Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Flat tire good Samaritan question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Flat tire good Samaritan question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-24, 03:27 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
that’s out of the box thinking… does it actually work?
It can, I've used it a couple of times. Depends a lot on many variables. Finding leaks in pressure systems is vastly easier than vacuum systems in my experience. Pressure leaks usually messy, obvious, potentially hazardous. Vacuum's more an annoyance unless you're doing something like vacuum-bagging component layup where even a small vacuum leak can lead to project failure. This a reasonably priced device intended for finding vacuum leaks. You can spend a LOT more of course! My tube idea's similar in nature to the old mechanics' trick of using a dowel rod to listen to bearings & stuff in operating mode.
Old 01-19-24, 03:33 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
Not a plumber but in this case I'll offer up a suggestion: If you suspect the leak's in a location you can access, try sticking one end of a short length of 1/4" ID vinyl hose lightly into your ear then with the vacuum system pulling a negative pressure use the other end as a 'stethoscope' listening for the sound of sucking as it passes over/nearby the leak.

And a big 'YES IT CAN" to the admonition not to pressurize PVC DWV pipe over 5 PSI.
Yes PVC Will hold more than 5 psi and not come apart. Probably more than 50% of the time. But when it does come apart it throws sharp shards of plastic to penetrate completely through a 2x4 I have seen this numerous times. I know it it is in the specs because I looked it up for a customer that was running air in schedule 80 PVC. It's in their specs because it has happened enough that their liability lawyers had it put in their paperwork. That was told to me by a company rep for Charlotte pipe. There's enough chance of pipe failure with air pressure to cause serious injuries that it is stupid to take the chance.
For the record I personally saw a 9 inch shard of plastic go through a 2x4 with approximately 4 inches sticking out of back of the board this was 3 inch pipe and it came apart at just under 50 psi. I've seen it come apart several times

Last edited by plumberroy; 01-19-24 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-19-24, 06:28 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
Finding leaks in pressure systems is vastly easier than vacuum systems in my experience.
It’s easy with snoop or a helium leak checker imo, but yeah harder than pressure for sure. Vacuum sucks
Old 01-22-24, 06:59 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 525 Posts
Yes, I have often stopped to help both here in Cambodia and in the States
Old 01-22-24, 08:59 AM
fsdogwood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked the gentleman, was told to "pay it forward"
Old 01-23-24, 03:35 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Not much to relate. Handed out a tube once. Helped a lady put a dropped chain back on once (it was a derailleur equipped bike, so it took like 15 seconds). I've asked people if they needed anything scores of times, nearly all have been OK. On the flip side, have had someone give me a tube once (early in my riding career I ripped the valve out using a new/unfamiliar pump).

The people I've chosen not to help (because it would take too much time, and might not be appreciated): those with geared bikes pushing their bike up a hill. It amazes me how many people find the concept of shifting gears too difficult or too scary.
Old 01-23-24, 04:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,568 Times in 7,334 Posts
I have a Miele vacuum. It sucks the best.
Old 01-23-24, 11:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Too many times to count I have wanted to shout, ‘oil your chain’ or ‘you need a lower gear’. But I hold my tongue. Schooling others on how to ride or maintain a bike is not exactly a Good Samaritan thing to do.

Old 01-28-24, 07:38 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
I've given away 8-10 tubes, and helped install about half of them. ("Can I pay you for this?" Nope! Pay it forward. Have a safe ride.")

The only time I've regretted it was one skeevy guy in Oceanside, CA when I was pretty exhausted. Fixed his flat, had to dumpster-dive for a small piece of cardboard to line the big hole in his sidewall. Guy never said thank you and he acted like the flat was my fault.
But every other time felt terrific. Find your path to happiness by helping others.
Old 01-28-24, 07:52 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
I've given away 8-10 tubes, and helped install about half of them. ("Can I pay you for this?" Nope! Pay it forward. Have a safe ride.")

The only time I've regretted it was one skeevy guy in Oceanside, CA when I was pretty exhausted. Fixed his flat, had to dumpster-dive for a small piece of cardboard to line the big hole in his sidewall. Guy never said thank you and he acted like the flat was my fault.
But every other time felt terrific. Find your path to happiness by helping others.
Happened to me as well.

