Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mounting Aero Bars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mounting Aero Bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-04, 09:24 PM
eliktronik

Bikes: Tomasso AS1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm planning on re-wrapping my handlebars with tape tomorrow. I'm wondering whether clip on aero bars should be mounted on top of the tape, or on the naked handlebars. I got the bike with the tape stripped away from under the bars, but I'm not sure whether this is correct. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by eliktronik; 08-14-04 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-15-04, 10:03 AM
Grendel
1.64x10^6 posts

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The aerobars should be mounted to the bare part of the handlebar and not on top of the tape. If you want to wrap the bars first, just make sure you leave enough bare bar exposed to mount the aerobars.
Old 08-15-04, 11:27 AM
ruirui
need to go out and ride..

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R1, 2014 Redline Conquest Team, 2015 BMC TMR02

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
exactly like grendel said. you need to mount that one bare part of the handle bar. the easiest way would be to mount the aero bars first and then you use a pencil to make a mark 1/4 inch away from the end of the aero bar. this will give you the extra slack. then remove the aero bar, and start wrapping to the pencil mark. then you can mount ur aero bar without worries.

rui
Old 08-15-04, 11:52 AM
J-McKech
What?

Bikes: Bianchi Brava(retired), Surly Instigator(retired)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey ruirui ...your sirrus is really awesome. But why did you go with the TT bars?..just curious thats all
Old 08-15-04, 12:13 PM
ruirui

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HammerTheHill
Hey ruirui ...your sirrus is really awesome. But why did you go with the TT bars?..just curious thats all
Thanks! well, here was the thing. before the sirrus came with a flat bar. it really hurts my hand when i was riding it. then i got the syntace aero bar (got it at super cheap price at trisports.com). but then i noticed that when i mounted the syntace c2, it was kinda odd, cuz i couldn't shift or brake at all. so when i was thinking about getting new stem and drop bars... i went back to taiwan and test rode my friend's old Giant fixie with bullhorn bar. it was sweet and very easy to handle. then when i came back and saw the individual TT on TDF, i noticed that the bikes' geo are pretty upright in a certain way which kinda resembles my bike. so... on my bday, i use the coupon codes and bought from nashbar and trisports. my lbs installed and tuned the deraileurs... and they were shocked even till this day (2 weeks has passed) that my bike with this setup is really nice and comfortable, very much like the odd man out, but they liked it. they even asked to ride my bike around the block.

it's very comfortable.. and especially when i'm on my aerobar 90% of the time,... i am comfortable and at the same time be able to try and stay with my friends' tarmac on the road. of course he will still be in front, but it's cool to take turns pulling each other. so with the new setup, i have 4 different hand positions now: by the brake handle, on the flat bar place, on the elbow pad of the aero bar, and then on top of the aero bar.

rui
Old 08-15-04, 01:00 PM
eliktronik

Bikes: Tomasso AS1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the replies everyone!
Old 08-15-04, 01:01 PM
kerny
two wheeler

Bikes: daily rider...gary fisher Capitola , trek mountain trak 800 , schwinn la tour road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
make sure you put some strips of thin rubber where your bars attach to your handlebars.....then snug it up real tight.

kern
Old 08-15-04, 01:21 PM
ruirui

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kerny
make sure you put some strips of thin rubber where your bars attach to your handlebars.....then snug it up real tight.
kern
that does seem to snuggle it up tight.. but i've noticed that when i first did that, after a while later.. no matter how tightly torqued down i do on the screws, if i were to get off my seat and lean on the bar while pedaling.. it will slip downwards.. which i almost ate it! so since then.. i just tighten it up directly onto the bar just as Syntace has stated. i'm not sure about other brands, but it might work with other brands.. but certainly not with syntace brand.