Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-15, 08:04 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
You're making those names up.
Complex 1 was from a prison movie.
Old 10-21-15, 08:05 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why are northeast people doing vo2max in October? Honest question. I feel like I were doing any significant intensity now, I would be useless when the racing season starts in March.
Old 10-21-15, 08:08 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Increasing vo2 ups FTP ceiling, increasing FTP increases endurance wattage which pays off in bigger base, bigger base pays off next season. Assuming it doesn't make you hate your bike.

Which leads to...
Today, 4hrs with 5x5 vo2.
Old 10-21-15, 08:28 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Why are northeast people doing vo2max in October? Honest question. I feel like I were doing any significant intensity now, I would be useless when the racing season starts in March.
cross

on that note yesterday was 5*4' hill repeats on the cross bike in the woods followed by a bunch of single track stuff. TKP made fun of my slowness on strava

today was tempo on the fixed gear.

Last edited by mike868y; 10-21-15 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-21-15, 08:37 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Ten pounds of **** in a five pound bag.
Old 10-21-15, 08:47 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
So in my first week of my off-season, I did 616 tss (88/avg per ride). I may be setting the bar a bit high for myself here as far as being able to continue ramping up tss, it's going to have to come from the intensity side of the equation as opposed to duration, I imagine.
Old 10-21-15, 09:14 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
cross
This. That said, I'm doing only a couple of VO2 workouts as part of a mini-block to prep for my biggest target race of the fall, Cycle-Smart International in Northampton. Tons of VO2 would just burn me out, especially since my overall fitness as measured by CTL has been steadily declining since early September. And after CSI I have only a handful of races left, I'm not racing hard into December.
Old 10-21-15, 09:28 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Old people need to do it year round. That the system that deteriorates most as we age. I've done two VO2 max workouts in the last week.

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-21-15, 09:50 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grolby
This. That said, I'm doing only a couple of VO2 workouts as part of a mini-block to prep for my biggest target race of the fall, Cycle-Smart International in Northampton. Tons of VO2 would just burn me out, especially since my overall fitness as measured by CTL has been steadily declining since early September. And after CSI I have only a handful of races left, I'm not racing hard into December.

so so so bummed to be missing this because of work

also, i'm kind of just doing VO2 because I think my VO2 is pretty weak and it's pretty important for the races I want to do well in.
Old 10-21-15, 09:57 AM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Old people need to do it year round. That the system that deteriorates most as we age. I've done two VO2 max workouts in the last week.
I'm not admitting to be old but I just read Friel's article on training over 50 and he puts up a good argument for this ^^
Old 10-21-15, 10:01 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Northeast people are different...just read the northeast racing thread.

Joe Friel released a book Fast after 50. Here is an excerpt written by Friel. And below a quote from the Velonews article.

That typically means training anaerobically — at or above the lactate threshold. For experienced endurance athletes, an exercise regimen based solely on long, slow distance (LSD) will do little to improve or even maintain your aerobic fitness status over the years.

Granted, that does not address seasonal fluctuations in training intensity, rest intervals or peaking for a race. However, year round intensity does seem to offer benefits. And even though the Fast after 50 title seems to imply that degradation starts at 50...think again. It is more like 30.

Maybe those northeast people are just smart. Nah.

Last edited by Hermes; 10-21-15 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-21-15, 10:23 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
No VO2 or structured work for me. Rode to work yesterday to try and get some time on the bike. 44 miles with 2000 feet of climbing. Drafted a truck on a descent, which was fun. Broke a rear derailleur cable, which was crappy. My derailleur is messed up from all the crashing and chain is super worn so bike rides like a POS. Ordered a chain, cassette, cables, housing, and derailleur last night for Thursday delivery. Hopefully I find time to replace everything before Saturday.
Old 10-21-15, 10:24 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes

Joe Friel released a book Fast after 50. Here is an excerpt written by Friel. And below a quote from the Velonews article.

That typically means training anaerobically — at or above the lactate threshold. For experienced endurance athletes, an exercise regimen based solely on long, slow distance (LSD) will do little to improve or even maintain your aerobic fitness status over the years.

Granted, that does not address seasonal fluctuations in training intensity, rest intervals or peaking for a race. However, year round intensity does seem to offer benefits. And even though the Fast after 50 title seems to imply that degradation starts at 50...think again. It is more like 30.

enhanced.
Old 10-21-15, 10:30 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

I need to get a copy of that book (even though I'm a few years shy of getting an AARP card). The excerpts I've seen make a lot of sense to me.
Old 10-21-15, 11:38 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Hammered a bit last night after work.

Passed a group that seemed to be going hard, and tried to make sure they didn't come around. For minutes I could hear them coasting behind me, while I hammered away. Damn, either I'm weak or they're strong, I thought.

