Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Is your bike safe on an indoor trainer? (Mine wasn't.)

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Is your bike safe on an indoor trainer? (Mine wasn't.)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-19, 05:17 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
For some reason, I always feel as though I am just one bad break away from ending up in a pile of carbon fiber and bones on the floor when I am clipped in on the trainer. I have never felt safe on that thing.
And that is why I don't trust carbon fiber at my size, first off.

And why I really liked this old Performance trainer. Makes a fairly solid bit of furniture. But, I now am back to a rear mount Kurt Kinetic so I can have an iNride sensor. Semi smart, just not interactive. 20 year old Cannondale has been an excellent trainer bike since I crashed on it 8 years ago.
Likes For zjrog:
Old 11-02-19, 06:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by RShantz
I had my thru axle back out on my Madone going about 26mph on a century. Was about third wheel in a pack of at least 20. It completely locked the rear wheel as the chain locked up due to angle between derailleur and cassette. I just slid to a stop. Luckily I didn't go down and no one hit me. I had a bit of warning, but didn't put 2 and 2 together. Shifting was getting worse and worse. I guess as it slowly backed out.

I learned a lesson to always check the positioning of the thru axle. I don't physically touch it. I just look to make sure it's rotated in the same position.
Is this whole thru-axle thing a disc brake related danger?
Old 11-03-19, 07:50 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Trainer stands that clamp onto you frame cause stresses for which the frame isn't designed. Just think about it and it will become intuitively evident. Rollers are the best (and least stressful to your frame) option if you can't ride on the road. I love my Kreitlers! I would never use Kreitler's fork stand, either.
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 11-03-19, 12:19 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Boxkite
Trainer stands that clamp onto you frame cause stresses for which the frame isn't designed. Just think about it and it will become intuitively evident. Rollers are the best (and least stressful to your frame) option if you can't ride on the road. I love my Kreitlers! I would never use Kreitler's fork stand, either.
I hear you. But I have balance issues due to a neurologic issue and I just don't think I could ever do it reliably. I'm sure I'd fall. I don't even like to use my Cyclops with the frame all snugged in, for the reason you mention but also because I just don't feel secure on the bike like that. I'm plenty proficient at clipping and unclipping, but stop lights and stop signs are always an adventure for me because everything is balancing on my left leg. I used to be pretty athletic, but now, I really have to concentrate to keep from falling. Fortunately, once I get going, it's no problem. But I definitely don't like going slow. Slow or standing still are my danger points. Makes me nervous.
Old 11-03-19, 01:27 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

I hear you. But I have balance issues due to a neurologic issue and I just don't think I could ever do it reliably. I'm sure I'd fall. I don't even like to use my Cyclops with the frame all snugged in, for the reason you mention but also because I just don't feel secure on the bike like that. I'm plenty proficient at clipping and unclipping, but stop lights and stop signs are always an adventure for me because everything is balancing on my left leg. I used to be pretty athletic, but now, I really have to concentrate to keep from falling. Fortunately, once I get going, it's no problem. But I definitely don't like going slow. Slow or standing still are my danger points. Makes me nervous.
I get that, feeling uncomfortable. You saw my mag trainer above. I may look at fabricating a sleeve to mount my Kurt Kinetic trainer fluid head to that stand. Hey, I'm a Jeep guy with a welder. I never claim to BE a welder though. Anyway, a few years back, at my heavier weights, I felt top heavy even on the above trainer. Felt like I was going to fall over. I hate the feeling of not being safe and stable. I have non-diabetic neuropathy in my feet. Not being able to feel what I'm standing on sucks... I only do clipless on the trainer for much of this reason....
Old 11-03-19, 01:46 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
I get that, feeling uncomfortable. You saw my mag trainer above. I may look at fabricating a sleeve to mount my Kurt Kinetic trainer fluid head to that stand. Hey, I'm a Jeep guy with a welder. I never claim to BE a welder though. Anyway, a few years back, at my heavier weights, I felt top heavy even on the above trainer. Felt like I was going to fall over. I hate the feeling of not being safe and stable. I have non-diabetic neuropathy in my feet. Not being able to feel what I'm standing on sucks... I only do clipless on the trainer for much of this reason....
I am so sorry you are having to deal with that neuropathy. I have the same thing in the same location. I wish there was something we could do about it. I took gabapentin for quite awhile, but I don't really think it did much of anything for me. Not sure if you've tried any medication for yours. I finally decided to stop the gabapentin when I was fairly sure it just wasn't helping. I'm already on a bunch of meds for type 1 bipolar disorder, so any time I can cut a med loose, it's a good day.
Old 11-03-19, 03:01 PM
zjrog

