away; (2) I was wearing a full-zip jersey; and (3) the bee/hornet/wasp was confused/disoriented/traumatized rather than aggressive, so I was able to quickly sit up, rip open my zipper and free the little guy before she/he got in any stings.

Otherwise, I've gotten stung twice on rides, once when the poor guy got stuck in my helmet strap just in front of my ear. The second was just this summer, I guess I hit a hornet with my leg, he stuck on and decided to sting my quad just above my knee.

Annoying and a little painful, but nothing dramatic.

A fun one (only tangentially related to the OP): I mistakenly left my helmet outside on the deck to dry overnight. It wasn't too damp the next day, so I put it on and rode off. About a minute later, I felt something on my face, quickly stopped, brushed an earwig off my face, took off my helmet and shook out another 5-6 of the little suckers. Then, enjoyed a full-body shudder of disgust before riding on. It must have been amusing to passers-by to see me screeching to a halt, ripping off my helmet and frantically rubbing at my head and shaking my helmet.

Good times.

Just your first hand description gave me a full body shiver.
Old 11-14-23, 04:55 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Got into a yellow jacket nest late summer. They were in a small pile of crushed stone I use for my patio that had a few hay bales on it. Took a bale apart for mulch and my wrist was on fire, like I was slashed. Took a few seconds to realize what was up and ran like hell. They were inside my boots stinging my ankles over and over, so had to take them off before getting inside the house where a dozen of them followed me. Must have been stung 40-50 times. Was ok, but the adrenaline was flowing. Took almost 10 days for the itching to stop. Still creeps me out.
On the bike, I've been stung a few times. Seems it happens when going downhill at speed and we just collide and they decide to hang on. Always wear decent size glasses/goggles.
Old 11-15-23, 08:54 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
my all time fave was getting stung on my lower lip which swelled up to the size of a very large lip thing.
I caught a wasp in my mouth, spat it out and sucked hard on the lip where it had stung me, which presumably removed some of the venom - I didn't get much swelling. I was chastised for uttering an obscenity on a "family friendly" ride.
Likes For grumpus: