Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

they closed all the decent routes to work

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 04:00 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts

So I had to find a new route. My fair city is hosting and "Arts Fest," which involves shutting down a lot of streets. I decided to go down the main drag in protest. Interestingly, it turned out not to be that bad. There is a rarely-used center turn lane which allows easy passing. I usually go another route during Arts Fest, which involves a 2 lane one way street that should allow easy passing, but it never works out that way. I'm trying to decide how to get home, and having a hard time of it.
Old 07-08-15, 04:12 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
We have a couple of events (plus graduation!) that narrow my favorite street to one lane home-bound for 3-4 work days at a time. I've got another route I use if I remember about them that adds about 2 miles to the trip. Otherwise I have to go a block out of my way.

Note that my normal route involves going down the main thoroughfare downtown. Most of the traffic is on the interstate or another limited access road.
Old 07-08-15, 04:23 PM
The Quiet One

Bikes: Felt Z100, Trek 720

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is Wisconsin, there are two seasons winter and construction. All the less traveled routes I take are closed for construction. It's making cycling more difficult and nerve wracking. It looks like some of them may be opening back up soon. I'm hoping the rest of the summer will be better.
Old 07-08-15, 04:43 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Around here the City is trying, and succeeding, to make it impossible to get around. Not only wrecking major streets but also bike path.

Found out today that what I thought was a highly inventive (I was half lost in residentials) detour I was making up....ended up already having Strava segments with "detour" in the names
Old 07-08-15, 04:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

thanks for sharing your frustrations, makes me feel better. Turns out that the way home is easier, although the tendency of people around here to use side streets no matter what makes the traffic a little annoying. When they find out they are going through a maze, they speed up, no matter how inappropriate.
Old 07-08-15, 05:44 PM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Just cause I feel the need to kvetch, last Saturday they decided to close the pedestrian/cycle routes on all bridges for the 4th of July. I crossed from Manhattan to Brooklyn, saw a bunch of cops on the other side, and found out that there was no way back. There was no warning, no signs, nothing, until after I crossed. Later, I tried anyway and sure enough they wouldn't let me cross the Manhattan Bridge. But the cop said, "The Williamsburg should be open." I didn't believe him, but went up there anyway, and sure enough, it was closed too. Why do cops feel the need to make s*#t up? So then it was off to find the subway.
Old 07-09-15, 05:20 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've been "forced" onto the longer, less traveled and more scenic route this summer, by construction. I think I'll cope somehow
Old 07-09-15, 06:40 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Quiet One
Here is Wisconsin, there are two seasons winter and construction. All the less traveled routes I take are closed for construction. It's making cycling more difficult and nerve wracking. It looks like some of them may be opening back up soon. I'm hoping the rest of the summer will be better.
LOL Sounds like KC! The only worry I have is the metal plates. They're going to bite me someday.
Old 07-09-15, 06:48 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
My usual commute involves a couple obstacles that can be crossed at only a few spots. I have many route options, but all of them go over the same bridge at approx. the halfway point. And if they're doing work anywhere on the road that bridge is on, they close the whole section of road, even though there is usually nothing wrong with the bridge.

My solution is to get off the bike, and to walk up to the guy manning the roadblock (assuming there is such a guy) and ask if a bicyclist (or pedestrian) can get through as far as that bridge (where I can get on the canal path if the road is not an option). So far, they've always let me. Sometimes they give specific instructions-- one time they had me walk behind a certain building where wires had blown down in front of the building.
Old 07-09-15, 06:50 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Originally Posted by wilfried
...But the cop said, "The Williamsburg should be open."...
But he was right. It should have been open. You could have replied, "yes, and this one should be open too!" but of course that wouldn't have done any good. Policemen have no sense of humor.
Old 07-09-15, 08:04 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around here it isn't construction, but the damn flooding which is starting to wash out the MUP. A large chunk has fallen off one section which is comprised of a 10 foot drop off to a creek's bank...that took out about 1/4 of the trail. It's grown slightly this week as well. Also, a nice size oak was down across the trail this morning, and many of the side channels are pretty much full. Another day of hard rain (supposedly tomorrow) and I'll get back on the roads.
Old 07-09-15, 02:02 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

found a fairly direct route which uses an alley for the last three blocks. I'm happy to report that it has started to pour on the "artists" in their tents just outside my window. Does that make me a bad person?
Old 07-09-15, 06:25 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
My city, Toronto, is hosting the PanAm Games and there will road closures and congestions. Luckily, it won't affect where I commute.
Old 07-10-15, 06:29 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm happy to report that it has started to pour on the "artists" in their tents just outside my window. Does that make me a bad person?
Your call! I suggest you enjoy what happiness comes your way and not worry about it.

Is German the only language that has its own word for this (Schadenfreude)?
Old 07-10-15, 07:09 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Our city has had an on-going procession of sewer-line projects that have closed various streets that I commute on from time to time. Fortunately, there have always decent alternative routes. I don't mind the occasional closures for parades, street festivals, concerts and art shows. Those sort of things are what make life in the city more colorful and enjoyable. I have ridden downtown with friends on the weekends sometimes when we didn't realize there was some sort of festival going on, with many streets closed and our usual coffee shops packed with people. I can put up with that.
Old 07-10-15, 04:02 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
If it's not a pay event, you can usually just get off your bike and walk through it as well...
Old 07-10-15, 05:13 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
We have lots of events on the West Side (of L.A.) that close off streets but mostly on weekends so my commute is rarely effected.

Still, it upsets my wife on our Sunday morning rides; she's not good with changes in her routine...
Old 07-14-15, 11:27 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
My regular route to work involves a couple of bottlenecks, and the one with ad pavement was having the pavement removed as I rode to work this morning. This could make for an interesting ride home.
Old 07-20-15, 01:09 PM
EGUNWT

Bikes: Surly. 4 of them.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cops here are pretty cool about letting me go through stuff like art festivals and whatnot being set up. It's a different story after they open, but during setup it's not a big deal here. I just stop next to it, ask if I can ride through carefully, and they wave me on. No big thing.
Old 07-20-15, 01:36 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
They have regular flagmen on the MUP here at a sewer construction site. It's a bit ridiculous having two people dedicated to bike traffic. Stopped me this morning on the way in for a minute or so. Sucks having to stop abruptly when it's hot out. 85F and 1000% humidity at 8:30 am.
Old 07-21-15, 04:37 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
For a few months, they were rebuilding a bridge which was the only passage across a river on my south, then west commute. Alternate commute was west, then south, a route I hadn't done before, and it turned out to be the same mileage and a tad more charming than my regular route. I thought it would be longer and had not anticipated the beauty of some of the secondary streets. Closed roads are an excellent avenue to an open mind...