Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What have I Done!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What have I Done!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 09:18 AM
Bosock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What have I Done!

Well...

The daughter took my backup bike and slush fund had grown to a point that i could get about a $1400-1500 replacement. Usually I go ride everything and over analyze before my purchase. Was looking at something that would be my winter and fall ride with the occasional easy ride during the summer when I wanted a little change of pace or take a mellow cruise. Looking at a Giant Defy 3, Scott CRI, Look 566 and Obea Onix. All 105 equipped. The Look was 1499 but had to be purchased online...found one of the others mentioned above locally at the same price so supported local LBS...tho the Look did have rival flight deck. No Defy's in my size was left from last year and 2012 outside my price range...didnt want to go above slush fund. Wanted Orbea Onix but dealership wanted to order me in one from last year and build up even though they had that year of bike on the floor. On top of that they were locked on the 1675 price and that price was based on the worst wheels they could find...so i had to inform him I had to pursue another option. The backup bike i purchased was a 2011 Scott CR1 Comp with all Shimano 105 gruppo that they let me have for 1499...heard a lot of positive on the Scott so told them to bring in from their other shop and i would purchase unless it was a demo bike...it wasn't...so I bought it...what the heck back up bike right.

Once i got her home I took the supposedly not that comfortable, backup ride, on a leisurely 22 mile mellow prep ride before a big climb i had planned for the next day...as i started the ride I just couldn't ride the CR1 slow...it just kinda inspired me to give it to her and go...i came out of the seat and cranked the bike more on that single ride than i think i have the entire time i have ever ridden. I had a healthy climb (ride) scheduled for the next day and really just wanted to get in a smooth prep ride but the bike really seemed to make me want to go and go I did. The ride was also surprisingly smooth compared to the press and reviews i read on the bike. The 2008 Roubaix with the 8r carbon layup is probably the smoothest bike i have ever ridden...and the SL3 a little less smoother than the 2008 but more so than the Scott...but I felt pretty fresh after pushing fairly hard for 22 miles on the Scott. Only negative i noticed here is in sections with consecutive small whoops/defects in the road the bike does bounce which causes a little annoyance with pedaling. But the bike was smooth and I felt very comfortably positioned on the bike. It turned in to a little prep ride to a really fun ride. Well, my wheels for the Roubaix did not come in (Boyds), so i thought i would just take the Scott on the climb...figured the first ride on the new bike the night before was probably me just being a little excited on a new bike and a second ride would be more telling. Started the ride...same as before despite being a climb...i just felt like i wanted to go...bike very efficient at putting the power from my leg strokes to movement up the hill...no flex but not the immediate response of the SL3...hard to describe...more efficient than 2008 Roubaix but I do believe Roubaix SL3 bit stiffer...more rides will confirm but pretty sure on that one...plus Scott encourages you to climb out of saddle where Roubaix SL3 encourages you to stay in the saddle while being every bit, if not more efficient...both very different there. The Scott did great up the climb and again was a very comfortable ride with me periodically getting out of the saddle to give it to her. Where the Scott shined was on decent...neither Roubaix, 2008 or SL3, had anything on the Scott when it came to descending. I can truly say that is the fastest i ever came down that canyon. I felt confident, stable, and the bike cornered and held its line great at speed...truly confidence inspiring. Don't get me wrong, the Roubaix's are good at descending, just that the Scott, for me, was great at it. The Scott also descended that well with stock wheels which i am told are not the greatest (Alex aero 28s with conti ultra tyres) The wheels on my Roubaix are still not in yet so will take the Scott out on a 50 mile ride with several climbs today...see how i feel after a 25 mile ride on her. I will tell you i am truly impressed with the bike so far...she did fantastic on my climb through the canyon that day.

