Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has anyone downgraded bikes and regretted / not regretted it?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23, 04:04 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 608 Times in 365 Posts

So I, like many, spent a bit of a relative fortune on bikes, and whilst I love them I'm not using them that much (1 or 2 rides a week of 10-20 miles) making it hard to justify 4 good bikes. With a potential house move coming up I'm considering downgrading the bikes a bit to get some money back, but can't decide if I'd regret it.

The candidates are:
Giant Revolt 1 -> Triban RC 120 Gravel. I'd go from GRX400 2x10 with hydraulic brakes to Microshift 1x10 and cable brakes and lose the D-Fuse seat/bars, but I'd also gain standard mounts for racks etc and get about $600.
Triban RC 520 -> Triban RC 120. I'd go from 105 2x11 and TRP Spyre cable actuated hydraulic discs to Microshift 2x8 and cable brakes, but the rest of the bike is the same (seat, frame, wheels, etc) and get about $300.
Merida Big Trail 400 -> Gone. It hasn't been used in a year and would be worth about $800.

It's not huge sums of money, and not a huge change in spec, but probably not something I can reverse if I go for it.

So has anyone done similar? Any regrets?
Old 04-22-23, 04:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6216 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 3,329 Posts
My newest bike is really fun to ride. My other bikes, a 1991 Schwinn Paramount and a 1978 Raleigh Competition GS were very enjoyable to ride also but they just sat around taking up space so I got rid of them. One in 2021 and the other last year. I don't need the money from them so I gave one away and took the other to the salvage yard. One bike is enough since I don't do anything but ride the roads.
Old 04-22-23, 04:21 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,636 Times in 1,050 Posts
I knew when I went away from SewUps that things were a changing...

I often think back to those older Italians I used to ride with in 1970's Italy. Many rose heavy road bikes from the early 60's. The guys my age would have nothing to do with me, but the old guys were fun, very strong, and I could keep up with them... Ha

I am still riding and just very Thank Full, no Regrets of the bicycle changes...
Old 04-22-23, 05:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked 5,466 Times in 2,776 Posts
Why go to two marginal bikes? Maybe just keep the nicer Revolt, it's pretty versatile.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-23-23, 06:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,487 Times in 1,841 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
Giant Revolt 1 -> Triban RC 120 Gravel. I'd go from GRX400 2x10 with hydraulic brakes to Microshift 1x10 and cable brakes and lose the D-Fuse seat/bars, but I'd also gain standard mounts for racks etc and get about $600.
Maybe I am missing something .... as I read it you have three bikes and want to sell them all and replace them with worse bike?

Don't do it.

The money is fairly insignificant (IMO.) Unless you are running out of food or about to get evicted or have the lights turned off, the money is a side issue. Over the next ten years of riding, the extra few pennies saved will not affect the joy of riding.

I don't care what you paid new, used you will get maybe half or a third for a used bike. So basically, you would be losing money and getting a worse bike. Not a good idea, IMO.

The Revolts seems like a great all-around bike. (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/md/revolt-1) 48/32x11-34----great range of gearing for a casual rider. Tall enough for quick road rides, low enough for gravel, plenty low for most climbs.

"Flip-chip" front dropouts so you can go full road or full gravel (53-mm max tire width) is a huge plus. Also Hydro discs are much, much better than everything else, particularly if you are planning to ride mixed surfaces in mixed weather.

As fro rack mounts, there are lots of options, with p-clips and all kinds of creative solutions. You could even get a big bike-packing saddle bag coupled with a big bar bag. Not well-suited for serious touring unless you went full bike-packing .... which it could totally do. less convenient for commuting, but you didn't say you commute.

The Revolt is such a good bike, and you want to trade it in for a much less good bike? Not that the Triban is bad, exactly .... it is a great value ... (https://www.cyclingweekly.com/review...solar-headunit) but if you already have the Revolt, buying a new bike won't "save" any money, and I am not sure you can sell any used bike for more than a small fraction of its actual value .......

Verdict: bad switch. Ride the Revolt forever.

Originally Posted by Herzlos
Triban RC 520 -> Triban RC 120. I'd go from 105 2x11 and TRP Spyre cable actuated hydraulic discs to Microshift 2x8 and cable brakes, but the rest of the bike is the same (seat, frame, wheels, etc) and get about $300.
First off, Spyres are Not hydraulic. They are the best cable-disc breaks on the market (perhaps--IMO) but they are just cable brakes.

The RC 120 (https://www.decathlon.com/products/r...oduct-features) is just a cheaper version of the 520 (https://www.decathlon.com/products/r...ct-information) I cannot see where this step down will make any difference. The cash as I said above is imaginary ... you will not make any money---but you will lose some small measure of joy in riding.