I am so sorry you are having to deal with that neuropathy. I have the same thing in the same location. I wish there was something we could do about it. I took gabapentin for quite awhile, but I don't really think it did much of anything for me. Not sure if you've tried any medication for yours. I finally decided to stop the gabapentin when I was fairly sure it just wasn't helping. I'm already on a bunch of meds for type 1 bipolar disorder, so any time I can cut a med loose, it's a good day.
Thanks! I was on Gabapentin/neurontin for a while, switched to Lyrica for 18 months, but gained 60 pounds. Went back to gabapentin for a year then quit it. I use a B vitamin complex called Metanx, a prescription only proprietary vitamin mix. I think it helps a great deal more than the others did. I've been able to drop my BP meds completely this past year, reduce my water pills and gout meds by half each... I was able to drop anxiety meds a couple years ago, and sleep meds. So yes, dropping meds is never bad. I do use multivitamins, calcium and magnesium too.
Old 11-03-19, 05:47 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Maybe a cycle trainer built from the ground up as such is a better option if available or in the budget??? If using a 'clamp-on' trainer then, maybe, don't get too 'vigorous' with the exercise!?! Sorry for hijak FlashBazbo.
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 11-03-19, 06:24 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Not to high jack the thread further, but sometimes non-diabetic neuropathy can be caused by a Vitamin B12 deficiency. I know - I've got it. Many sympathies to you guys.

Glenn
Likes For GAtkins:
Old 11-04-19, 08:30 AM
john.b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
What bike manufacturers don't allow trainers to (voiding warranty) be used with their bikes anyway? If they sponsor a UCI or whatnot pro team, are all the team members supposed to warm up on a competitor's brand bike?
Canyon was one of the worst offenders, considering they sponsor a Zwift virtual race team. It looks as though they updated their warranty terms as of today:

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26...endurace-grail

Although at some point you have to ask yourself, if a bike frame can’t support the axle stresses of a trainer, how can it handle the axle stresses of a sprint?

Last edited by john.b; 11-04-19 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-04-19, 08:43 AM
zjrog

Originally Posted by GAtkins
Not to high jack the thread further, but sometimes non-diabetic neuropathy can be caused by a Vitamin B12 deficiency. I know - I've got it. Many sympathies to you guys.

Glenn
I do take a B12 heavy supplement. Have for about 2 years now. A recent blood workup shows that way over the top on the scale...
Old 11-04-19, 09:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by john.b
Canyon was one of the worst offenders, considering they sponsor a Zwift virtual race team. It looks as though they updated their warranty terms as of today:

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26...endurace-grail

Although at some point you have to ask yourself, if a bike frame can’t support the axle stresses of a trainer, how can it handle the axle stresses of a sprint?
Interesting. Though to note that Canyon has a qualifier that "the trainer must clamp on to the bike's rear axle..." This to mean no wheel-off direct drive trainers are 'allowed'?
Old 11-04-19, 09:18 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Old is new again. Rollers, without a fork stand.

Inside Ride - E-Motion Rollers
I second this!

No artificiality when riding smart resistance rollers as compared to locking your bike on a stationary. It will improve your bike handling skills. Learning to ride them is half the fun. Once you have mastered it, indoor training on Zwift, or whatever one uses is on another level.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 11-04-19, 01:47 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
After riding rollers for the last year, I will never lock my bike down on a stationary again.
Likes For Succhia Ruota:
Old 11-05-19, 06:34 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

'Although at some point you have to ask yourself, if a bike frame can’t support the axle stresses of a trainer, how can it handle the axle stresses of a sprint?'

john.b- a rolling bicycle is more dynamic and stresses are spread through the road surface (it does give a teeny bit!), tires, rims, spokes and then to axle and frame. Clamping the frame concentrates all of those forces at the fork ends and rear drop outs. Far away and a long time ago I remember reading an article on the subject which was an 'eye opener'. I subsequently ditched the 'clamper' and bought rollers. That was back when I didn't have much money and absolutely no assets so it was a major investment! I am not a metallurgy or physics major nor have the mental or physical capacity (I'm lazy) to crunch numbers anymore but intuitive sense is still present! lol One item I especially remember: if the front and rear axles are locked and immobile how many duty cycles will they absorb if you move the BB side to side 5mm? 10mm? 15mm? On a moving bicycle the whole frame et al flexes for the same loads. Sorry for hijack.
Old 11-05-19, 06:43 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
+1 for rollers, but let me add that if you are injured and can't ride outdoors (fractured clavicle), then you can't ride indoors on rollers either.

For this reason, I've started looking at wheel-off smart trainers but this thread has me reconsidering. I've got an old wheel-on dumb mag trainer but no trainer specific skewer, and that thing never felt secure either.
Old 11-05-19, 02:27 PM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
So, old steel frame better/safer than modern carbon frame - when on a rear-axle clamping trainer?

Old 11-05-19, 02:39 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyK
So, old steel frame better/safer than modern carbon frame - when on a rear-axle clamping trainer?
Yes, and not only.
Old 11-05-19, 02:56 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
Surprise! Another boomer that can't accept accountability for their own actions.

LOL just kidding. But thanks for the reminder to ensure my bike is done up properly.
Old 11-05-19, 02:58 PM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Yes, and not only.
Not only - what?

Old 11-05-19, 04:51 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyK
Not only - what?
Not only when clamped in a trainer.