Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What fenders for new Trek 7.2?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 09:26 AM
davidwring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently bought a new Trek 7.2 FX and want to get fenders for them. I've seen good reports on SKS and Planet Bike. It seems I'd want the ones with mudflaps, too. But what size? The tires are 700 x 35.

Love some recommendations.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 07-31-13, 11:19 AM
Foriel

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus sport, 2012 Trek Marlin 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a specialized sirrus sport and I have the planet bike ones. With that said, some days I love them and some days I hate them... They function very well but im constantly adjusting them due to them rubbing somewhere. I only spent 45$$ on them so many take a look at more expensive ones if you have the budget.

Also I am very new to the forum world. This is actually my first forum i have joined. Can someone help me out with putting a profile picture haha
Old 07-31-13, 11:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Trek has fenders , under their Bontrager brand , the shop will help you put them On.

35 +10, ..45~50 .. thats a good start , wider may be fine, thats more aesthetics then, your choice..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-31-13 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-31-13, 11:57 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2531 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by Foriel
I have a specialized sirrus sport and I have the planet bike ones. With that said, some days I love them and some days I hate them... They function very well but im constantly adjusting them due to them rubbing somewhere. I only spent 45$$ on them so many take a look at more expensive ones if you have the budget.

Also I am very new to the forum world. This is actually my first forum i have joined. Can someone help me out with putting a profile picture haha
Love the Specialized Sirrus line. Also love my Planet Bike fenders. Paid only $29 and that was for the giant ones that fit over 2.125" tires. Have another commuter that came with more expensive aluminum fenders... until I looked closely one day. Planet Bike. And plastic! Seriously. What's not to like? As far as a profile picture...make sure you are logged in... at the top right of the screen beside your user name you will see: Notifications, Profile, Settings and Log Out. Go into Settings. To the left of that screen go down till you see 'edit Avatar'. You can either upload a picture you have on your computer or link to one that is at a stable location on the web. Have fun, I never bother with such things.You owe me for the time its taken me to research this on your behalf.

H
Old 07-31-13, 04:37 PM
dtaylorl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the planet bike Cascadias on my 7.2fx. There isn't a ton of clearance between them and the tires, but it is enough and hasn't been an issue. I just bought the "Hybrid" size.
Old 07-31-13, 05:02 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For Planet Bike fenders,you'll want the 'Hybrid' size. For SKS,you'll want whatever will fit over your tires(they come in many sizes).

Mudflaps can always be added later. I use heavy-duty rubber tool box liner and attach it with heavy-duty double sided tape. My homemade flaps are usually better than the skimpy ones that come stock on alot of fenders.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-01-13, 08:04 AM
davidwring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the tips. Love the forum already!
Old 08-01-13, 10:50 AM
phulin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd just like to plug the SKS Longboards. Best coverage on the market, and that's really the only thing that matters. You want the 45mm size.
Old 08-02-13, 06:01 PM
justme23

Bikes: 96 GT Talera, 2000 Marin Sausalito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[h=1]Pyramid Road / Hybrid Full Fenders - Black[/h] I put these on my hybrid with 700x35 tires work great.I ordered through Niagara cycle works on Amazon.