Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your common love.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your common love.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 11:19 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I've got a low-mid frameset I've decided to build: Univega Modo Vivere-Columbus Thron OS tubing and steel fork.
It will be a budgeteer, with Micrshift 9sp drivetrain, a set of wheels to be named later, and whatever parts I can cobble together.

I have no doubt it will become a keeper that I will ride a lot. It just feels like it, already.
Old 08-20-12, 11:26 AM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This specialized sirrus was my very first bike. It came with RX-100, but I put some ergos on it for faster road riding. I have since sold it.

Old 08-20-12, 11:48 AM
josh.d

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I just bought a Nishiki Olympic 12 for cheap and got it on the road the other day. It's maiden voyage was the bike parade at the Boise, Idaho Tour De Fat (New Beligum Brewing Company). The paint got sort of messed up from trying to get the seized seatpost out and finally using sodium hydroxide on it. It rides so nice I am going to take all the parts off it and have the frame and fork powder coated. After the powder coat it's getting a Turbo saddle, new pedals, and a front brake.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20120820_113907.jpg (70.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-20-12, 12:28 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
3: I don't want to know! Especially now that I know we do overlap on frame sizes.

WNG: Not a fan of sloping top tubes, but I'll make an exception in this case. I like it. I love how DB's also have that very plain utility look in that era.

Nova: That picture looks right out of the 70's! A friend of mine likes those old schwinns too.. does your wife love the mixte as much as you do?

02: I have never ridden a Gitane, how is it?

Sloar: >.> That's your beater?!?!?!

Robbie: Report back when done.

Puget: How can it be your love if you betrayed it?

Josh: Now that's a story I love. Glad to see that bike got a nice home, what's the paint scheme gonna be?
Old 08-20-12, 12:33 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
You can't get more "common" than this... I don't think even the U08 is more ubiquitous than the GP - and like its French cousin, it's a joy to ride.
It's so common I have two!
That's great, Auchen, but I see you need two of them. One not good enough? (I used to have a car like that.)

Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Jim: I've heard often enough the ride on those peugeot's are nice. Dunno about that bianchi.. looks a bit shiny for my liking.
Black paint hides a multitude of sins, I mean paint chips. In any case, it was represented to me as being an '89. BG says the color scheme (presumably without paint chips) is from the '87 catalogue. However it carries a campione del mono '86-'87 sticker on the DT. I wonder how they'd have known to install it in '87, unless it was added, perhaps by a dealer, after the fact, or unless the bike was built very late in '87. It doesn't matter, of course. That's the bike I ride lately when I want raw performance but am too concerned about the circumstances to take the Masi. Provided I'm not too concerned about being pounded to pieces - it's rides hard.
Old 08-20-12, 12:36 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Originally Posted by jimmuller
That's great, Auchen, but I see you need two of them. One not good enough? (I used to have a car like that.)

Black paint hides a multitude of sins, I mean paint chips. In any case, it was represented to me as being an '89. BG says the color scheme (presumably without paint chips) is from the '87 catalogue. However it carries a campione del mono '86-'87 sticker on the DT. I wonder how they'd have known to install it in '87, unless it was added, perhaps by a dealer, after the fact, or unless the bike was built very late in '87. It doesn't matter, of course. That's the bike I ride lately when I want raw performance but am too concerned about the circumstances to take the Masi. Provided I'm not too concerned about being pounded to pieces - it's rides hard.
Lucky you! The black paint on my main bike the chips and scratches show like it's radioactive!!!!!!!!!! Glad that bike gets used well though.
Old 08-20-12, 12:46 PM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
3:
Puget: How can it be your love if you betrayed it?
Sometimes you let go of the ones you love. At the time, it was the best thing to do. I'm kind of scared of getting another one because my tastes have become a bit more refined since then. It might ruin the memories.
Old 08-20-12, 12:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
loved my $20 beater ('70s era Schwinn LeTour) cuz it got me back into road bikes. I was desparate one summer weekend about 5 years ago and drove to CT for a bike my size so I would have a weekend project. the tires shredded on my weekend maiden 17 mile trial trip to work but I made it home in time before the bulge gave way. now I have an aluminum Botecchia with carbon fork and integrated shifters but we don't forget those that served us well, do we
Attached Images
LeTour2_DSC_5694.jpg (91.6 KB, 190 views)
Old 08-20-12, 01:17 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Pug: Guess I can let it slide.. for now.

