Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Big Bear/Running Springs Question . . .

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-21, 05:02 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

My 15 yr old son has started snowboarding and has a season pass for Snow Valley which is technically in Running Springs outside of Big Bear. I've taken my gravel bike with me a few times, but there doesn't really seem to be any decent riding in that area. Riding on the 18 from there to the lake area is not for me---way too sketchy with little to no shoulders and crazy drivers. I've dropped him at Snow Valley and driven with my bike to Big Bear but it can be 30+ minutes away with traffic, and I like to stay more nearby where he is(I actually popped on to Towne Trail last time only to discover it's closed. I usually ride Skyline, etc in the summer fwiw)).
Long story short, I'd like to do some riding for an hour or two around Snow Valley while he's doing his thing, dirt or pavement is fine, but I don't want to spend much time on the 18 at all. I can't seem to come up with anything. Any ideas?
Old 01-16-21, 08:29 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
green valley lake rd and keller peak rd are both workouts and are both a short drivable distance back down towards running springs from snow valley.
i'm sure there's other stuff but i'm a lowly roadie. maybe a mtb/gravel slayer can chime in. perhaps there's a decent, low snow crushable trail on property
or two.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-16-21 at 08:32 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-16-21, 11:35 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
green valley lake rd and keller peak rd are both workouts and are both a short drivable distance back down towards running springs from snow valley.
i'm sure there's other stuff but i'm a lowly roadie. maybe a mtb/gravel slayer can chime in. perhaps there's a decent, low snow crushable trail on property
or two.
Thanks! I will look into those. I will have my gravel bike w me, so anything goes, pretty much.

There's a network of trails and roads directly across the street basically from Snow Valley, where they actually hold MTB races in the summer, and cross country skiing in the winter. But I'm told it's closed off right now--not enough snow for skiing, and closed to everone else

Last edited by pbass; 01-17-21 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-11-21, 02:08 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Thanks! I will look into those. I will have my gravel bike w me, so anything goes, pretty much.

There's a network of trails and roads directly across the street basically from Snow Valley, where they actually hold MTB races in the summer, and cross country skiing in the winter. But I'm told it's closed off right now--not enough snow for skiing, and closed to everone else
just came across this...did not know this site existed.

https://bigbearcycling.com

use the "#ridewithus" drop down menu and then "where the locals ride." it may help with an idea or two.
it is getting warmer up there...time to hit those rides again.
Old 05-11-21, 02:22 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
just came across this...did not know this site existed.

https://bigbearcycling.com

use the "#ridewithus" drop down menu and then "where the locals ride." it may help with an idea or two.
it is getting warmer up there...time to hit those rides again.
Very cool--thanks! Been a while since I rode up there - the last time I was there with a bike was during the 2018 Spandex Stampede, in August. I'm overdue!