Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace 11-30 cassette with DI2 RD-9070 reaf mech

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-21, 08:42 AM
wddossett

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, now that I am officially an old, fat boomer :-( and my current chain and cassette are toast. Will the new Dura Ace 9100 11-30 cassette work with this mech, RD-9070? I have a compact up front and its an S-Works Venge. It looks like there is enough space there, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on this and bike shops aren't too keen on taking stuff back once you've mounted it and I am used to super smooth shifting, so don't want to loose that.
Old 01-22-21, 10:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
RD-9070-SS correct? It's a maybe. On the specification side Shimano specs show you'll exceed the max rear sprocket of 28T.

You say you have a compact crankset, 50/34? Assuming that is correct then you'll also be outside the total capacity of 33T by two teeth.

So that's probably why no one wants to guarantee it will work for you. But it might. And plenty of people here say they have success going just over the specs. But again, no guarantee. It's your risk.

If you decide to do it, then you'll have to be certain the DR pully wheels will clear the bigger rear cog. If that can't be done then possibly a wolf link or some other hangar extender might help.

The most likely thing though is that you may not be able to rid yourself of chain slack when in the small front and the small rears.

But if it works to your satisfaction, then you are good. But with the cost of that cassette, I'd probably not risk it. I'd order one of the proper size and wait for it to come in. But if that cost is pocket change for you, then it's worth a look see.
Old 01-22-21, 03:27 PM
wddossett

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, agree on the two teeth out of spec... looking at it, I seem to have quite a lot of room between the rear mech pully and the biggest cog, pretty sure another 2 teeth on that wouldn't be a problem.

I never ride smallest/smallest - or biggest/biggest - just goes against my grain and wears the chain faster :-)

Well, for now I went with a 12/25 cos its the cheapest and I'm only using it on my wahoo kikr for the next few months and I seldom go off the big ring on that even....

Anyway, thanks for the input, appreciate it - come spring I might give it a try!

Originally Posted by Iride01
RD-9070-SS correct? It's a maybe. On the specification side Shimano specs show you'll exceed the max rear sprocket of 28T.

You say you have a compact crankset, 50/34? Assuming that is correct then you'll also be outside the total capacity of 33T by two teeth.

So that's probably why no one wants to guarantee it will work for you. But it might. And plenty of people here say they have success going just over the specs. But again, no guarantee. It's your risk.

If you decide to do it, then you'll have to be certain the DR pully wheels will clear the bigger rear cog. If that can't be done then possibly a wolf link or some other hangar extender might help.

The most likely thing though is that you may not be able to rid yourself of chain slack when in the small front and the small rears.

But if it works to your satisfaction, then you are good. But with the cost of that cassette, I'd probably not risk it. I'd order one of the proper size and wait for it to come in. But if that cost is pocket change for you, then it's worth a look see.
Old 01-22-21, 04:26 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

There is no other D/A derailleur, they only make SS. I would bet that on most bikes it would work, I've done it on some and had it work fine. It is definitely a trial-and-error kind of thing based on the length of the hanger, but the odds are in the OP's favor.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-22-21, 06:21 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
OR...
Buy a "cheap" cassette in the same size and give it a go for $52
It may not shift as nice as the DA, but it's a cheap test.

DA 11-30 $291 211g
Ultegra 11-30 $92 269g
105 11-30 $52 289g