Rum: Are those half clips?!?!
Old 08-20-12, 02:13 PM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nova: That picture looks right out of the 70's! A friend of mine likes those old schwinns too.. does your wife love the mixte as much as you do?
I swear it was taken only a couple of weeks ago, I was only 2 years old when these bikes where made. See the Tektro aero brakes and Bontranger trunk bag for the time-shift.
It's a Raleigh and a Sekine however, not a Schwinn.
My wife loves the Sprite, but I think for different reasons than I do. First, it was an anniversary present, second it's really shiny now, third - once it gets going it rolls pretty fast. The fact that's vintage isn't really a factor for her.
She likes that it's a 'touring bike' as well... Just makes it sound cooler that it was built with a specific purpose in mind like that and makes her (slightly) less jealous of my Miyata.

She enjoys riding it a lot more after the recent rebuild... All SunTour with alloy drops and SR cranks. Still weighs in at nearly 40lbs with the chrome wheels and, well, it's a Mixte so new wheels will help a little but not massively for weight. Her aluminum commuter is nearly 40lbs with a suspension fork so that doesn't make much difference to her.
The aero position of the drop bars is new to her, she likes the speed she gets on this bike (first ride out I was working hard to keep up with her) but after a few 20km trips her wrists hurt - could be the change in riding posture, or a fit/adjustment issue, we're still working that out. I recently got a donor bike that has bars much like the Sprite would have originally shipped with, so we may end up putting them on it instead. DT friction shifters are a bit of a new thing for her as well, her other bike is trigger SIS indexed so it takes her a bit of fiddling to find the gear even with the SunTours on there.
Old 08-20-12, 04:01 PM
josh.d

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Josh: Now that's a story I love. Glad to see that bike got a nice home, what's the paint scheme gonna be?
I think I'm just going to do solid pearl white, white Turbo and the brown tape like what is in the pic. The bike will be ridden by my girlfriend most of the time, it fits her perfectly and she fell in love with it over the weekend. Great thread, nice to see all the bikes and hear the story behind em'.
Old 08-20-12, 05:12 PM
rfj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my 1980 Centurion Elite. I got it from some guy who had it wasting in his truck bed for $35. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post14068928

As shown after getting some cables quickly from the local bike co-op.I have since removed the rack and will be replacing the cranks (warped) and brakeset (levers busted).

Old 08-20-12, 05:36 PM
02Pilot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
02: I have never ridden a Gitane, how is it?
The frame is, well, not stiff. I believe the French actually managed to construct a frame out of Twizzlers, or cheese, or something. In combination with the 700c x 32 Paselas, it soaks up bumps really well, and is a very comfortable bike for longer rides, but no one will ever describe the handling as anything approaching tight. I built it with this in mind (1x5, 42 x 14-28), so it's no problem.
Old 08-20-12, 08:15 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts

After 6 years in the rainforest of southern Belize, we moved to Mérida. After 3 years of solid searching, I went online and found this, in Guadalajara. It brought me to these forums.
Femco 1209 Hi Ten Steel. I've upgraded the hubs and rims and it's my wintertime, long distance bike.

And this one, a '93 Giant Prodigy, which got me back into cycling after a ten year hiatus to go back to the land. This one went along to Belize and got a shock absorbing fork for a few years. Golden Boy. My daily rider.
The rest are all low to mid level as well, and don't get ridden nearly as much, being in the US.

Old 08-21-12, 06:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
re: "Rum: Are those half clips?!?!"

uh huh, custom hack saw job ...
Old 08-21-12, 10:16 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Nova: I apologize Was a busy day, it's a nice Sekine.

