Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Little help from experts with swiss Magni road bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 10:01 AM
balkanac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently bought Magni road bike in poor shape and i have few questions since brand i not well known.

First there is tubing question, S. tube diameter is 28.3(vernier caliper) that would suggest metric tubing(28 mm), i found no seam inside tubes, seatpost is 26.4, thread is italian, b.b. shell width is 68 mm, maybe reynolds 531? but odd thing is that this brand was italian oriented ( ICS italcicili design....) dropouts look like campagnolo to me.

Can somebody tell me something about lugs? French looking to me.

I could not find Ofmega crank like this, simillar to Competizione but drilled and differently fluted?

Other thing is curious part mix that came with bike and it looks original( exept maybe NR derailleurs)

Campagnolo - nuovo record f.d., r.d.( pat 84), shifters, headset, record hubs ( flat QR)
Ofmega- Crank, bb( with campagnolo sleeve), pedals
Cinelli- saddle, stem, handlebar
Universal mod. 77 brakes
Zeus seat post

Wheels are campagnolo record, maillard freewheel, and unknown tubular rims( remains of red decal are visible but i don t recognize it?)

Pics( some are before rebuild some are after)

Rest of pics - https://flic.kr/s/aHsjF85ron

Thanks
Old 05-20-13, 11:14 AM
Zoku620

Bikes: 81 Ross T.K., 89 Merlin mtn.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really cool. Swiss, I think. https://classicrendezvous.com/Switzerland/ICS_main.htm
Old 05-21-13, 02:59 AM
balkanac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Zoku620, yep swiss, i saw info on classicrendezvous site mine looks like "low end" Magni model compared to other bikes from this brand
Old 05-21-13, 06:42 AM
Zoku620

Bikes: 81 Ross T.K., 89 Merlin mtn.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's really beautiful, even if it is not as fancy as those others! the bikes look pretty special, those lugs may be custom made by ICS.
I am familar with (Arturo) Magni, a motorbike builder, but I believe this bike is name for Fiorenzo Magni, a bike racer of old. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiorenzo_Magni
I am guessing, but if the parts are original to the bike, they might have been modified by ICS (crank, etc.) - that was part of their business.
Hopefully a forum member who knows about these bikes will jump in!
Old 05-21-13, 07:44 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
I always thought that Magni was an Italian brand, as everything asscociated with it was Italian. Magni, the professional cyclist was Italian and the bicycles were used by the Italian Philco and Salvarani teams in the early 1960s. In fact Magni (the pro cyclist) managed the Philco team when they were using Magni bicycles, so I've always assumed the bicycles were his new business after he retired from pro cycling. I wondering if this is a case where the brand was originally Italian and ICS later bought the brand?

While it has nothing to due with the nationality, it's notable that Gimondi won the 1965 Tour de France on a Magni, while riding for Salvarani.

26.4mm would be the correct post diameter for a Reynolds 531 butted, metric seat tube. Metric tubing with a 68mm shell and Italian threading is a strange combination, though it may have been damaged and rethreaded to Italian. Just as strange are the rear dropouts. They are the long dropouts with the spring anchor hole for the 1950s and 1960s Campagnolo Sport derailleur. Yet it has a full complement of braze-ons. My best guess is that the dropouts were old stock and the frame is circa 1975-1978.
Old 05-21-13, 07:56 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
26.4mm would be the correct post diameter for a Reynolds 531 butted, metric seat tube. Metric tubing with a 68mm shell and Italian threading is a strange combination, though it may have been damaged and rethreaded to Italian. ...
It probably had (rare) Swiss threading originally, which would have increased the chance of cross-threading or other damage somewhere along the way.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-21-13, 11:24 AM
balkanac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoku620
It's really beautiful, even if it is not as fancy as those others! the bikes look pretty special, those lugs may be custom made by ICS.
I am familar with (Arturo) Magni, a motorbike builder, but I believe this bike is name for Fiorenzo Magni, a bike racer of old. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiorenzo_Magni
I am guessing, but if the parts are original to the bike, they might have been modified by ICS (crank, etc.) - that was part of their business.
Hopefully a forum member who knows about these bikes will jump in!
I agree with you this bike has some interesting characteristics that are not common,IMHO it is very nice machine only bad thing is poor shape but that is fixable

