Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strange bike seat positon??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 09:54 AM
Sam12345

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

When I have my seat up high to the correct height so I get the right angel in my leg. My lower back hurts when I set it lower, I don't get as much power in my legs but my lower back doesn't hurt What does this mean? I had a pro bike fit they set the seat to what its meant to be to get power out of legs but that hurt my lower back. I'm very flexible, hamstrings/back/quads
Old 03-29-11, 10:06 AM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try putting the seat where it's meant to be (the higher position, where the pro fit put it) and raising your handlebars. normally you adjust seat position for pedaling/legs, then adjust stem and handlebars based on that. if your back hurts at the correct seat position, move the bars, not the seat.

but really, you should tell the guys who fit you that your back hurts and they should be able to adjust it.
Old 03-29-11, 12:18 PM
Sam12345

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by climber7
try putting the seat where it's meant to be (the higher position, where the pro fit put it) and raising your handlebars. normally you adjust seat position for pedaling/legs, then adjust stem and handlebars based on that. if your back hurts at the correct seat position, move the bars, not the seat.

but really, you should tell the guys who fit you that your back hurts and they should be able to adjust it.
They put to small of stem that i had to change and lowered the handlebars.... And i don't have the money to raise them.
Old 03-29-11, 12:19 PM
pjuarez
TourWithPhil

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Giant Nutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with Climber. I had to get a stem extension and a high angle stem to get my handlebars are the right height. However, I'm not terribly flexible so you will probably not have to go as far. My point is that adjusting the handlebars is not a trival thing if it needs to go more than a few centimeters (for that you just move spacers around).
Old 03-29-11, 12:48 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
Most stems can be flipped so you can get the bars up a bit higher that way ..... unless it's already flipped

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html