I helped a lady fix a flat during an event, and she got pissed at me afterwards, yelled at me in front of other riders saying I made her "feel guilty for being unprepared". B*tch next time please kindly yell at me as soon as I stop, so I know to jump back on my bike and ride off instead of wasting my time helping you.

I still stop for random people, but I no longer stop for people during organized events. The way I see it, if you're participating in an official ride and you don't have a spare tube, that's like crossing the Sahara without bringing a bottle of water. You are indeed unprepared. Good luck to you.
Old 01-28-24, 08:09 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Happened to me as well.
I helped a lady fix a flat during an event, and she got pissed at me afterwards, yelled at me in front of other riders saying I made her "feel guilty for being unprepared". B*tch next time please kindly yell at me as soon as I stop, so I know to jump back on my bike and ride off instead of wasting my time helping you.
I still stop for random people, but I no longer stop for people during organized events. The way I see it, if you're participating in an official ride and you don't have a spare tube, that's like crossing the Sahara without bringing a bottle of water. You are indeed unprepared. Good luck to you.
Please don't let one awful person stop you from being a good human being, even during events.
Even at my peak, I'd rather help a brother cyclist or two than finish the century in less than five hours.
Once I had three flat tires (there go the two spare tubes), and I was walking home in my socks. A senior fireman from the Elfin Forest Fire Department drove me home and refused to let me pay for his gas. If I'd had to walk the remaining 8 miles in thin cycling socks, ...I would have been hurtin for certain.

Even if you're desperately racing against them, every cyclist is your brother. Even kids on E-bikes.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 01-28-24, 11:54 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Since this thread is still going, I thought I would post about an experience last night.

I was in Vegas yesterday for an appointment. As usual, I took a bike and planned a ride while I was in town. Everything went pretty well and when I was done I ran by a store there that carries some stuff I can't get out here, then headed home. It was already after sundown and getting dark pretty fast. I drove through Red Rock loop, which is where I and a lot of bicyclists like to ride, and I pass a guy walking a mountain bike. My first inclination was "I have refrigerated stuff in a cooler. I should just go home", but then I thought how ****ty that was since other people have offered to help me in the past. I stopped and asked the guy where he was going. Turns out he was still parked about four miles away. His bike was much bigger than mine so I took mine apart and threw it in the trunk, then put his on my bike rack and drove him to his truck.

He was super thankful. He asked me a couple times if he could give me some money. The last time he asked, "are you sure I can't Venmo or Paypal you some cash?" I didn't say it but though, "thanks but I don't even know how to do that." Instead I just told him to pay it forward.
Old 01-28-24, 08:19 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
It’s easy with snoop or a helium leak checker imo, but yeah harder than pressure for sure. Vacuum sucks
Ultrasonic leak detector makes small leaks either pressure or vaccum (there is actually no difference, you are just looking at it from the other side) easy to find. You can also pressurize to find leak, as they don't have check valves , and vaccums don't suck, they just appear to. Oh, I had, 1 1/2" schedule 40 pvc up to 300 PSI, just for S&Gs, and it did not assplode.
Old 02-01-24, 05:13 PM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Agree on organized event, given there are tons of folks out on course and probably neutral support. No need to stop and be a personal mechanic for someone who is barely prepared.

During a race if someone wipes out fellow racers will make sure there is no need for medical assistance, but that's about it.

When out for a general ride I'll usually ask if someone stopped has everything they need. I've helped with tubes, chain tools, etc. Everyone has a cell phone now and can call for a bail out if a road side repair isn't possible.
Likes For McFlyRides:
Old 02-01-24, 07:04 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by McFlyRides
Everyone has a cell phone now and can call for a bail out if a road side repair isn't possible.
x2 when offering to help with jump starts and tire changes on somebody's car. Everybody has help on the way already.
Old 02-02-24, 05:32 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I always ask "ARE YOU OK?" when passing a cyclist stopped on the side of the road/trail. Most of the time they tell me they're fine, but I have on occasion loaned a pump, patch, or tube. One was the rider had provisions but the pump failed. Twice the rider didn't know how to use their pump. One was someone who neglected to carry any supplies and I made sure they understood how useful it is to have them with you. Always a pleasant interaction.
Old 02-04-24, 08:28 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
If I see a cyclist with a problem I'll stop and ask if they need any help, most of the time they have it under control, but some don't, so I will help them.