The problem...the bike doesn't fit the billing in which i wanted to use my backup bike for...so much for going on leisure rides between my bigger rides with this bike...i cant see taking anything slow on the bike. Also, due to how great the ride is and the difference in the ride compared to the Roubaix, I see problems deciding which i am going to pick for the day. The SL3 is a great bike and no matter what you are doing it excels, quick and flys through flat areas when you crank it, climbs like a goat in a comfortable seated position, and can ride all day and barely get fatigued from road chatter. But the Scott, though it may not be quite as stiff or as comfortable, descends like a mutha and has an inspiring ride quality that just makes you want to go fast...oh yea the bike is fast. Also please note that these assumptions are based on my unprofessional ride experience and when i say the Roubaix is stiffer i am not saying the Scott is not...i think it is a very stiff bike without noticeable flex..but you crank on an SL3 and that puppy responds immediately and goes...I can bring the SL3 to speed quicker...but again more rides on the two will be able to assess better. Does this mean I am going to have to get rid of the Scott for a different backup bike...NOT A CHANCE...the bikes are like having a daughter and son...they are different but you love them equally just maybe not the same...though i have only had the Scott a short time...i love it and the ride it provides so far...I will just have to go faster on my leisurely rides and just settle with the fact i will be sharing the time between the bikes more than i had planned...Scott will likely accompany me on rides with big descents...i already love descending on that bike.

By the way the new 105s are great as well...honestly...and i haven't weighed anything...their performance is on par and just a smooth and reliable as the Ultegra's on the Roubaix's. The fit and finish of the CR1 is nice...not fond of the seat and cant find anything good that is said on the wheel set...also the bar tape or bar could be a little more plush....but not going to change much right off that bat (bars probably first) as the ride currently is great...but that is another problem...wasn't planning on putting any money in my backup bike either...will have to rethink that one as the Roubaix, once it receives the Boyd tires, will be totally set. So what have I done...by not doing my research i have went out and purchased a backup bike that gives me almost, if not as much, of an awe inspiring riding experience as my main bike and will make me constantly debate and struggle over which one i am going to take out and ride any particular day and night just ... i don't see it being the bike that sets in the corner that you yank out on those nasty rainy or winter days that i planned it to be...shucks. Not a problem i am going to mind...we work to enjoy our hobbies and I just had to tell you all how happy and totally surprised i am with the new addition to my stable. This was a $1500 bike that is giving me this level of performance...you got to love it and the times we ride in...we truly have some great bikes to choose and enjoh. Sorry for the long post...just wanted to share the experience.
Old 03-24-12, 09:28 AM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bosock
..but you crank on an SL3 and that puppy responds immediately and goes...I can bring the SL3 to speed quicker...but again more rides on the two will be able to assess better...
This... could be nothing more than the wheel you had. When I test rode Roubaix, I found it contrary in favor for CR1 when using same wheelset. Roubaix did dampen the road little more but also felt a little slower up to speed... it kind of felt a little dead to me (Combined too much road "suspension" and less zippy).
My suggestion, swap the wheel in and see what you think Would love to have backup bike and main bike that are so neck to neck myself! Congratulation on your new purchase!
Old 03-24-12, 09:29 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Old 03-24-12, 09:29 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Congratulations! It's great to have to make those kinds of decisions.
Old 03-24-12, 09:33 AM
KoYak

Bikes: Iron Horse Warrior Expert, Dahon MU P8, Bacchetta Giro 26, HP Velotechnik Grasshopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats on your purchase of a CR1. i bought my CR1 in 2010 and I echo your impressions. It is a fantastic bike!

