Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Integrated vs. Non-integrated seatpost clamp

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 05:03 AM
Berylbite

Bikes: schwinn traveler, schwinn Madison

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Hey fellas,

I'd like to hear your opinions on the integrated vs. non-integrated debate. I'm about te have a custom bike polo frame built and the builders only offer an integrated seat-post clamp. Polo is really hard on frames, lots of endo's and wheely turns and hoping and colliding and crashing. I feel that an integrated clamp is a real bad idea.

The builders have made about 200 frames now, the oldest of them being about 2 or 3 years old and there have been no clamp failures yet. However, many players have complained about seat-posts spinning about, forcing them to add coke-can shims to keep them in place. the builders claim that this was a seat tube diameter issue and that it has been resolved.

I've asked them if they could build me a frame with a non-integrated clamp to which they responded "for now no alternatives to the integrated seat clamp" This seems silly, It's not like it's harder to build right?
Old 05-19-15, 07:21 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
But you forget this is why you do things yourself, you want a certain spec.

A clamp on binder won't hold the post any tighter then a brazed on one will, assuming both are done well. A replaceable binder clamp will allow for replacement when a ham fisted rider over tightens and damages the bolt.

Does this possible frame have a long enough ST extension above the stays/TT junction to allow the brazed on binder to be cut off and the slot lengthened for a clamp on binder to be substituted? What's the ST OD? Is there a clamp on binder available that will fit? Andy.
Old 05-19-15, 08:54 AM
Berylbite

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have yet to talk to them about the ST extension. In the event that they insist on the integrated clamp I'll be sure to have lengthen it in the event of failure. How long of a ST extension do you suggest? I don't have specs for their tubes so I don't know the ST OD. The Inner diameter will be 27.2mm
Old 05-19-15, 09:03 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
there are a lot of people that have very strong opinions about this, and they all fall on the external clamp side. As a traditionalist, I would rather have integrated binder bolt. My track frame has two binder bolts, which seems like it might be a good idea for you. I would hate to ask for something that a builder didn't feel comfortable with doing. The separate clamps are not without their problems
Old 05-19-15, 12:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Of course there are Unstated specifics exactly what seat lug is to be used . it can be using a through Bolt, or one side is threaded and the bolt pulls, directly.

I found the Best fit is having the chosen seat post in hand, and hand reaming the seat tube ID to precisely fit that Post.
Old 05-19-15, 04:47 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Do they have a reason for wanting to do their own? Like you I think they should be tending to the more modern approach of a separate dongle for the reasons you give.

They ought to be able to produce a working integrated since reaming to 27.2 is a pretty on spec thing.

I don't know anything about polo frames, but I am a little surprised they are using a road standard size tube, why not a beefier one?
Old 05-19-15, 05:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
It's possible that the builder isn't into wondering from what they are set up to do. Perhaps they do batch building. Maybe they have had a bad experience with clamp on binders. Andy.
Old 05-20-15, 10:49 AM
Berylbite

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I believe that they insist on their integrated clamp because it bears their trade mark. It's a lovely engraved clamp. Here's the site with photos if you're interested.
Riding in Circles | Custom Frames

27.2mm is the standard because the sport evolved from road and track bikes. There are advantages to having your components being compatible with other polo bikes. This way if something fails, say for example your seat-post, then you can borrow another one for the rest of the match.

I think the play is to agree to their clamp and lengthen the ST extension just in case it someday fails.

Thanks for the input guys!