I always thought that Magni was an Italian brand, as everything asscociated with it was Italian. Magni, the professional cyclist was Italian and the bicycles were used by the Italian Philco and Salvarani teams in the early 1960s. In fact Magni (the pro cyclist) managed the Philco team when they were using Magni bicycles, so I've always assumed the bicycles were his new business after he retired from pro cycling. I wondering if this is a case where the brand was originally Italian and ICS later bought the brand?

While it has nothing to due with the nationality, it's notable that Gimondi won the 1965 Tour de France on a Magni, while riding for Salvarani.

26.4mm would be the correct post diameter for a Reynolds 531 butted, metric seat tube. Metric tubing with a 68mm shell and Italian threading is a strange combination, though it may have been damaged and rethreaded to Italian. Just as strange are the rear dropouts. They are the long dropouts with the spring anchor hole for the 1950s and 1960s Campagnolo Sport derailleur. Yet it has a full complement of braze-ons. My best guess is that the dropouts were old stock and the frame is circa 1975-1978.
I guess that Magni name was used in "pay and brand your bike with my name" way because i didn t find any usefull info on F. Magni builder

That confused me too( "Metric tubing with a 68mm shell and Italian threading is a strange combination") maybe some other swiss firm like Mondia or Tigra sold their frame building parts to ICS for their "low end" models and ICS used italian thread, by my knowledge swiss bike builders used "french" reynolds 531 so it is posible

Pic of Ofmega crank that i can t identify

Unknown tubular rim

Last edited by balkanac; 05-21-13 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-21-13, 12:41 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Now that I can see the rim decals, they're Martano.
Old 05-21-13, 02:49 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
It defintely looks like a good quality bike (BTW, there's also a famous Italian custom motorcycle tuning company named Magni that specializes in modded up Moto Guzzis), for sure, but I do find the styling on the lugs and BB shell a bit uhmmm....weird......
Especially that amorphously shaped cut out at the bottom of the BB......I'm thinking, If they can't make it look like anything,....even just a regular geometric shape, why bother doing it? Similar seems to have happened with the head lugs, with those strangely shaped slots Nowhere near how an Italian company would have handled it. Could it some sort of Teutonic Germanic sense of styling gene that's getting in the way for those Swiss guys??
Still, it is Swiss and maybe that's why it is so different.......BTW, whta's the threading on the BB??
Old 05-21-13, 04:23 PM
balkanac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that I can see the rim decals, they're Martano.
Thanks for info

Originally Posted by Chombi
It defintely looks like a good quality bike (BTW, there's also a famous Italian custom motorcycle tuning company named Magni that specializes in modded up Moto Guzzis), for sure, but I do find the styling on the lugs and BB shell a bit uhmmm....weird......
Especially that amorphously shaped cut out at the bottom of the BB......I'm thinking, If they can't make it look like anything,....even just a regular geometric shape, why bother doing it? Similar seems to have happened with the head lugs, with those strangely shaped slots Nowhere near how an Italian company would have handled it. Could it some sort of Teutonic Germanic sense of styling gene that's getting in the way for those Swiss guys??
Still, it is Swiss and maybe that's why it is so different.......BTW, whta's the threading on the BB??
Did you ever see dropout screw cut to smaller lenght by builder or brand? because dropout screws on this bike look professionally cut to smaller size, they are identical in lenght, precisely finished( compared them with regular dropout screw )?

BB is italian threaded.

It is unique build i agree, lugs, part mix, metric tubing, italian threading

Guess flickr link to more pics isn t interesting so here: