Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

No More Nickel-and-Diming?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

No More Nickel-and-Diming?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-10, 01:17 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Methinks that jshelly is still bitter about being slammed as a cheapskate in another thread that he/she started.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-off-base-here

*adding on* Might as well quote the opening post from that thread:

Originally Posted by jshelly
I recently started to replace some components on my old Hybrid and the brakes were next on the list. I wasn’t interested in buying a bunch of cable ends in bulk since I only need a few so I thought I would check out a LBS about 30 minutes from my house.

It’s a place I have never been to before, it is fairly well known and one of the few shops in the area that sell cervelo so I planned on doing a little window shopping as I plan on buying a road bike next year.

Now I am the kind of person that prefers to support local businesses to big box retailers and I do not consider myself cheap or even thrifty for that matter (my wife takes care of that).

Feeling guilty for just going in and asking for something free, I thought I would buy a Bontrager Pants Strap made out of a recycled inner tube for $10.99 (perfect for rides around the block with the kids) and ask if they minded sparing a few cable ends.

Well, long story short they decided to charge me $1.00 for four cable ends and honestly, I am more disappointed than I am angry – I left the shop and do not plan on going back.

I understand that LBS’ need to make money, as they are a business like any other. What I do not understand is why the shops in my area insist on gouging customers not “in the know”.

I am going to mention the name (Brielle Cyclery in NJ) just in case this was an isolated incident and I am rushing to judgement.

Last edited by BarracksSi; 11-20-10 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 02:53 PM
Caveman

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Pivot Mach 5.7, Cannondale Capo, Litespeed Arenberg, Litespeed Ultimate Gravel, Surly Krampus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I go out of my way to give my business to businesses that treat me like a human.

There's a tire distributor in our area (Tire Discounters). My wife picked up a nail in one the tires on her Expedition and it had a slow leak. I changed the tire and had her drop off the other tire at this place to have it plugged/repaired. When she went back to pick it up they told her "No charge, but please keep us in mind if you ever need tires." In the following months we bought two complete sets of new tires from them. I didn't even shop around. I didn't care if I could have saved a few bucks elsewhere. It cost their technician 15 minutes of his time and a $10 gesture. In return I bought almost $1200 worth of tires from them. You treat me right and I'll treat you right. Why more businesses don't get this I'll never understand.
Old 11-22-10, 09:16 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Caveman
I go out of my way to give my business to businesses that treat me like a human.

There's a tire distributor in our area (Tire Discounters). My wife picked up a nail in one the tires on her Expedition and it had a slow leak. I changed the tire and had her drop off the other tire at this place to have it plugged/repaired. When she went back to pick it up they told her "No charge, but please keep us in mind if you ever need tires." In the following months we bought two complete sets of new tires from them. I didn't even shop around. I didn't care if I could have saved a few bucks elsewhere. It cost their technician 15 minutes of his time and a $10 gesture. In return I bought almost $1200 worth of tires from them. You treat me right and I'll treat you right. Why more businesses don't get this I'll never understand.
Because there's a load of people out there that would have shopped around for less expensive tires and completely disregarded the gesture of any freebie they may have gotten.
Old 11-23-10, 10:04 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sort of don't "get" it. It seems that many people feel a "right" to free items from a bike shop if those items fall below a certain threshold price.

I don't expect free anything from a shop. Now the shop I currently frequent and have for years, has given me some free stuff from time to time. I got a free water bottle once. Another time I was looking for a certain kind of saddle. This saddle came as original equipment. Mike had one of those saddles that some customer gave him because the customer did not like the saddle. So I got a saddle for no charge.

But the prospect a freebie every now and then is not why I go there. They have excellent and careful mechanics. Their prices are fair. And their service is excellent.

I had a bad crash once and needed a new helmet. The old helmet was trashed and my head was a bit scrambled. Ardin spent about 45 minutes going through her inventory in search of the perfect fit on a new helmet. I am very grateful that she took the time. It was very nice of her. Try to get that from the internet. So if I pay 10 cents for cable ends, I don't care.
Old 11-27-10, 04:47 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by INC.COM article
Former Competitors as a Marketing Channel. Call two of Zane's former competitors -- now out of business -- and you'll get this message: "The number you are calling is no longer in service. If you are in need of a bicycle dealer, Zane's Cycles will be happy to serve you. To be directly connected toll-free, please press zero now." By offering to pay the local yellow pages a small fraction of the defunct dealers' remaining advertising costs, Zane arranged to have their out-of-service phone numbers ring at his shop. The total cost to him is about $200 a month, which he'll continue to pay until a new book is published. Because the yellow pages helped him track the transferred calls, Zane knows he received 260 inquiries from his former competitors' customers last July alone. "The first day the line was changed, we sold a bike to a guy who asked why we closed our New Haven store," recalls Zane. "So the program paid for itself for that month." It also reinforces Zane's stronger-than-the-competitors image.
!

That's pretty hard core.
Zane's is biking distance for me, and I've been in there three times or so. It's a high dollar store in a high dollar part of the world (Connecticut's Shoreline), and it shows. My helmet is from there. Nice people and all. Last time I was into Zane's looking into turning a triple into a double, I got a pretty obvious $700 upsell attempt for a full group replacement b/c my mid cage RD would not play nice with a double. As far as I know, this is not the case at all.

A lot of my business goes to a scrappy more vintage-friendly shop that more suits my scrappy vintage bikes.

there are a ton of articles that feature Chris Zane on inc.com. Heres one:
https://www.inc.com/magazine/19960201/1544.html
Old 11-27-10, 05:53 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 2,073 Times in 1,087 Posts
This

One dealer called him last year with a proposition: "I'll drop the lifetime service guarantee if you will."

would be illegal no? That is to say, if he agreed.