BTW - If you are having issues deciding which bike to ride, I recommend you putting 1300 gram set of wheels on the CR1 like I did. Then you will reach for the CR1 every time :-). The light wheels transform my CR1 into a climbing machine that is looking for a better engine :-).
Old 03-24-12, 09:38 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess it's bitter sweet, or whatever you want to call it. I will call it a good day whenever a cyclist brings home a new bike My backup bike is my Allez, which is a fantastic bike but nowhere close the carbon bike in regards to go, comfort or ride-ability. This makes it very very difficult to ever want to ride the Spesh over the SL. I always find it hard to buy something NEW as a backup to something a little LESS new. I am always looking for upgrades. Good luck, I'm sure you will figure out when and why to ride each.
Old 03-24-12, 10:08 AM
Bosock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bored117...what Roubaix did you try. I do feel the 2008 is more sluggish then the CR1...the SL3 is very responsive...i had the Axis 3.0 on it for a period and tried friends Mavic wheels and the bike seemed to have every bit of get-up-and-go with both sets...the SL3 is getting a set of new Boyds any day and very interested in the ride then. But you bring up a good point and may try the axis 3.0 on the CR1...interested in seeing how it descends with those wheels as well as to me that is the CR1s strong point and the area it truly shines. I asked on the forum if anyone had any info on the different wheelsets...alex 28 and DT swiss axis 3.0 with no feedback received...i need to determine which set to place on the scott and then sell the other and build the slush fund up to get the CR1 a set of Boyds or maybe Souls. May work on getting it a set of ENVE compact bars as well...man i have already started...I am going to end up driving the wife mad upgrading two road bikes. Thanks for the congrats all...yea we do have some fantastic options out there dont we.
Old 03-24-12, 10:55 AM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
What a great problem to have. I also have a 2011 Scott CR1 but mine is built up with 10 speed Tiagra. I love this bike and can't wait to upgrade the wheels with a set of Souls.
Old 03-24-12, 03:20 PM
St_Pete_Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you made a great choice! I love my 2011 CR1 (Rival/Ksyrium Elite) - comfortable without feeling sluggish. Have fun riding!
Old 03-24-12, 03:37 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I just picked up a 2012 CR1 Team yesterday and put my Boyds on it. Only took it for a quick 12 miles today with one decent hill and I was impressed. I was very happy with the way it handled cornering also. I have some much longer rides planned shortly so hopefully I will be as impressed.
Old 03-24-12, 06:28 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
summary plz
Old 03-24-12, 06:35 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by echotraveler
summary plz
He bought a new bike and is happy with it.
Old 03-24-12, 06:54 PM
palesaint

Bikes: 2008 fetish illustre

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GP
Then why is he asking "What have I done!"?
Old 03-24-12, 10:58 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
giggles.

α
Old 03-25-12, 04:55 AM
Bosock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
palesaint...sorry for long post...just wanted to give history...to summarize...went to buy a backup bike (for winter and leisurely rides) and focused my search on budget limit instead of my typical, anal retentive research as it was only going to be a backup with limited purpose...scored a good deal on 2011 Scott CR1 with 105 flight deck. Bike turned out to be a far better ride than one would anticipate for the price with some great ride characteristics. What have I done...i ended up getting a bike that doesnt fit anything i had targeted for the backup role and because of the quality of ride, fact it is a different ride than my primary, and it is a joy to ride, it will instead likely compete for prime time with my primary bike...to be honest...it is a great problem.

GP...yes...if i had to put a one liner down that would be very close to it.

Took the bike on a 50 miler and again it performed great...i feel a little more fatigued in upper body than the Roubaix on same route but nothing to complain about...great riding experience.
Old 03-25-12, 05:12 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tl;Dr

Thanks for the one sentence summary, GP
Old 03-25-12, 05:14 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Placebo is a wonderful drug.
Old 03-25-12, 05:16 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
summary plz
Yeah. Sheesh.

BTW the Defy 3 does not have 105 on it. Just sayin'.
Old 03-25-12, 05:23 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
That is It.

Old 03-25-12, 06:13 AM
Jaymadd

Bikes: 2011 Boardman Team Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much for the summary report.
Old 03-25-12, 08:24 AM
Jandro 

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wall of Text crits you for over 9000... it's very effective. You die.
Old 03-25-12, 08:30 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
summary plz
Dear penthouse forum,

I never thought it would happen to me...