Turned around after a few minutes and nobody was there - it was my chain I kept hearing! Kept me motivated at least.

my race videos
Old 10-21-15, 11:46 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Turned around after a few minutes and nobody was there - it was my chain I kept hearing! Kept me motivated at least.
this happens to me all the time. will be otf and ride by a wall or something. the echo of my bike will make me think I'm being caught.

like a dog dragging something by the leash and being afraid of it.
Old 10-21-15, 11:53 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, hmm. I don't really read that as saying "older athletes need to do vo2max intervals year round." My plan on the bike for the next few months was lots of tempo and threshold, and basically no intensity intervals. I have seen many comments from Friel in the past along the lines of "some athletes believe... they should do only intervals and do them year round. A few may be able to get away with that, but I think I’d soon become burned out from trying to get up for high-intensity intervals."

I did just order the book & will read it, though.
Old 10-21-15, 12:31 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Turns out this Prilosec is actually doing something for my gut... I've been feeling better over the past few days.

Was able to kick down 3hrs at a solid (for me) ~180w AP this morning (harder on climbs), 1hr at a high tempo yesterday and 2hrs on the MTB Sun, mostly screwing around.

I realize that the Prilosec is mainly just treating my symptoms (sour, upset stomach and nausea) and not necessarily the underlying cause, so it may be a couple months or more before I'm really in the clear with this, but at least I can ride. After speaking with the doc yesterday, we both decided that it was stupid that the first doc. I saw didn't request a stool antigen test for H. Pylori - Omeprazole causes false negatives, of course.

Anyway, long story short: I'm happy to be riding, felt great this morning. Looking forward to kicking down some more MTB tomorrow, and then 5+ hrs on the road on Sat!!!
Old 10-21-15, 12:42 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think its a pretty good idea to 'stay in touch' with all training levels year round while the particular emphasis can change based on the season. Doing 3 months of base containing nothing harder than tempo is going to make trying to hit higher levels later on much more difficult. It's all about maintaining and consolidating gains.

today: 2.5 hr with 3x10 "approximately flat approximately threshold" seated. Long recovery to get back to the start that I did at L2+ - I had anticipated the road to be more downhill and expected it would be much quicker to get back to the start for a repeat but it still ended up taking ~10 minutes, so maybe I should have just done the intervals in both directions. Watts 10% lower than on a climb, though part of that could be blamed on the fact that I was trying to do all the intervals seated - probably could have narrowed the gap a bit if I allowed myself to stand.

Definitely stressed different muscles from doing the workout on the flat - its going to be a tough day at work given how tired my legs are
Old 10-21-15, 12:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
75' of mellow, mostly z2 commuting on the fixed gear.
Old 10-21-15, 12:53 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2 hours on carriage roads and trails on the cross bike, with 30 minutes of tempo and 30 minutes of threshold. And about 30 minutes of stopping to take photos of the incredible gold, orange, red leaf insanity, but it all looked so small and ordinary in the photos and I ended up deleting them all.
Old 10-21-15, 01:13 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And about 30 minutes of stopping to take photos of the incredible gold, orange, red leaf insanity, but it all looked so small and ordinary in the photos and I ended up deleting them all.
This is pretty much the result of every photo I have ever taken.
Old 10-21-15, 02:27 PM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Turns out this Prilosec is actually doing something for my gut... I've been feeling better over the past few days.

Was able to kick down 3hrs at a solid (for me) ~180w AP this morning (harder on climbs), 1hr at a high tempo yesterday and 2hrs on the MTB Sun, mostly screwing around.

I realize that the Prilosec is mainly just treating my symptoms (sour, upset stomach and nausea) and not necessarily the underlying cause, so it may be a couple months or more before I'm really in the clear with this, but at least I can ride. After speaking with the doc yesterday, we both decided that it was stupid that the first doc. I saw didn't request a stool antigen test for H. Pylori - Omeprazole causes false negatives, of course.

Anyway, long story short: I'm happy to be riding, felt great this morning. Looking forward to kicking down some more MTB tomorrow, and then 5+ hrs on the road on Sat!!!
Have you tried eating yogurt every day? Maybe activa? I hear great things, and not just from the commercials. I'm going to try it.

It's almost 80 degrees, a few days after flurries came down this past weekend. Going to ride in shorts tomorrow!
Old 10-21-15, 02:28 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
A bridge too far; ended 5x5's after second effort. Felt off and don't want to dig a hole, so spun home hella easy. ~2.5hrs
Old 10-21-15, 02:34 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by Gramercy
Have you tried eating yogurt every day? Maybe activa? I hear great things, and not just from the commercials. I'm going to try it.
Yep, been doing probiotics everyday!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.