Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-20, 03:26 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by orloved
Not sure I can post pics yet but I did take the headset apart and, yeah, the bearings and the bearing seats are toasted! Surprisingly it was roller bearing on the bottom AND the top, when I was expecting a caged bearing at the top. I think the wise thing to do is replace it with a completely new headset from tange/IRD, though I was not rushing to spend $100 on this bike quite so quickly! It's possible I can find new roller bearings and races, but idk.
Orloved, judging from the photos, you have "indexed steering." Makes it easy to ride no hands!
Likes For countalmaviva:
Old 07-16-20, 07:01 AM
orloved

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
OK I think I am b a c k i n t h e g a m e!

So I did go to my very local bike shop, which said it did have an extra headset lying around... and it was a black roller bearing headset! Roller bearing bottom, caged bearings top. They were sure that it'd fit my bike, I had a feeling it was ISO not JIS, but for $50 all told I figured they could figure it out for me and do the hard stuff. Sure enough, they got to filing my fork to clearance it, and struggled for a while to seat the 30.2 cups in the 30.0 headtube, but eventually they got it in. The bike is back on the road!

Likes For orloved:
Old 07-17-20, 09:04 AM
orloved

Another thing I'm wondering is figuring out if I can tell if this bike was made in Greenville or Panasonic. (I've been kinda hoping Panasonic, as that's where my Voyageur was built... or at least as I've always thought.)

My Cimarron's serial number is C734710, stamped on the bottom of the bottom bracket, stamped front-to-back not side-to-side. (My Voyageur's is H808614.)

I've looked at this post talking about Japanese-built Schwinns, which would imply both my bikes are Japanese-built, the Cimarron from March 1987, the Voyageur from August '88. That post figured that the date code did match up with Panasonic.

Another post contradicts it, however: the Asian Serial Number Guide. The guide says it's not 100% accurate but also says that Panasonic serial numbers had the year number then the month letter code, not the other way around like they are on my bikes.

Bridgestone bikes, however, do follow the month-then-year serial number format, and I didn't realize that Bridgestone built some Schwinns in the '80s! At least, this other forum post says that Bridgestone did. Moreover, supposedly Panasonic bikes had serial numbers stamped at the bottom of the headtube and.... neither of my Schwinns do!

The other question is of Greenville serial numbers. Supposedly most of them started with an S, as this post notes, but also there's agreement that Greenville bikes were a bit all over the place.

Is it possible that both my bikes are Bridgestone-built?
Old 07-17-20, 09:56 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Man I can't believe you had such a horrible time with your Voyageur. I got mine the other day and set it up in about 30min, original brakes and pads and all. The wife absolutely loves it and has taken it on every Thursday night ladies' gravel ride since I gave it to her. It's almost flawless..
Likes For shoota:
Old 07-17-20, 11:28 AM
orloved

The Voyageur wouldn't have been bad if I wasn't so hard-headed and tried to make it (a nice 27" touring bike) into something it never was designed to be (a 700c woodsy bikepacking rig).
Old 08-15-20, 02:08 PM
Fernleaf

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
1987 Cimarron

I bought this in 1988 after realizing my King Sting could not keep up with the other bike club members in San Diego. Much lighter for climbing the stairs to my efficiency apartment in Mission Beach. Ah those were the days! Still have her and all original except for tires and tubes. I'm a bit older now and riding a step through but still love occasionally taking Smoky Pearl out for a ride just to relive the good ole days. I was told by someone who should know that this was from the Mississippi plant and a smoked specialty paint job. Original paint as from the factory.

Last edited by Fernleaf; 08-15-20 at 02:18 PM.
Likes For Fernleaf:
Old 08-15-20, 03:26 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Fernleaf

Bike was actually built in March 1989 (date code 0869). Is that a qull seatpost?

And those 7-speed thumbies rock. Waaay too many bikes of that era went to triggers or grip shifters when they went 7-speed. The simplicity and reliability of thumbies can't be beat.
Old 08-15-20, 05:38 PM
Fernleaf

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by madpogue
Bike was actually built in March 1989 (date code 0869). Is that a qull seatpost?

And those 7-speed thumbies rock. Waaay too many bikes of that era went to triggers or grip shifters when they went 7-speed. The simplicity and reliability of thumbies can't be beat.
I'm not sure what kind of seapost that is. It came on the bike. And it could have been purchased in '89 as I moved to San Diego in the fall of '87. Strange that I had the paperwork and manual for the King Sting when I sold it but a cross country move and 11 years in this house, it is here somewhere!! I just remember being crazy about this bike when I first saw it and never hesitated, although it was probably out of my then price range. Would love to be cruising LaJolla again. Times have changed though!
Old 08-18-20, 08:22 AM
orloved

When I first saw one of those paint jobs I was sure someone had spray painted over a white Cimarron--blew my mind it was a factory color! Looks wild.
Old 08-18-20, 08:48 AM
Fernleaf

