Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How should I lock my bike up for school?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 07:51 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts

I'm going to be a freshman at Virginia Tech (Big school), and I am bringing my Trek Fuel. So how should I go about locking this up?

I'm at least going to buy a mini-u lock and run that through the seat tube and rear wheel. (Will that even fit) But what about the front wheel?

I'll either install a bolt-on front skewer OR just lock the front and rear wheel with a long cable and have a u-lock to the frame. I wonder what's best.
Old 08-08-08, 08:06 PM
pax139

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should put the lock through the front wheel if any since that one is easier to steal. Are bike theft rates high at Virginia Tech? When I went to school, almost every bike I knew that got stolen was because someone didn't lock it up. But I have also heard of many schools where any nice bike left out at night will get jacked.
Old 08-08-08, 08:21 PM
advicepig

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You should definitely lock both wheels. You can get a rear wheel off in two seconds if you've had any practice. I used a u lock with a really thick cable as well. The cable goes through the front wheel and the u lock locks the frame and rear wheel to something. It's also a good idea to use a seat post bolt instead of a quick release.
Old 08-08-08, 08:29 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Here's what I do. The lock goes through the rear wheel inside the rear triangle. It can straddle the seat stays if you want but it doesn't have to since you can't remove the wheel when it's locked like that. I use a heavy cable for the front wheel and a light one for the seat. It also helps to have a beat up looking old bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
locking.JPG (29.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg
lock.JPG (27.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-08-08, 08:32 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
welcome to the burg! get your bike registered at tech, they claim they impound if you don't have it registered. it's free, at any rate. https://www.police.vt.edu/bike%20safe...ion%202-26.htm. theft is reasonably low at VT, but saddles and posts are getting stolen lately. locking up at squires student center, either the top (mall side) or bottom (downtown, college, ave side) are good bets. downtown you can lock up, just be a bit better about it. Bollo's Cafe has a big bike scene, lock up there and theives won't touch it. Newman library has a large bike rack out font.

how's that for some advice? pm if you got more questions.
Old 08-08-08, 08:43 PM
EJ123
djentleman

I'm staying at Lee Hall, and I saw some bike racks out there. I'm planning to add a bolt on seat-clamp, but I think I will go ahead and get a 6 foot cable lock, and a mini-u lock.

I can't wait till school. VT is awesome. Are you a student there?
Old 08-08-08, 09:27 PM
z415

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get a thin cable to attach your seatpost/saddle to the rear triangle area. They are thin and easy to cut through, but I would assume it makes a less tempting target.

It'll cost about $5 or so.
Old 08-08-08, 09:46 PM
ATAC49er
Banned

Bikes: Pacific hardtail (frame only right now); Weyless SP (frame/fork right now); Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 custom build-up (fully functional)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3-pc. locking skewer replacements are available at pricepoint.com for $40+shipping.

Long cables (3/8" thick) are available at W-M for less than $20. Master Lock Python is in the RV section for $18. Something like 5' of cable, lock is adjustable along the length of the cable. The 3/8" cable is something like 6-9' long -- I have one, and a security padlock.
Old 08-09-08, 05:10 AM
04jtb

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How I do it-

If image not clear-
Mini U-Lock from front wheel to Downtube.
Armoured cable lock around bike rack, seattube and rear wheel, secured tightly so bike can't fall.
Also lock trunk bag to rack and also lock zip shut (2 Padlocks)

i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/
Old 08-09-08, 08:20 AM
nahh
on your left.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@EJ123- I'm not a student, just a teenage local and on staff for the summer. Tech is on the list, but i still have..a year to decide.

most racks on campus are safe, the only time i'd watch out is around football games. the 6ft cable is a good idea. and use Hokie Spokes for your LBS while you're here. it's right by campus, and pretty good.
Old 08-09-08, 09:47 AM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you talking about locking your bike while going to class, or locking it up at the dorms?

I don't think I would leave that bike locked up anywhere. Bring it into your dorm room and figure out a wall mount to keep it out of the way. Buy a cheap used or new-low-end bike to get you around campus.
Old 08-09-08, 09:59 AM
EJ123
djentleman

Originally Posted by nahh
@EJ123- I'm not a student, just a teenage local and on staff for the summer. Tech is on the list, but i still have..a year to decide.

most racks on campus are safe, the only time i'd watch out is around football games. the 6ft cable is a good idea. and use Hokie Spokes for your LBS while you're here. it's right by campus, and pretty good.
Haha, yup, I know the head mechanic at HS, who's going to be a freshman at VT also. Nice guy. So you figure with two locks and a bolt on seat clamp that I'll be good to go?
Old 08-09-08, 10:07 AM
Myqul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your gonna use a min u,the kryptonite fahgettaboudit mini u is an absolute beast. The ony way someones getting your bike is with power tools. The shackle is too wide for even bolt cutters and the cross bar is the size of one of those small 25cl wine bottles. Weighs a ton though but you could leave it where you regularly lock up
Old 08-09-08, 10:51 AM
Bjalf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use Glock magazines for handles?