I try to make these types of stops a teaching stop, I show them what to use and what I'm doing and will let them do the work I just talk them through it mostly.

The best stop I ever had was when I was riding down a mountain early in the evening, with darkness coming in about 2 hours, as I came around a bend I see a cyclist off the side of the road with a flat tire, so I stopped to find out what was going on. He blew a hole in his tire and the tube, he had a spare tube but not a spare tire, I had a spare tire! So, I gave him my tire, since walking would have been a 3 to 4 hour walk into darkness, then he asked me for my name and address so he could send it back, but I told him it wasn't necessary it's a used tire, but he insisted, so I gave him the information, he never wrote it down so I knew he would forget. Except 2 weeks later I get a package in the mail, inside was a thank you card from a doctor, along with 2 new high-end tires and 2 new tubes! He never told me he was a doctor on the road, we didn't exchange lives. What a nice person he was.
Old 02-08-24, 08:39 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Had a guy ride with us years ago who never carried a spare or pump or anything. "I will rely on the kindness of strangers."

"Once," we told him. After that you're on your own. He used up his quota and hopefully learned his lesson.

Had the opposite on a very large club ride last year. About 60 riders. This young guy off with the A group gets a flat and of course gets left behind. B group rides on by too. By the time my mislabeled C group comes along, so I stop, of course. But no way could I get his tire off the rim and we both tried really hard. By then, mechanic from the sponsoring shop rolls by and I flag him down. He picks up the wheel and rips off the old tire with his bare hands. Impressive.

Our now fixed and new best friend paces us up back to the C group as a thank you. Debt paid!
Likes For bblair:
Old 02-08-24, 09:04 AM
SPlKE 

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
I always call out to cyclists on the roadside who look like they're stranded or tinkering with their bikes.

I've changed enough tires and tubes during rides that I always ride prepared with tire irons, spare tube(s), a patch kit, and a boot.

I was "rescued" once by another roadie. I was using stupidly thin 700-23 tubes to save spinning weight. I had a flat, and while mounting the new tube, I managed to tear a hole in it. The patch kit I was carrying was dried out and useless.

The guy who stopped to help just happened to have a second spare tube (normal, not weight-weenie thin tube). He gave it to me, hung around until I was good to go, and then he rode off into the sunset.

Very memorable.
Likes For SPlKE:
Old 02-08-24, 11:40 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
Yes PVC Will hold more than 5 psi and not come apart. Probably more than 50% of the time. But when it does come apart it throws sharp shards of plastic to penetrate completely through a 2x4 I have seen this numerous times. I know it it is in the specs because I looked it up for a customer that was running air in schedule 80 PVC. It's in their specs because it has happened enough that their liability lawyers had it put in their paperwork. That was told to me by a company rep for Charlotte pipe. There's enough chance of pipe failure with air pressure to cause serious injuries that it is stupid to take the chance.
For the record I personally saw a 9 inch shard of plastic go through a 2x4 with approximately 4 inches sticking out of back of the board this was 3 inch pipe and it came apart at just under 50 psi. I've seen it come apart several times
mods: sorry abusing the forum with non cycling related content.

Hey Roy, mind telling me how many wraps of teflon tape you would use on these 1/2 NPT fittings plastic to steel? I normally go like 1.5 wraps for metal on metal which is less than other stuff I’ve read but that’s how I was trained. Thanks!

Old 02-08-24, 11:54 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
mods: sorry abusing the forum with non cycling related content.

Hey Roy, mind telling me how many wraps of teflon tape you would use on these 1/2 NPT fittings plastic to steel? I normally go like 1.5 wraps for metal on metal which is less than other stuff I’ve read but that’s how I was trained. Thanks!

2-3 wraps but start a thread back from lead thread . Less likely to cross thread. Big thing is not to over tighten.
So we are still on topic I stopped and made sure a gentleman was able to repair his tire yesterday. He was concerned about CO2 inflator working.