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by orloved
When I first saw one of those paint jobs I was sure someone had spray painted over a white Cimarron--blew my mind it was a factory color! Looks wild.
It definitely caught my eye as soon as I went in to this huge bike shop in Mission Beach. I still love it and have considered selling it as it as I have a step through I ride now. I do still ride it on occasion and yesterday decided I was just going to keep it. I feel silly having two bikes but then I have six acoustic guitars lol. No rhyme or reason when you get into your sixth decade i guess.
Old 08-18-20, 08:54 AM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
really enjoying this thread, thanks everybody. Are any of you running a 135mm rear hub? Anybody doing it without cold-setting?
Old 08-21-20, 10:05 AM
gravelinmygears 

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
I just purchased a smoky red Cimarron on ebay. I can't post photos yet. It's an 89, I believe. Serial number is B961628. Can anyone point me towards original spec sheets or catalog scans? I don't have money for getting it "catalog correct" but any guidance would be great. Thanks!
Old 08-21-20, 11:04 AM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelinmygears
I just purchased a smoky red Cimarron on ebay. I can't post photos yet. It's an 89, I believe. Serial number is B961628. Can anyone point me towards original spec sheets or catalog scans? I don't have money for getting it "catalog correct" but any guidance would be great. Thanks!
Monitored that sale.
Had never seen a smokey red or any smokey paint job on a Cim.
Nice pick-up.
Looking forward to your build.
I can't help with the specs.
but I am a Cimarron fan.
Old 08-21-20, 01:04 PM
Santuri32

Bikes: Some 80s MTBs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
So you took it from me , serves me right for being cheap, good for you. Yes its an 1989 (Feb frame), check the begging of this forum thread for a mint 1989, the hard this is the black RM-20, there's a set on sale but they are about what you paid for the frame.

One question, as the headbadge is dated. I thought that headbadge date indicated date of complete bike built, being this a frame only, would that mean this was guarantee fix frame or did the stamp did not apply to non-Chicago Schwinns?
Old 08-21-20, 02:49 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
RIP this 1987 Schwinn Cimarron

Less than a mile into the trail, I crossed over a little plank bridge, over a small hump and then KERSNAP. I knew something was wrong, it just took me a minute to realize that two rather important parts of my bike had completely detached.
https://jalopnik.com/i-finally-took-...s-a-1844773918
Old 08-21-20, 03:04 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by capt_velo
Bad luck for orloved
Likes For daverup:
Old 08-21-20, 03:09 PM
kyguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm JELIOUS Love them all to include The Bug in the shot
Old 08-22-20, 11:14 AM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Originally Posted by belacqua
really enjoying this thread, thanks everybody. Are any of you running a 135mm rear hub? Anybody doing it without cold-setting?
I'm running 135mm. I got my LBS to do the cold set for me, no problem.

- Oliver H.
Old 08-22-20, 11:17 AM
countalmaviva 

Originally Posted by capt_velo
This is heartbreaking. I'm going to try getting mine repaired. See this thread for close-ups of my BB shell:

https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuil...-bb-shell.html

I'll post here with updates! As I said in the Framebuilder's thread above, "This frame ticks all the boxes for me, and it was a long search to find it. Plus, after parting it out, I only have $75 in it. It's worth another few hundred bucks."

Cheers,
Oliver H.
Old 08-22-20, 11:30 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Re-attaching seat stays is certainly not beyond the abilities of a competent and experienced frame builder. May be an opportunity to improve that attachment, actually.
Old 08-22-20, 05:00 PM
gravelinmygears 

Originally Posted by Santuri32
So you took it from me , serves me right for being cheap, good for you. Yes its an 1989 (Feb frame), check the begging of this forum thread for a mint 1989, the hard this is the black RM-20, there's a set on sale but they are about what you paid for the frame.

One question, as the headbadge is dated. I thought that headbadge date indicated date of complete bike built, being this a frame only, would that mean this was guarantee fix frame or did the stamp did not apply to non-Chicago Schwinns?
It was a nailbiter of an auction. This is my first Cimarron so any help you could provide would be appreciated. It's just a frameset so I need a lot: stem and seatpost are my first priorities as I have some bits lying around that will do until I can afford nice things. Anybody have seatpost or stem for an 89 Cimarron? The post is 26.6, right?
Old 08-22-20, 05:13 PM
gravelinmygears 

89 Cimarron
Likes For gravelinmygears:
Old 08-22-20, 08:48 PM
Santuri32

Bikes: Some 80s MTBs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
It was a nailbiter of an auction. This is my first Cimarron so any help you could provide would be appreciated. It's just a frameset so I need a lot: stem and seatpost are my first priorities as I have some bits lying around that will do until I can afford nice things. Anybody have seatpost or stem for an 89 Cimarron? The post is 26.6, right?
Online catalog says 26.6 and my '89 has a 26.6 x 300, I believe the frame was not changed from 1985 to 1989. Good luck with the parts

Last edited by Santuri32; 08-22-20 at 08:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-22-20, 08:55 PM
gravelinmygears 

That's very kind of you! Thanks!
Old 08-23-20, 07:10 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I posted this in the Looking thread but the ad is still up, for all you Cimarronistas. Not cheap.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/...172366736.html

Vintage schwinn cimmaron beautiful timecapsule mtb mountain bike - $450

bicycle frame material: steel
bicycle type: mountain
frame size: 49 cm
wheel size: 26 in
All original . Nitto bars and stem. Full deore xt even pedals and hubs. Great condition from 87

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.