... ooh, that was in very, very bad taste But I thought of it before I saw the name of the school.
Old 08-09-08, 11:17 AM
EJ123
djentleman

I really like the kryptonite fahgettaboudit, but expensive, and I wouldn't be able to lock the wheels.

How about:
Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit (or something cheaper)
6 foot cable locking both wheels
front and rear bolt skewers
Old 08-09-08, 11:18 AM
EJ123
djentleman

Originally Posted by Bjalf
Use Glock magazines for handles?

... ooh, that was in very, very bad taste But I thought of it before I saw the name of the school.
Ha, very funny
Old 08-09-08, 11:35 AM
Myqul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EJ123
I really like the kryptonite fahgettaboudit, but expensive, and I wouldn't be able to lock the wheels.

How about:
Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit (or something cheaper)
6 foot cable locking both wheels
front and rear bolt skewers
Depends how big you wheels are. Mine are 1.25"" racing type wheels. I can get the shackle through both chainstays, back wheel and around a sheffield stand. I then use a kryptonite evolution mini u for the fron wheel
Old 08-09-08, 11:56 AM
EJ123
djentleman

I changed my mind. I'm going with the Kryptonite Evolution Mini Mygul after a friend told me that that lock is super.

So it's not 'overkill' to have a mini u lock on the wheel (in between the seat and chainstay) and a mini u lock on the front? I may put a cheap u-lock on the front. Like a Sette Titan lock
Old 08-09-08, 12:29 PM
Myqul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to go for the onguard pitbull mini instead of the krypto evo mini cuz the pitbull is double deadlocked while the evo is only locked on one side which means you have to saw through both arms of the shackle to get it off with the evo you only have to saw through one side of the shackle. Plus i think the pitbull is cheaper than the evo.

And no 2 u locks isnt over kill. I use three. fagettabouttit mini u,abus granit x and the krypto evo - but then again i'm paranoid
Old 08-09-08, 12:51 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I'm staying at Lee Hall, and I saw some bike racks out there. I'm planning to add a bolt on seat-clamp, but I think I will go ahead and get a 6 foot cable lock, and a mini-u lock.

I can't wait till school. VT is awesome. Are you a student there?
I've always (decades) used a 6 foot cable, some with a padlock, now with an integral combination lock. It goes throught both wheels and the rear triangle, and around a stationary object. I had this broken once, by someone who was serious and carrying a big cutter.

With a u-lock, my friends would remive the front wheel and place it near the rear wheel, then run the ulock thru both wheels and the seat tube, then close the u-lock around a stationary object like a bike rack post, signpost, or whatever.

Make everything other than the wheels bolted, not quick-released.

But determined pro's can't be stopped.
Old 08-09-08, 12:52 PM
nahh
on your left.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, for the location 2 locks with a bolted seatpost is enough. the mech at HS is a friend of mine also; but i didn't want to be like "i like the LBS because i know the people", which is true, but they also have great service.
Old 08-10-08, 07:34 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'm going to be a freshman at Virginia Tech (Big school), and I am bringing my Trek Fuel. So how should I go about locking this up?
Seriously.

Lock your Fuel up in your room. If there isn't enough space, leave it home. Get yourself a disposable POS to use around campus.
Old 08-10-08, 09:49 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I'll echo the above and earlier posts: I googled that bike and since it is quite an expensive bike, it doesn't make sense to let it live outdoors and be your commuter. Also, I'm not familiar with locking up bikes that don't have a rigid frame. Could the thieves somehow try to disconnect the suspension to defeat the locks?

I would suggest you get a cheap rigid bike as your college bike and keep the Trek at your parents' house, or arrange for secure indoor storage for the Trek if you need it at college for competition or something like that.
Old 08-10-08, 11:25 AM
geo8rge

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lots of theft threads. +1 on getting a cheaper bike. I did research emailing people with theft postings on craigslist, theft of unlocked bike from owners home was fairly popular. I assume this is your first year in the dorms, if you have any expensive property it will become a topic of conversation, eventually getting around to people who steal expensive property. I would go to VT with a cheaper single speed folding bike and when you understand the 'scene' in VT decide if you want the Fuel in your life, or sell it.

https://www.collegiatetimes.com/stori..._in_blacksburg
Old 08-10-08, 11:31 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by geo8rge
Lots of theft threads. +1 on getting a cheaper bike. I did research emailing people with theft postings on craigslist, theft of unlocked bike from owners home was fairly popular. I assume this is your first year in the dorms, if you have any expensive property it will become a topic of conversation, eventually getting around to people who steal expensive property.
Although it makes sense that theft would happen this way, it doesn't. It's from people who lock up bikes worth more than $50 on campus for any length of time with anything besides ultra shyte components. Campuses are the worst.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.