Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trainer Recommendations?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trainer Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 11:12 AM
hanknstein
Cranky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trainer Recommendations?

Hi

I need to get a new trainer for the home (currently have a cyclops fluid trainer at the office). I am a club rider "A" level & like to do intervals or just easy workout on it during the week when I can't get out. I will be using my nice road bike with this setup as my ancient bike is at the office setup. I don't use power meters or any of that.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 03-23-12, 11:46 AM
Smallguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nothing wrong with getting a second Cycleops unit

but if it was me I'd buy a kurt kinetic pro. I've broken a cyclops unit once and next time I'll warranty and get a kurt

other options would be quality rollers.. you can do intervals on e-motion rollers

or there is always a virtual reality unit like the Tacx systems
Old 03-23-12, 11:55 AM
badhat
impressive member

Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
in terms of road feel lemond revolutions are the best trainers on the market by far and have a direct cassette engage so you dont have to deal with burning through training tires or anything.
Old 03-23-12, 01:00 PM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my Kurt Kinetic Rock n Roll. It's big, though.

If you're planning on using a trainer at any races, take size and portability into consideration. I wasn't planning to race before the Rock n Roll purchase. I'm racing this year, and sort of wishing now I'd gotten the smaller Road Machine trainer instead.
Old 03-23-12, 03:01 PM
hanknstein
Cranky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks All!
Old 03-24-12, 04:46 AM
mikerhymeswith
Officially Foul Mouthed

Bikes: Ti IF PlanetX, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1upUSA; probably most compact; no front wheel block needed; power curve similar to road; very easy to mount/dismount bike
Old 03-24-12, 09:00 AM
whoiswes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KK Road Machine or Rock n Roll.
Old 03-24-12, 09:31 AM
snowsubi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you will be pleased with any of the above (Cyclops, KurtKinetic, IupUSA, or the LeMond). Just need to figure out which one suits your needs (size, price, noise level, etc.)
Old 03-24-12, 09:32 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 126 Times in 81 Posts
1upUSA or KK. I have a KK R&R. Great for home, but has a wide footprint.
Old 03-24-12, 09:34 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had a KK road machine for the last 2.5 years. No issues at all, and I've run that thing hard!!
Old 03-24-12, 09:54 AM
kstephens

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
I also have the KK road machine, and it has been great. I have never seen the 1UP in person, however, I have one of their bike racks and it is designed and engineered well - So I wouldn't hesitate to buy any more of their products as well.
Old 03-24-12, 06:06 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hanknstein
Hi

I need to get a new trainer for the home (currently have a cyclops fluid trainer at the office). I am a club rider "A" level & like to do intervals or just easy workout on it during the week when I can't get out. I will be using my nice road bike with this setup as my ancient bike is at the office setup. I don't use power meters or any of that.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
The Inside Ride E-motion rollers I have for sale at the marketplace section would be perfect, seriously. It's the most real life like riding you would get indoors, and you can do intervals and event out of saddle sprints. These things are amazing.
Old 03-25-12, 03:36 AM
pat5319

Bikes: Seven Axiom Ti, Trek 620, Masi cylocross (steel). Masi Souleville 8spd, Fat Chance Mtn. (steel), Schwinn Triple Bar cruiser, Mazi Speciale Fix/single, Schwinn Typhoon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
do get one thar requires that requires attach the forks to it, will break them esp. carbon. get one that leaves fr wheel in !!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-12, 04:24 PM
vantassell
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a lemond revolution this winter and love it. Super easy to setup ( as easy as swapping a rear wheel) and it feels great. I've had a cheap mag trainer, rollers, 1upUSA, and a kk fluid trainer. The lemons is far better than the rest.

The main complaint that people have with it is the noise. I can easily hear netflix on my $30 computer speakers, unless I'm doing hard intervals (higher than 80% FTP). If I'm going that hard I can't really pay attention to a show anyway, so the noise is the least of my problems.
Old 03-25-12, 07:52 PM
GDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for KK Road Machine & get the pro flywheel as its great for doing long endurance type workouts

I had a Blackburn Mag that lasted about 7 years and then the bearings completely wore out. The Kurt is a major step up over the mag drive of the Blackburn. I've had mine now for about 3 months and I really like it alot. Decided against the RnRoll as it was not portable to drop in the trunk of the car or truck to take to a weekend event.
Old 03-26-12, 11:34 AM
jibjab1978

Bikes: 2013 Lynskey R230, 2012 Focus Izalco Pro 3.0, 2013 All-City Space Horse, 2009 Kona Kapu (RIP)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 for the Kinetic Rock & Roll Trainer with the pro flywheel. It's awesome. I use it when I'm working out to Sufferfest. Never had so much fun inside on a trainer.