Sell the one you don't ride, and ride the ones you do. Simple.
Old 04-23-23, 07:03 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Shelbyfv, that is the very same thought I had. Makes no sense to ditch a nice bike like the Revolt 1, and replace it with something a bit less nice and on par with the rest of the bikes you have. As for the Merida, it hasn't been used in a year. It makes a lot of sense to get rid of it.
Old 04-23-23, 08:05 AM
Robert7659
Getoutofmyway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I can afford anything but I only look at Sora and mechanical disc brakes now. The rides are as great as ever.
Likes For Robert7659:
Old 04-23-23, 03:58 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 981 Times in 651 Posts
Never downgraded but always upgraded my rides. Keep the giant and upgrade it with GRX .Qualitywise I value the Giant over the Decathlon.
Old 04-24-23, 06:54 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 608 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Why go to two marginal bikes? Maybe just keep the nicer Revolt, it's pretty versatile.
Wide tired gravel for the all rounder, and the road bike for the trainer, when I really need the extra speed or when I'm commuting to work and want to put all my crap in panniers.

Though the RC120 Gravel is a 1x10 so I'd lose a lot of the range benefits from the Revolts 2x10 and making it less of an all rounder.

I'd probably be better off ditching the gravel bike and just getting a cheapish flat bar hybrid for commuting.

But I think I've been largely convinced to hold off for now; I never know if I'll get more use out of them.
Old 04-24-23, 07:16 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 493 Posts
I’m not sure your estimates are accurate. I doubt you’ll make as much money as you think and you’ll have two way worse bikes. Keep the two you ride and sell the other.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 04-24-23, 10:04 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3904 Post(s)
Liked 4,849 Times in 2,237 Posts
If I had to downgrade to only 4 bikes, I would regret it. Good luck.
Old 04-25-23, 05:58 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 275 Posts
What's all this silly talk about not able to hold onto 4 bikes?

If there isn't a zero on the end of that number, it's not a problem.

Gotta get more bikes.

Poor bikes follow us home all the time, who else will take care of them?
Likes For soyabean:
Old 04-25-23, 06:10 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4241 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Not sure what your market is, but those prices that you would "make" seem...generous.
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-25-23, 02:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10990 Post(s)
Liked 7,510 Times in 4,200 Posts
I genuinely cant imagine myself wanting to do this just to net $300 at most.

My old gravel bike was repurposed into a commute bike and it was 'downgraded' as a result.
- Was 2x11 shifting with 105 derailleurs plus cassette and hubs, a Shimano crank, pretty light wheels.
- Is now a 3x9 shifting with a 25 year old XT RD, a Sora FD, a Sakae crank from 35 years ago, some heavy duty wheels with Tiagra hubs, and bar end shifters.

I have really enjoyed both setups because they fit the purpose of how I want to use the bike at each given time.
Old 04-25-23, 02:25 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
When I was riding far more actively my main ride was the Spec Roubaix in my description < (over there). I started doing a lot of Critical Mass and other large group rides in Atl and due to the nature of those rides not only do you have to be concerned with other riders running into you, but theft at stops and such as well. I purchased an el-cheapo single speed bike off BD and it was PERFECT for the use case. The rides ended up getting faster and faster and eventually i was unable to keep up with the gearing I had selected for hills and such, so I then purchased an inexpensive city/hybrid that I continue to ride to this day. I enjoy it a lot for its versatility. I still own the Spec, but am too heavy to ride it safely.
Old 04-25-23, 06:53 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I'd just keep the Revolt and the RTC520 and sell the Big Trail. Why go through all the rigmarole of selling bikes, setting up new ones etc.? Also, there, in my opinion, your used Revolt and RC520, through use and depreciation, are about the same as cheaper new bikes. You may net a little, because, IMO, people buying used bikes often neglect to properly examine consumable parts and factor in replacement costs, but why bother? Sounds like a bunch of work for little to no actual return.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 04-30-23, 01:23 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3893 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
"Do​​​wngrading the bikes"? does that mean? Downsizing your collection? Or do you actually mean "downgrading" the componentry of keepers?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-30-23, 08:07 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I have a 1970 Raleigh Competition that I period-Campy'd up and it's a pleasure to ride, but my daily commuting bike is a Trek FX1-disc and it's fine. I don't mind riding it, I don't worry about it getting hurt or stolen, it's tough and doesn't mind abuse. It's got racks for carrying stuff to work or the post office. The Raleigh is in the shop right now getting some updates, but I probably won't ride it much when I get it back.
Old 04-30-23, 11:57 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,018 Times in 2,683 Posts
I would never downgrade a bike unless I was so hard up for money I had to sell stuff and even then I probably wouldn't I just wouldn't buy new stuff.

I would certainly understand getting rid of bikes and focusing on fewer builds but upgrading those builds. I am currently getting rid of some bikes to add some nicer bikes into the collection but not doing a direct number replacement actually going down but upgrading to nice bikes.