RFJ: Lower end centurions also have a fond place in my heart, good going!

02:That does sound like a comfy ride.

Rum: You are indeed a kindred spirit.. at least when the hacksaws in your hand

I know we aren't the only ones guys! Where's the rest?!?!
Old 08-21-12, 12:03 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldpeddaller
This one was a 'shed find' when helping a neighbour to clear an out house in one of his homes. Lucky me!

Oldpedaller, your "shed find" looks like my Bianchi Eros would if the front half were spraybombed black. Which makes a good segue to my entry- to mid-level bike collection...

Said Bianchi entry-level model, ca 1991.

Another mid-to-lower-level Bianchi, ca 1988.

It's got some rust spots, and I recently snapped off one of the brake cable guides. Thinking about getting it powdercoated.

My Diamondback Ascent, ca 1988. These were well-regarded MTBs at the time, but mine is a notch or two (or three) from the top. I've removed those problematic shifters, derailleurs and U-brake doodads.

...and my '64 Armstrong. Sheldon's opinion was: "A generally low-end Raleigh model."

- Scott
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-21-12, 02:52 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, some really nice bikes on here! Kinda jealous that I only have one right now. Might get a winter project, but with a baby on the way we will see. Actually since I have been riding my wife is thinking about getting a bike so we can go out as a family, so might be getting her a bike for next year.

Here is my 1982 Schwinn Continental that I use for commuting and long distances. I have about 300 on it this season after only getting it a couple of months ago. Training to do a century ride here in September, and I can keep up with some of the lighter bikes when I go out on my training runs. The inquisitive looks I get when I pull up at a light or they catch up after I pass them and they see an all steel bike that weighs 30 lbs itself!

How my rig is when I am commuting:

At my turn around point on a 60 miler training ride, I have since then removed the "beaver tail" rack in back and will run it without it out since I seem to overload it when I do have a bag on it. I will probably snap a picture tonight on my way home since I have pulled that off.

And the coolest thing (IMO) is the original manual with the original purchase date in it. I bought it from the 2nd owner almost 30 years to the day after it was bought.
Old 08-21-12, 03:06 PM
Berylbite

Bikes: schwinn traveler, schwinn Madison

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
This Traveler is a part of me, I'd ride through cannon fire if needed. Flights of stairs? ride down them every day. Speed bump ahead? Bunny hop that #$% like a boss.

Suicide levers? Pshh yeah, just to troll my snooty cyclist friends out there.
Attached Images
traveler.jpg (101.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 08-21-12, 08:01 PM
peter_d
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

The Interclub was Gitane's entry level racer but it's one of my nicest riding bikes. The workmanship is also a cut above similar level Peugeots that i've worked on.
Attached Images
IMG_1809_1_1.jpg (101.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-21-12, 10:03 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

TS: Wow man, >.< I still find it hard to grasp low-mid with Bianchi written on it and drop bars. Very nice herd.. my favorite though has to be the low end raleigh Thanks for sharing. DB's in vintage are always fun too.

Mike: That's just the right touch of wacky for me! A fairing on a continental! I like how the tires add to the scheme btw!

Beryl: I like you style. And I love the schwinn logos on there too.

Pete: Very nice looking bike! Classy old school.
Old 08-21-12, 11:01 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott

I'd love to have one of those. I've been feigning for a Raleigh 3 speed lately

and a kitty!

Last edited by rotharpunc; 08-21-12 at 11:37 PM. Reason: kitty
Old 08-22-12, 12:56 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 151 Posts
This is my Raleigh MTB, don't know the model and it's to low end to matter. I bought this in 1987 or 88 straight after leaving high school with every cent I had. Many great memories with it and haven't ridden it possibly for 15 years or more.
I've got this strange idea to paint the frame and all the original components in 2 pack paint and clear coat everything so it sparkles then never ride it again, hang it on the wall or something

Old 08-22-12, 06:15 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
Nice it even has a flag!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-22-12, 06:40 AM
iacobelm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Nice it even has a flag!

What kind of rack is that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.